After Ben Lockwood was incarcerated for various crimes of domestic terrorism, Lauren was appointed by vice president/acting president Plastino, as the interim secretary of the United States Department of Alien Affairs.
Becoming Overseer of the D.E.O.
After Supergirl was fired from the D.E.O. by Haley for refusing to reveal her civilian identity, Haley focused on discovering Supergirl's civilian identity. Supergirl refused to back down when Haley used the authority of the President to begin an investigation.
Haley eventually discovered Supergirl's human identity and attempted to force her into government service. When Supergirl refused, she was dismissed from the D.E.O, and Haley employed a Truth Seeker to continue her search for Supergirl's identity. To protect those D.E.O agents that were aware of Supergirl's secret, J'onn J'onzz wiped that knowledge from their minds; Alex reluctantly allows her memory to be wiped as well, to protect herself and her sister, though this later causes tension between her and Supergirl, as her life with Kara was important to her understanding of the alien life the D.E.O. commonly encountered.
Discovering Phil Baker's affiliation to Lex Luthor
Becoming Interim secretary of the United States Department of Alien Affairs
- "I may not be the Woman of Steel, but if you push me, you will find I do not bend."
- —Lauren Haley to Alex Danvers[src]
Haley is tough as nails and only cares about protocol and procedure. She is (initially) loyal to Phil Baker, the new president of the United States (unaware at the time that he did not have the country's best interest at heart) but after Baker went against the protocol of their country by ordering the construction of a satellite with an anti-spacecraft cannon attached to it, she started to ponder on whether the president's strange decisions regarding Ben Lockwood and the satellite were part of something larger.
Haley hated the D.E.O. when J'onn J'onzz (a green martian) was the director of the organization and is initially alien-phobic; she is willing to work with aliens as long as it serves her purposes. As part of Project Morae, she participated in the training of three alien visitors to become "living weapons", though her methods were violent and caused the aliens to rebel and attempt to kill her.
Haley's opinion of aliens starts to change when she sees that then-president Baker is attempting to destroy alien spacecrafts and that the Children of Liberty have transformed into a violent domestic terrorism group. When Supergirls' doppelgänger, Red Daughter, attacks the White House, Haley is overcome with guilt and remorse.
- High-level intellect/Military training/Expert tactician/Leader: As an ex-colonel of United States Marine Corps, Hayley was a highly intelligent individual, an excellent tactician and leader.
- Network: Due to Hayley's affiliation with the Marine Corps and United States Department of Alien Affairs; she had connections with several military organizations.
- Intimidation: Haley was able to intimidate Reiff (off-screen) to the point that she revealed that Kara Danvers is Supergirl.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Lauren Haley is a lieutenant in the Air Force and an associate of Wonder Woman.
- In the DC comics, Lauren Haley is Caucasian.
- ↑ ""