Lucius Fox (died 2015) was a tech genius, a member of Mensa, and a manager of Wayne Enterprises. He was the husband of an unnamed woman, the father of Luke Fox, and the godfather of Julia Pennyworth, as well as a good friend of Alfred Pennyworth and the close friend and confidante of Bruce Wayne. Lucius' was responsible for obtaining many of the resources needed to develop Batman's equipment.
Lucius Fox was born and raised in Gotham City. An extremely brilliant man with an IQ of 163, Lucius became a member of Mensa in his youth. In adulthood, he worked as a manager for Wayne Enterprises, specifically the company's R&D subsidiary.
At some point in his life, Lucius married a woman and had a son, Luke. He was a good friend of Alfred Pennyworth, who made him the godfather of his daughter, Julia. Lucius was a close friend of Bruce Wayne and one of the only two known individuals with whom he was completely open, the other being Alfred; when Bruce started his crusade as Batman, Lucius was made aware of this and was the one responsible for designing the Batsuit using military-grade kevlar braided in enriched carbon nanotubes.
Sometime after developing the Batsuit, Lucius discovered that it could possibly be pierced by Green Kryptonite, implying Lucius Fox had knowledge about it and possibly also encountered Superman. Lucius gave a shard of the mineral to Gotham University's geology expert Professor M. Darby to conduct some study on it for a few months, then the Kryptonite was returned to Wayne Enterprises.
In 2015, while celebrating his son's graduation and admission to MIT, Lucius went to grab some ice at Sip&Dash, during which he started to chat with the other customers, included Reggie Harris, about how proud he was about his son. Before he could exit the store, he was confronted by Miguel Robles who was hired by Tommy Elliot to acquire a special journal Lucius wrote about Wayne Enterprises' tech. Lucius refused to give up the journal despite being at gunpoint so Robles threatened to go after his son Luke, to which an enraged Lucius tried to attack him, only for Robles to accidentally shoot him in chest and kill him instantly.
Robles covered up his murder by knocking out Reggie Harris and drenching him in Lucius' blood.
After Lucius' death, his killer was apparently brought to justice by Stu Donnelly. However, in 2019, Angus Stanton, Stu and Raymond Calverick's past crimes were subsequently exposed to the public by Batwoman. As a result, the District Attorney and Judge Davis Wellington re-opened all cases that were tainted by the criminal cabal's actions.
In 2020, a recently released Reggie Harris was killed by a sniper and Sophie Moore was also targeted, but she was saved by Lucius' goddaughter, Julia Pennyworth. In addition, Jacob Kane was also targeted but he managed to kill his attempted killer. Julia and Sophie realize that someone is trying to stop them from investigating into Lucius' murder.
Lucius's real killer was finally revealed to be Miguel Robles, a corrupt Crows Security agent, through the investigations of Sophie, Jacob, Julia, Kate and Lucius' son, Luke after Robles started going under the alias of "The Detonator". When Luke confronted Robles underneath Wayne Tower, he angrily held him at gunpoint and decided to kill him to avenge his father's death. However, he was talked out of it by Kate, who had been traumatized by killing August Cartwright and the two saved him from the explosion underneath the tower. After that, Robles was arrested and sent to Blackgate Penitentiary for Lucius' murder.
As hinted through mentions of him, Lucius Fox was considered to be a good man by others. Because Alfred Pennyworth respected Lucius, he decided that Lucius would be the godfather of his daughter Julia Pennyworth. Before Bruce Wayne left Gotham City, Bruce allowed Lucius to manage Wayne Enterprises and Lucius provided Bruce with all the equipment needed to be Batman, hinting that Lucius shared Bruce's passion to protect others.
Lucius was also regarded to be a cautious and secretive individual, as he wrote his journal in code so others would fail to read it. In his journal, Lucius details on every piece of technology that Batman used work as well as the many adventures Batman had with individuals such as Talia al Ghul. Despite this, Lucius was still loyal to Bruce and to his family, whom Lucius would do anything to protect. When Agent Robles confronted Lucius demanding his journal for Wayne Enterprises, Lucius refused out of loyalty to Bruce. When Robles decided he was going to harm Lucius' son Luke for the journal, this enraged Lucius so much that Lucius attacked Robles only for Robles to shoot him by accident. Lucius has been shown to have truly loved Luke and his family because before his murder took place, according to Reggie Harris, Lucius wouldn't stop talking about how proud he was of his son Luke. Lucius even boasted about how his son was going to change the world.
Lucius Fox died a good man.
- "You know who you sound like?"
- "I'm sure you'll tell me."
"Trust me, I am far cry from my father."
"Oh, I know. He was actually useful."
- —Kate Kane and Luke Fox on the latter's father, Lucius Fox[src]
- Genius-level intellect/Great business acumen/Scientist: Lucius was an extremely intelligent individual; being a member of Mensa with an IQ of 163, as well as excelling in several fields of science and having turned Wayne Enterprises into one of the most technologically advanced company in the world forging it into a multinational corporate giant. He was also unparalleled in the world of business and finance.
- Master engineer: Lucius was a brilliant inventor and a renowned mechanical engineer, having designed his own enriched carbon nanotubes in the Batsuit, a design that has yet to be replicated by anyone else rendering the suit one-of-a-kind, as well as most of Wayne Enterprises' technology.
- Multilingualism: Lucius was capable of fluently speaking English, Aramaic, Mayan and Babylonian.
- Glasses: Lucius wore special glasses of his own design, equipped with HUD digitally-ingrained lens linked to an A.I. that could easily decipher the code he used to write his journal.
- His journal: An encoded book containing the secrets of all the weapons developed by Wayne Tech, including a way to activate a fail-safe in the Batsuit that would kill the wearer.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Lucius Fox served as the CEO of Wayne Enterprises, and also provided Bruce Wayne with the latest gadgets in his crusade against crime.
|Other versions of Lucius Fox|
|To see other versions of this character, click the Earth name below for that Earth's counterpart of Lucius Fox.|
|Earth: 1 • TUD14|