- "This land is bountiful, but these people, these Skraelings, they're skilled warriors. We should not challenge them. It's time to return home to Greenland."
- —Leif Eriksson[src]
Leif Eriksson was a Viking leader from Greenland. In the year 1000 he, along with his sister Freydís, led an expedition in which they discovered the land of Vinland, which Freydís sought to conquer as the Vikings' New Valhalla. Swayed by the "divine messages" of Beebo, a toy that ended up in Vinland due to an anachronism, Leif and Freydís became a cause for an aberration that was prevented by the Legends.
Discovery of Vinland
In 1000 AD Leif led an expedition of Vikings together with his sister Freydís. They discovered the continent of Vinland, which would become known as North America in the future. The Vikings created a settlement and tried to expand further into the bountiful land, but were opposed by the locals, known to the Vikings as Skraelings. Leif listened to the wisdom of Christian monks and sought to leave Vinland and return home, as the endless war would mean that their people would never know peace.
In an aberration timeline caused by an anachronism, a Beebo toy along with a young Martin Stein found its way into the Leif and his Vikings' midst. The Vikings would be swayed by Freydís to worship Beebo and interpret its words in such a way as to conquer the whole of Vinland and establish New Valhalla, a country dominating the continental United States up to 2017, which would also lead to the spread of Beebo worship, with Beebo Day becoming the popular holiday instead of Christmas.
Encountering the Legends
The Legends tried to prevent this swiftly establishing aberration from fully settling in, arriving to Leif's Yuletide feast as adventurers from a fellow Viking clan, bringing booze with them and gifting to Leif's group. At the feast, Leif spoke to Amaya Jiwe, discussing the difficulties of losing warriors in adventures, offering his condolences regarding the death of Martin Stein, and saying that he, too lost too many men and women of his clan, which, as Freydís remarked, made him soft.
When Mick Rory tried to steal Beebo and his offerings of booze, Freydís demanded his execution, for Mick to be cast into the fire as a sacrifice to Beebo, to which Leif reluctantly agreed as he saw that Beebo's worship had great support. After Mick Rory burned the Beebo toy, Leif remarked that he was right not to trust Beebo, as it was a false god with false promises. The destruction of Beebo was supposed to sway the Vikings back to Christianity, but, alas, the time travelers Damien Darhk and Nora Darhk appeared, presenting themselves as Odin and a Valkyrie, gods from Asgard, and demanding worship.
Damien Darhk's reign would lead to the New Valhalla rising still, now celebrating Odin Day instead of Beebo Day. To prevent that, the Legends launched an operation to stop the Darhks, with Ray Palmer, the Atom, hiding inside another Beebo toy to speak to the Vikings. Leif was astonished by Beebo "rising from the grave" like Jesus Christ, which Ray, as Beebo, encouraged, saying that Jesus was the one true God, but also saying that Jesus's godhood doesn't mean that science or evolution aren't real. Beebo's speech and the Darhks' escape led to the restoration of Christian faith, with Leif finally convincing Freydís to leave Vinland.
Leif was once a fierce warrior who, according to his sister Freydís, became soft after witnessing too many deaths of people under his leadership. He accepted Christianity, believing in Jesus Christ and tried to convince Freydís and other Vikings to follow his example. He ultimately wished peace for his people, trying to stop the war against the Skraelings of Vinland and return to Greenland, listening to the advice of Christian monks who suggested that eternal war would always stop true peace from happening. Leif was also amicable, being a courteous host to his guests at Yuletide, respected men and women the same, and especially loved his sister, to the point that he wouldn't protest to her belief in Beebo or demands to break guest rights and execute Mick Rory in Beebo's name.
- Leadership: Leif was the leader of a Viking clan, focused on exploring Vinland and making sure his men come home alive back to Greenland.
- Skilled swordsman: Like other Viking warriors, Leif was capable with a sword, using it during a confrontation with the Legends.
- Armor: Leif wore a suit of protective armor.
- Sword: Like other Viking warriors, Leif was armed with a sword.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
Behind the scenes
- Historically, Leifr Eiríksson, commonly known nowadays as Leif Erikson, was a real life person, a Norse explorer from Iceland. He was the first known European to have discovered continental North America (excluding Greenland), before Christopher Columbus. According to the Sagas of Icelanders, he established a Norse settlement at Vinland, tentatively identified with L'Anse aux Meadows on the northern tip of Newfoundland in modern-day Canada.
- In DC Comics continuity, a fictionalized Leif Ericson appeared in Leading Comics #8.