- "Isn't that what anarchy is? The intersection of seemingly unconnected events?"
- —Lonnie Machin[src]
Lonnie Machin, nicknamed Anarky by Felicity Smoak, is the foster son of the late Michael Olguin and the late Crystal Olguin. He was a former part-time mob enforcer originally hired by Damien Darhk to stop Jessica Danforth from running for mayor. However, after his disfigurement, Machin became an anarchist with the intentions of destroying both H.I.V.E. and Green Arrow, but he ultimately failed.
Machin worked as an enforcer for Rick Pinzolo, the Bertinelli crime family and Chinese Triad, becoming wanted for one count of murder and two counts of attempted murder. He was eventually fired by Pinzolo and many other criminal organizations because they realized that Machin was not only too unstable and extreme, but also lacked a moral compass and a sense of honor.
Stint with H.I.V.E.
In October 2015, Machin began working for H.I.V.E., who hired him to stop Jessica Danforth from running for Mayor of Star City. After Machin's set up an attack at Jessica's mayoral announcement, he escorted her out. When a security guard noticed he wasn't part of Jessica's detail, Machin attacked the guard with his electric baton. Before he could go after Jessica, Oliver Queen threw him off a balcony. Machin was chased by Oliver through the building and over rooftops but managed to escape, though he left his fingerprints behind on a windshield.
Later, Damien Darhk complimented Machin on his "flair for the dramatic" before stating he wasn't worthy of joining H.I.V.E. and attempted to pay him off. Machin refused the money, asking for a second chance. Darhk obliged, but warned Machin that his organization doesn't believe in third chances.
Machin then kidnapped Jessica's daughter, Madison Danforth, after slaughtering the police officers protecting her in an attempt to force her mother to drop out of the mayoral race. Darhk met with Machin once more, demanding to know the whereabouts of Madison. Although Machin was quite pleased with his efforts, Darhk was visibly shocked at his "sloppy" and extreme tactics, declaring that he had crossed a line. Darhk scolded Machin, citing the former's preferences and respect for order, precision, and discipline while all the latter represented was anarchy. Darhk subsequently terminated his and H.I.V.E.'s relationship with Machin and ordered the latter once more to clean up his mess.
After he was rejected by Darhk, Machin vented his frustrations on the world's dismissal of randomness to a terrified Madison while getting out some tools. He then pretended to free Madison but suddenly broke her pinky, telling her he changed his mind. Just then, Team Arrow arrived and saved Madison. Machin used a flamethrower as a distraction and slipped away. When Green Arrow and Speedy confronted him, Machin shocked Speedy with his baton before battling and eventually overpowering Green Arrow. He was then attacked by Speedy, who knocked him into some chemicals. She then used Machin's baton on him, setting him on fire. Machin was quickly extinguished and saved by Green Arrow, but sustained severe burns.
Hunting down Damien Darhk
Several months later in January, Machin tracked down and killed his foster parents. Now wearing a mask, he went after Damien Darhk as revenge for his betrayal. Machin managed to locate the lair of H.I.V.E. and killed all the Ghosts present. However, Darhk had anticipated his arrival and had fled. Machin stayed at his former home, where he placed several boobytraps as he expected a counterstrike from H.I.V.E.. However, Team Arrow showed up instead. He expressed joy to see them and then ran off while planted rifles forced them to take cover. Speedy chased him and Machin knocked her over with an explosive. Machin assured Speedy that he would not hurt her as she had helped him get to his true self. As Speedy aimed her bow, he encouraged her to kill him. Black Canary interrupted and Machin attacked her. However, he was ambushed and knocked out by Green Arrow and Spartan.
Green Arrow tied Machin to a pole and questioned him. Machin refused to say anything, proclaiming there was nothing the archer could do to him that he had not enjoyed already. Machin later talked to Speedy and claimed she had burned away his weaknesses as he had now transcended to something better. Machin then began taunting Speedy, stating that he knew she wanted to kill him and could not control herself, mentioning he noticed the hunger to inflict death in her eyes. Speedy was about to impale an arrow to Machin's throat when the cops showed up, forcing her to flee.
As the police drove him away, Green Arrow showed up and set Machin free. Machin stated that he would not reveal where Darhk was but Green Arrow told him he had to kill Darhk.
Machin was able to quickly track down the house where Darhk's family lived in Stonehaven. He painted his anarchy symbols all over the property and took Darhk's wife, Ruvé, and daughter, Nora, hostage. After calling Darhk to come and face him, Machin prepared to torture Ruvé and Nora with a flamethrower while waiting. Suddenly, Team Arrow burst in and Machin was surprised that they were trying to stop him again. While Spartan and Black Canary freed his hostages, Green Arrow and Speedy engaged Machin, who eventually subdued them before running off. Speedy chased him and tied him to a tree with a trick arrow. She prepared to kill him, but stopped at the last moment. Disappointed that she would not kill him, Machin cut himself free from his restraints. He quickly defeated Speedy and then seemed to pause for a moment before running off.
Rampage in Tevat NoahIn May, Machin was able to find the underground H.I.V.E. facility, Tevat Noah, and infiltrated the place. He killed multiple guards and questioned some to learn more about the facility and where Darhk was. Machin then took control of a house which controlled the CO2 scrubbers of the facility and threatened to stop the life support system. Machin mocked some captured guards about living underground like parasites as he prepared to shut down the life support system. However, Thea Queen showed up and told him to stop. Machin initially told her to leave but she identified herself as the one who burned him. Thea tried to talk him down but as Machin did not respond, Malcolm Merlyn shot an arrow into his shoulder. Machin fired his gun at Malcolm and fled the scene.
Machin tracked down Thea's boyfriend, Alex Davis, and knocked him unconscious. After Thea found Alex, Machin revealed himself and expressed his dissatisfaction that she stopped his plan to take vengeance on Darhk. Since he now had to wait for Darhk, he had "time to kill". Machin claimed that Thea had a problem of always being at the mercy of some guy when she is independent to make her own decisions and be "a queen". Thea attacked him and the two engaged in a fierce battle. As Alex woke up and regained his senses, Machin quickly knocked Thea down and proclaimed he was "liberating [her]" from this guy clouding her mind. As Thea screamed for Alex to run, Machin gave him a fatal electric shock with his baton, killing him. Enraged, Thea attacked Machin and was able to knock him out.
As Malcolm showed up with multiple H.I.V.E. soldiers, Machin quickly vanished from the scene. Wandering around the facility, he infiltrated the building where Ruvé was and eavesdropped on her as she scolded Malcolm for his inability to take down Machin. He later attacked Ruvé, managing to kidnap her and Nora again. Machin held them hostage in the power supply room, where he tampered with the engineering, which made the energy supply highly unstable. Broadcasting a message with a video camera, Machin wanted Darhk to pay for his betrayal; if Darhk would not surrender himself, Machin would kill his wife or daughter in 20 minutes and blow the entire facility up in 21 minutes.As he waited, Machin reflected to Ruvé about the last time he used her and her daughter as bait when trying to kill her husband. Ruvé warned him that he was about to destroy the last safe place on Earth, but Machin simply mentioned he was not "a rational guy". Machin was then shot in his leg with an arrow by Green Arrow as he, Spartan, and Thea arrived, demanding that Machin let Ruvé and Nora go. Machin warned them that shooting him would be unwise as the entirety of Tevat Noah could explode with a missed shot. Machin then tried to stab Ruvé with the arrow from his leg but was stopped by Green Arrow, who shot him in the shoulder. However, a missed shot from Thea hit the Dwarf star alloy power source and sure enough, Tevat Noah began to crumble. Machin quickly yanked the arrow from his shoulder and stabbed Ruvé in her heart. As the facility was collapsing, Machin briefly battled Spartan, Green Arrow, and Thea, managing to fend them off. He bid goodbye to Thea and escaped.
Against Star City
Five months later, Machin planned to destroy at least half of Star City using a bomb. However, he was confronted by Green Arrow. Upon seeing him, Machin used a pair of kamas to engage the vigilante. After a brutal fight, Green Arrow subdued Machin and impaled his hands against the wall with an arrow. Machin expressed disappointment that Green Arrow would not kill him, after which the emerald archer knocked him out, leaving Machin for the SCPD to arrest.
- "I respect order, Mr. Machin. Discipline, precision. You are sloppy. All you represent is anarchy."
- —Damien Darhk[src]
Machin is a sadistic murderer and psychopath, taking deep pleasure in making his victims suffer, as he was planning to torture Madison Danforth for hours. Machin also enjoys playing mind games with his victims, feigning mercy and making conversation before resuming his torture. He believes that the natural order of things is chaos, reveling in the randomness of the world. Machin is proven to be confident and ambitious, as he was barely fazed whenever confronted by Team Arrow.
Machin has no guilt or remorse for killing innocent individuals, including children, and does nothing to try to avoid it, as he is completely devoid of honor, morals or even reason. Machin's philosophy of anarchy seems to be his code as he himself does not obey any laws or even logic. His psychopathic tendencies were so extreme, they led to Machin being fired by all the criminal organizations he worked for.
- "Does this mean you're not gonna kill me? What's a guy gotta do to get a little love? Only tried blowing up the city. I mean, half of it."
- —Lonnie Machin to Green Arrow[src]
After Machin was burned by Thea Queen, he somehow considered himself to be more complete and mentioned his weaknesses were gone. As a result, Machin also developed an obsession of some sort with Thea and considered her burning him a "baptism by fire"; when he met Thea again, Machin claimed he recognized pieces of himself in her and wanted her to kill him, becoming highly disappointed and angry when she refused. Machin also seemed to have a twisted sort of affection for Thea, calling her "Mommy" for "creating him" by burning his body. He has been proven to care for Thea in his own strange way, commenting on his "Mommy's" strength and good looks, as well as trying to "liberate" her from the influence of other men in her life by killing Alex Davis.
After Damien Darhk sold him out, Machin became focused on killing him as payback. His obsession with this revenge went so far that Machin even wanted to destroy Tevat Noah and kill hundreds of innocents in the process just to hurt Damien. Machin even went after Damien's wife, Ruvé Adams and young daughter, Nora Darhk, whom he was willing to brutally torture and kill.
Machin is proven to be completely aware that his rage has overwhelmed his judgment, yet seems proud of it; when Ruvé warned him that destroying Tevat Noah would doom humanity, he simply responded, "Did I leave you with the impression that I was a rational guy?"
- Peak of human physical condition: Machin is in top physical condition; able to deflect arrows shot at him.
- High-level intellect/Expert tactician: Machin is very skilled in misdirection and preparation, able to skillfully get to his targets with little chance of being caught before it is too late. From the knowledge he already had after working with Damien Darhk, Machin was able to find and infiltrate H.I.V.E.'s lair and Damien's home despite both locations being off the records and highly concealed. Machin was able to pose as a member of Jessica Danforth's security detail to take her out. By himself, Machin was able to identify and systematically target the vital systems of Tevat Noah in order to destroy the entire facility.
- Expert engineer: Machin was a highly trained engineer, able to design booby traps using machine guns and explosive devices while attacking Jessica and hiding out in his foster parents' home. Machin had a considerable amount of knowledge on the design of Tevat Noah, as shown when he nearly shut down the life support system and sabotaged the power supply.
- Master interrogator/Torturer: Machin is highly accomplished in the use of torture, having an extensive array of tools at his disposal to make victims suffer. His skill in torture is such that Machin was able to crack one of Damien Darhk's "Ghosts" easily despite their reputation for preferring to die rather than give up any information about H.I.V.E.
- Expert hand-to-hand combatant/Martial artist: Machin is a highly trained hand-to-hand combatant and martial artist, able to easily take out multiple police officers. Machin has been able to fight on par against Thea on multiple occasions but was ultimately bested by her twice, though he managed to briefly stalemate her in their final encounter. Machin was able to go head-on against Green Arrow on several occasions, though he only managed to defeat the vigilante archer in their first confrontation by using dirty tactics. In his final confrontation against the vigilante archer, Machin displayed expertise in a number of well-coordinated kicks, punches, and grappling attacks, though was soon overpowered.
- Master stick-fighter: Machin is an extremely capable stick-fighter, able to use an electric baton to block arrows and turn it into a three-section staff during combat. Using his skills, Machin was able to overpower Green Arrow in their first confrontation, albeit by fighting dirty. In their second confrontation, he was able to fight on par with Green Arrow and Speedy long enough to knock them down and flee. Machin was later able to fend off Green Arrow, Spartan, and Thea simultaneously before escaping, though it should be noted that his opponents were also struggling with the collapsing surroundings.
- Master knife wielder: During his final battle against Green Arrow, Machin displayed incredible proficiency with a pair of kamas.
- Indomitable will/High pain tolerance/Master survivor: In addition to his love of inflicting pain, Machin is proven to have a very high resilience to it; after being severely burned by Speedy, Machin was able to escape police captivity while slaughtering the paramedics on duty. Even while suffering from three wounds inflicted by arrows, Machin was able to keep going without slowing down and still fight with great efficiency.
- Stealth/Infiltration/Escape artist: Machin is highly skilled in sneaking around unnoticed. He was able to abduct Madison Danforth from her college undetected. After Thea knocked him out, Machin was able to vanish once he recovered in mere seconds. Machin even broke into the heavily guarded, underground facility of Tevat Noah and moved around unnoticed, to the point that not even Malcolm Merlyn could completely track him.
- Electric baton: Machin used an electric baton to shock and kill his targets. The baton is also capable of expanding into a three-section staff.
- Flamethrower: Machin used a flamethrower in his masked alter-ego when threatening Damien Darhk's family.
- Kamas: In their latest confrontation, Machin used a pair of kamas to battle Green Arrow.
- Knife: Machin carries at least one knife with him, which he used to cut himself free after being ensnared by Speedy's trick arrow.
- Mask: Machin would wear a Halloween mask following his disfigurement.
- Machin's stick-based and acrobatic fighting style appears to be a blend of the Japanese martial art Bojitsu and Chinese Wushu.
- Machin is one of the few individuals to defeat Oliver Queen in combat on more than one occasion (albeit by using dirty tactics) and is also one of the few individuals to do so without powers.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC universe, Lonnie Machin is an enemy of Batman and Robin, known as Anarky. He is usually portrayed as considerably younger while donning a red cloak and golden mask. Most versions of Anarky actually show him as a vigilante who wants innocents to be saved, as he sees the government as an enemy that must be destroyed, along with corruption.