Lois Lane is a top reporter of the Daily Planet as well as the estranged daughter of Sam Lane, the estranged older sister of Lucy Lane, and the fiancée of Clark Kent. A strong and assertive reporter who will rush headlong into dangerous situation to uncover the truth, Lois was in love with both Superman and Clark for a very long time, unaware that they were in reality the same person. Eventually, Clark revealed his alter-ego to her and they became engaged.
Lois Lane was born in Metropolis to General Sam Lane. She has a younger sister, Lucy, but for unspecified reasons, the two never really got along. Despite being raised into a family with a long military tradition, Lois never attended a military academy nor joined the U.S. Army; instead, she pursued a career in investigative journalism, rising to become one of the best reporters of the Daily Planet.
Over the years, Lois' grew estranged from her father due to the Sam's immorality, black and white view of aliens, and control issues over his daughter's life.
Lois won numerous award during the course of her career and was one of the first reporters to interview Superman, remaining one of his closest allies and developing strong romantic feelings for him. She also began a strong rivalry with Cat Grant during the period in which the latter worked as the assistant to the Daily Planet's editor-in-chief, Perry White. When Clark Kent began to work at the Daily Planet, he was paired with Lois and fell in love with her at first sight.
Trying to get an interview with Supergirl
In late 2015 when Supergirl appeared in National City for the first time, Lois, along with Clark, was said to furiously be working on getting an exclusive with the superheroine. Over the following years however, Lois was apparently introduced to Supergirl by Clark and learned her civilian identity, Kara Danvers, and the two women soon became good friends.
In late 2016 as Clark went on a brief visit to National City, Lois called him in order to check if he was alright.
Visiting Argo City
At some point after the battle against the Worldkillers, Clark decided to take a sabbatical from Earth to visit Argo City, leaving Kara in charge of the planet full-time. He also brought Lois with him in order to share the experience of "connecting with Kryptonian culture" with the woman he loves. Clark and Lois explored the Jewel Mountains and attended several deliberations of the High Council.
Around this time, Lois became pregnant.
Back to Earth and battle for Earth-1
In his first spare day after he returned to Earth, Clark goes to the Kent Farm where he was raised, taking with him Lois and Kara in order to do some repairs to the van and the barn as well as enjoy an afternoon together. There, Lois tried once more to convince him to let her write an article about their time on Argo City despite Clark was skeptical as the public would then demand why Lois Lane was off-world with Superman, to which she pointed out she would invent something and that being the first woman who ever visited Krypton's remains is just something she "needed to write", finally managing to convince him before going to the barn in order to drive nails with a hammer.
While in the barn she got approached by Barry Allen and Oliver Queen, who arrived directly from Earth-1, at first she got scared and tried to fend them off with a hammer but, after Kara explained they were her friends, she cools off and introduced cheerfully. Later, they explained to her, Kara and Clark their situations of having switched powers and lives due to an unknown reason. Clark offered the two some time in his farm in order reflect about what to do, however, a few hours later, Vibe came to the place telling them about A.M.A.Z.O.'s rampage on Earth-1's Central City leading them to come back. Lois suggested Clark join the fight.
A few hours later, while they were together in the Fortress of Solitude intent on preparing a barbecue, Lois and Clark are visited once more by Oliver, Barry and Cisco, the two explained to him that they were rendered powerless as well as a couple of criminals nicknamed the Trigger Twins, while Cisco was now a mob boss and Kara was held prisoner at the S.T.A.R. Labs after their Earth's reality was reshaped for the second time by Doctor John Deegan who, using the Book of Destiny, has given to himself Superman's destiny, looks and powers, taking over the whole world and becoming a sort of dictator. Clark explained he had seen similar artifacts in the past and know how to deal with them, as they're activated with the power of the mind and everything they had to do is to find that book. Hearing that, Cisco revealed to them that it's something important to him, probably "Superman" kept it in his vault inside the S.T.A.R. Labs, to which Clark and Lois exchanged a look of complicity saying he needed to go back to Earth-1.
Later, as Superman was battling Doctor Deegan on Earth-1 and he spawned a new A.M.A.Z.O. out of the Book to fight him, Lois arrived from Earth-38 armed with the Solar Hammer and leading a supporting team composed of Brainiac 5 and the Martian Manhunter. While Brainy handled A.M.A.Z.O. and J'onn protected the civilians, Superman and Lois attacked Deegan using the hammer, leading the Doctor to reach for the Book of Destiny sending a powerful shockwave that sent Lois several feet in the air in freefall just in the exact moment Flash and Supergirl managed to slow down the Eath's time. Green Arrow took the opportunity to throw an arrow at the Book of Destiny and destroying it turning the reality back to normal, as well as Deegan's body, although with a scarred face who looks more like a skeleton. As soon as time began to flow again normally Superman reached for Lois, catching her just in time, while Brainy shut down A.M.A.Z.O. removing the robot's hard drive and completing the heroes' victory.
Back to Earth-38's Smallville, after Clark told Kara that he believed she's stronger than he could ever be and that's the reason why he's sure he was making the right thing, she asked him what does it mean and Lois reached them telling Clark to merely be direct, indirectly leading Kara to realize they're having a baby. After she happily congratulated with them, Clark revealed to her their intention to move to Argo City until the child is born and maybe a little longer. Although she knew she will miss both her cousin and Lois, Kara was overjoyed to hear him tell her that "the world doesn't need Superman if it has Supergirl" and that he felt it's safe to let its protection in her hands for a little while.
Back to the Fortress, while spending the evening together, Clark absentmindedly burns the barbecue and, after Lois made him notice it he apologized telling her that he wanted that night to be perfect; after the woman asked why Clark fumbled awkwardly about wishing all of their nights together to be perfect forever, to which Lois smiled and reminded him once more to be direct. Then, with a single clench of his fist, Clark put a chunk of coal under enough pressure to turn it into a diamond, placed it on a ring, kneel and started to propose to Lois, who accept to marry and passionately kissed him even before he managed to finish his sentence.
- "If you're not, I will, Smallville."
- —Lois Lane to Clark Kent on teaming up with the heroes of Earth-1[src]
Lois is described as "an award-winning, tenacious, righteous, and stubborn reporter who will go to any lengths to get the story and almost never fails". She is known to do anything to get to the bottom of a story, even risking her own life in the process; according to Lois herself, "when you get kidnapped, you're on the right track" in reporting. Lois is known to be a strong and assertive woman, more than capable of handling herself in dangerous situations. She is also kind and open-minded, as evidenced by her admiration of Superman and Supergirl, both extraterrestrials.
Lois has a difficult relationship with her father, Sam Lane, partly due to his disapproval of/interfering in her relationships with men and mainly because of his immoral traits, as Sam has an anti-view on aliens in general. For unknown reasons, Lois also does not get along with her younger sister, Lucy, at all.
Lois is quite outspoken and direct, often reminding Clark not to "beat around the bush". As a result, she is also somewhat inhibited regarding her private or sexual life. Lois has an innate excitable and adventurous side, never wanting to miss the chance to be into the field, as demonstrated when she watched Barry Allen and Oliver Queen starting a fight and began cheering for the first or when she told Clark that if he doesn't want to go to Earth-1 to fight A.M.A.Z.O., she would have been happy to do it.
- High-level intellect/Expert tactician/Leader: Lois is highly intelligent, being considered her greatest rival by Cat Grant herself. Despite her well-known recklessness, Lois is quite an exceptional tactician, having formed a team consisting of Martian Manhunter and Brainiac 5 to assist Superman in the final fight against John Deegan, even bringing them on Earth-1 just at the right time. She is always full of good advice and has proven to be a capable leader.
- Network: As a top reporter of the Daily Planet, Lois has a wide array of contacts.
- Solar Hammer: Lois has wielded a mysterious warhammer, usually stored in the Fortress of Solitude, that, whenever is activated, touched, or comes in contact with a surface, generates a burst of light energy.
Adventures of Supergirl
- Unlike her DC comics counterpart, the Arrowverse's version of Lois and her sister Lucy do not get along at all.
- Like her DC comic book counterpart, Lois does not have a good relationship with her father.
- Just like her comic book counterpart, Lois often calls Clark by the nickname "Smallville", which she has given to him due to his origins as a "small-town-farm-boy".
- She seems to be fond of pashminas.
- Lois is the first character to be introduced on another show, , before appearing in her own show.
- Lois is the first known human to visit and later on live in a Kryptonian city.
Behind the scenes
- Lois Lane first appeared in Action Comics #1 (June, 1938) and was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. She is an investigative reporter at the Daily Planet and Superman's main love interest.
- Elizabeth Tulloch is the fifth actress to portray Lois Lane whose older than the actor portraying Superman; she is 6 years older than Tyler Hoechlin while Amy Adams is 9 years older than Henry Cavill, Teri Hatcher is 2 years older than Dean Cain, Lesley Ann Warren is 3 years older than David Wilson, and Margot Kidder was 4 years older than Christopher Reeve.
- Tulloch personally emailed the wardrobe designer, asking for Lois' outfit to be purple after seeing pictures of the character depicted in her trademark color in other media on Twitter. She reportedly said, "We have to have her in purple! It's her color!"
- The dress Lois wears when Clark proposes to her pays homage to Margot Kidder's Lois Lane from the Superman films.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 ""
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 ""
- ↑ ""
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 ""
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 ""
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6 6.7 ""
- ↑ ""
- ↑ ""
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 9.5 9.6 9.7 ""
- ↑ EXCLUSIVE: Arrowverse Crossover Breakdown For Lois Lane! - ThatHashtagShow
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 ""
- ↑ Elizabeth Tulloch "We HAVE to have her in purple!"
- ↑ Elizabeth Tulloch tribute to Margot Kidder