- "In 2166, an immortal tyrant named Vandal Savage conquered the world and murdered my wife and child. I have assembled an elite team to hunt him throughout time and stop his rise to power. Unfortunately, my plan is opposed by the body I'd sworn my allegiance to: the Time Masters. In the future, my friends may not be heroes, but if we succeed, they will be remembered as legends."
- —Rip Hunter (intro of the first season of DC's Legends of Tomorrow)
After stealing the Waverider, Rip Hunter recruited eight men and women to join his mission. Rip told the team they were all considered legends in the future and showed them of the destruction Vandal Savage caused. Rip then gave them thirty-six hours to make up their mind. All but Jefferson Jackson agreed to join the team, the former of which was drugged by Martin Stein and brought to the Waverider.
The team traveled to 1975, just 24 hours prior to Dr. Aldus Boardman's death. Rip Hunter left to see Aldus Boardman with Martin Stein, Ray Palmer, Carter Hall and Kendra Saunders. Sara, Leonard and Mick left for a bar while Jefferson stayed behind. While meeting with Dr. Boardman, Martin Stein sensed Jefferson was in danger and the team rushed back to the Waverider. The team engaged in a brief battle with Chronos as Sara, Leonard and Mick returned. The team managed to escape but Aldus was critically wounded, later dying.
Rip later admitted that the eight weren't considered legends but were instead the exact opposite. While everyone began having second thoughts on the team, the eight eventually decided to join Rip Hunter.
When Carter was killed and Kendra was fatally wounded by Vandal Savage, the team was forced to retrieve from the battlefield for better measurement. Later, as Martin and Ray figured out how to stabilize Kendra, the rest divided into groups for different agendas; Snart and Rory, with Jax as the driver, visited Central City as part of Snart's attempt to change his own past, while Sara and Rip went to cripple Savage's fortune, only to find out his most valuable resource wasn't wealth, but something called the vessel, which turned out to be the corpse of Carter, Savage feeding his minions with Carter's blood to give them increased strength and longevity. Snart's group aided Sara and Rip in time, and they managed to recover Carter's body. Afterwards, the team set a resting place for Carter and Aldus Boardman and said their goodbyes.
Tracking Savage in 1986 after infiltrating the Pentagon, the team learned that he was currently aiding the Soviet Union, working with scientist Valentina Vostok. Arriving in Russia, Ray attempted to make contact with Vostok to convince her that Savage was using her while Stein infiltrated her lab, but he soon realised that Savage's true goal- which Vostok fully supported- was to try and create his own version of Firestorm With Stein, Ray and Rory captured, Hunter was forced to contemplate killing Stein to prevent Savage learning the key to making his own Firestorm, but despite Vostok managing to trigger a combination of her and Stein into a new Firestorm, Jax was able to help Stein break free of her, causing Vostok to blow up and destroy Savage's gulag while the team escaped.
When a subsequent attack by Chronos forced the Waverider to crash-land, the team found themselves in a desolated Star city in 2046, where various gangs ruled the streets led by the ruthless Grant Wilson, only opposed by Connor Hawke after Oliver Queen had 'retired' following his defeat by Grant. Although Rory contemplated staying in this era, the rest of the team were able to rally Oliver to stand up and fight once again, defeating Wilson and prompting the gangs to disperse.
The team suffered a further blow when their attempt to get a data upgrade from an active timeship resulted in them being attacked by time pirates, with Rory nearly betraying the team when Hunter revealed during an argument that he had actually only recruited Rory because he and Snart were a package deal and he actually had no interest in Rory. When the team managed to drive the pirates away and get the upgrade, Snart arranged for Rory to be left behind in an unspecified time rather than kill him. Their subsequent attempt to find a new lead on Savage in 1956 resulted in the Waverider being attacked by Chronos, forcing Hunter, Stein, Jax and Snart to take off without Sara, Ray or Kendra. Although Hunter was able to regain control of the Waverider after Chronos departed with Snart, Ray, Kendra and Sara were in the past for two years, resulting in Ray and Kendra developing a relationship while Sara returned to the League of Assassins out of a lack of anywhere else to go. When the team travelled to Nanda Parbat to rescue Sara, they were confronted by Chronos once again, but Snart revealed that Chronos was actually Rory, retrieved and brainwashed by the Time Masters to act as their agent. A subsequent trip to the future to try and alter the circumstances of Savage's final rise to power failed, although the team were able to rally themselves during a trip to 1870 Salvation in time to save the town from local bandits, as well as time assassins sent after the team.
- Captain "Rip Hunter" (leader and occasional field support)
- Firestorm (field support)
- Sara Lance/White Canary (stealth and field support)
- Gideon (A.I. system)
- Dr. Ray Palmer/The Atom (scientist and field support)
- Mick Rory/Heat Wave (arsonist and field support)
- Kendra Saunders/Hawkgirl (field support and occasional technological support; left to begin a new life after Vandal Savage was defeated)
- Carter Hall/Hawkman (field support; temporarily deceased, but later left after being reincarnated to begin a new life after Vandal Savage was defeated)
- Leonard Snart/Captain Cold (infiltration and field support; status unknown)
- Eve Baxter (uneasy ally)
- Jonah Hex
- Cassandra Savage
- Team Arrow
- Vandal Savage
- Time Masters
- Damien Darhk
- Grant Wilson/Deathstroke (arrested)
- Time Pirates (inactive)
- Jon Valor (leader; arrested)
- Mikhail Arkadin (deceased)
- Druce (deceased)
- Declan (deceased)
- The Hunters (bounty hunters; all deceased)
- The Pilgrim (assassin; deceased)
- Mick Rory/Chronos (bounty hunter; captured and defected)
- Valentina Vostok (deceased)