Lucius Fox (died 2015) was a tech genius, a member of Mensa, and a manager of Wayne Enterprises. He was the husband of an unnamed woman and the father of Luke Fox, as well as a good friend of Alfred Pennyworth, the godfather of Julia Pennyworth, and the close friend and confidante of Bruce Wayne. Lucius was responsible for obtaining many of the resources needed to develop Batman's equipment.
Lucius Fox was born and raised in Gotham City. An extremely brilliant man, he became a member of Mensa in his youth. In adulthood, Lucius worked as a manager for Wayne Enterprises, specifically the company's R&D subsidiary.
Raising a family and helping Batman
At some point in his life, Lucius married a woman and had a son, Luke. He was a good friend of Alfred Pennyworth, who made him the godfather of his daughter, Julia. Lucius was also a close friend of Bruce Wayne and one of the only two known individuals with whom he was completely open, the other being Alfred; Lucius was made aware of when Bruce started his crusade as Batman and was the one responsible for designing the Batsuit, using military-grade kevlar braided in enriched carbon nanotubes.
Sometime after developing the Batsuit, Lucius discovered that it could possibly be pierced by Green Kryptonite, implying he had knowledge about the substance and possibly also encountered Superman. Lucius gave a shard of the mineral to Gotham University's geology expert, Professor M. Darby, to conduct some research on it for a few months before the Kryptonite was returned to Wayne Enterprises.
In 2015, while celebrating Luke's graduation and admission into MIT, Lucius went to grab some ice at Sip&Dash, during which he started to chat with the other customers, including Reggie Harris, about how proud he was of his son. Before he could exit Sip&Dash, Lucius was confronted by Miguel Robles, who was hired by Tommy Elliot to acquire a special journal the former wrote about Wayne Enterprises' tech. Lucius refused to give up the journal despite being held at gunpoint so Robles threatened to go after his son, Luke. An enraged Lucius tried to attack Robles, only for Robles to accidentally shoot Lucious in the chest, killing him instantly.
Robles covered up the murder by knocking out Reggie and drenching him in Lucius' blood.
After Lucius' death, his killer was apparently brought to justice by Stu Donnelly. Four years later however in 2019, Stu, Angus Stanton, and Raymond Calverick's crimes of framing innocent people were exposed to the public by Batwoman following the Executioner's rampage. As a result, the district attorney and Judge Davis Wellington re-opened all the cases that were tainted by the criminal cabal's actions, including Lucius' murder.
In 2020, a recently-released Reggie Harris was killed by a sniper and Sophie Moore was also targeted, but she was saved by Lucius' goddaughter, Julia Pennyworth. In addition, Jacob Kane was also targeted but he managed to kill his attempted killer. Julia and Sophie realized that someone was trying to stop them from investigating Lucius' murder.
Lucius's real killer was finally revealed to be Miguel Robles, a corrupt Crows Security agent, through the investigations of Sophie, Jacob, Julia, Kate, and Lucius' son, Luke, after Robles started using the alias of "The Detonator". When Luke confronted Robles underneath Wayne Tower, he angrily held him at gunpoint and planned to kill him to avenge his father's death. However, Kate talked Luke out of this and the two saved Robles from the explosion underneath the tower. Robles was then arrested and sent to Blackgate Penitentiary, getting true justice for Lucius' murder.
As hinted through mentions of him, Lucius Fox was considered to be a good man by many. Alfred Pennyworth respected Lucius so much he decided to make him the godfather of his daughter, Julia Pennyworth. Before Bruce Wayne left Gotham City, he trusted Lucius to manage Wayne Enterprises. Lucius even provided Bruce with all the equipment needed for Batman, hinting that he shared Bruce's passion to protect others.
Lucius was also regarded to be a cautious and secretive individual, as he wrote his journal in code so no one else could read it. In his journal, Lucius proved to be meticulous and organized, detailing every piece of technology that Batman used, as well as the many adventures the vigilante had. Lucius was fiercely loyal to his family and Bruce, for whom he would do anything to protect. When Miguel Robles demanded Lucius's journal from Wayne Enterprises, he adamantly refused out of loyalty to Bruce. When Robles considered harming Lucious' son, Luke, as leverage, this enraged Lucius so much that he was willing to attack Robles unarmed.
Lucius was shown to have deeply loved Luke and his family as according to Reggie Harris, he frequently expressed pride in his son's potential, even boasting about how Luke was going to change the world.
Lucius died a brave and honorable man, refusing to compromise his morals even at the cost of his life.
- "You know who you sound like?"
- "I'm sure you'll tell me."
"Trust me, I am far cry from my father."
"Oh, I know. He was actually useful."
- —Kate Kane and Luke Fox on Lucius Fox[src]
- Genius-level intellect/Great business acumen/Expert scientist: Lucius was an extremely intelligent individual, being a member of Mensa and having an IQ of 163. He excelled in several fields of science and turned Wayne Enterprises into one of the most technologically advanced companies in the world, forging it into a multinational corporate giant. Lucius was also unparalleled in the world of business and finance.
- Master engineer: Lucius was a brilliant inventor and renowned mechanical engineer, having designed his own enriched carbon nanotubes in the Batsuit, a design that has yet to be replicated by anyone else and making the suit one-of-a-kind. He was also responsible for spearheading most of Wayne Enterprises' technology.
- Multilingualism: Lucius was capable of fluently speaking English, Aramaic, Mayan, and Babylonian.
- Glasses: Lucius wore special glasses of his own design, equipped with HUD digitally-ingrained lens linked to an A.I. that could easily decipher the code he used to write his journal.
- His journal: An encoded book containing the secrets of all the weapons developed by Wayne Tech, including a way to activate a fail-safe in the Batsuit that would kill the wearer.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Lucius Fox served as the CEO of Wayne Enterprises, and also provided Bruce Wayne with the latest gadgets in his crusade against crime.
|Other versions of Lucius Fox|
|To see other versions of this character, click the Earth name below for that Earth's counterpart of Lucius Fox.|
|Earth: 1 • TUD14|