M'gann M'orzz, is a White Martian from the planet Mars. Unlike most of her kind, M'gann didn't share the same hatred towards Green Martians, but was unwillingly recruited into the White Martian cause to wipe out their counterparts. After being unable to bear the slaughter, and a failed attempt to free several Green Martian captives, M'gann fled to Earth and remained in hiding for centuries. Hiding as an alien refugee, she took on the guise of a Green Martian, nicknamed "Miss Martian", to conceal her true nature. While disguised in human form she works as a bartender as "Megan", desiring only to live a peaceful life among humans. Eventually, she encountered J'onn J'onzz/Martian Manhunter, the last of the Green Martians, and formed a steady friendship with him. M'gann and J'onn eventually fall in love with each other; however, she ultimately decided to return to Mars to look for other peaceful White Martians like her.
Life on Mars
M'gann M'orzz was born and raised on the planet Mars. She hails from an underground warmonger race of psychic shape-shifters known as White Martians. Despite the fact that her mother wasn't an affectionate type, she always cared deeply for her. When M'gann reached adulthood, she had a combined marriage with a White Martian named Armek, which she regarded as the worst of their kind.
When her people invaded the surface of their world and wiped out the peaceful race of the Green Martians in the so-called "Martian Holocaust", M'gann served as a prison guard in the Galle Crater's internment camp. However, unlike most of the other White Martians, M'gann had a sense of justice, honor and good morals. She could not stand the slaughter of all those innocents at the hand of her kind, so when her superiors ordered her to kill a Green Martian boy, she refused and instead she turned on the guards, killing many of them in a fire after which she tried to free as many Greens she could and escape with them. However, her attempt was thwarted by the other surviving guards that came after her and managed to kill everyone but M'gann who, after having confronted and disfigured her husband Armek, escaped from her planet and sought refuge on Earth, where she hid for centuries.
Alien bartender and fight clubEventually, M'gann found a work at an alien bar in National City, where she took the form of a human woman and the alias of "Megan" to blend in. When Alex Danvers visited the bar to ask an alien for information about Scorcher, M'gann told her where the alien might be. When J'onn J'onzz came to Al's Dive Bar the following night, she was startled by his appearance. M'gann left suddenly telling him her shift ended; J'onn confronted her outside the bar where she took the form of a Green Martian claiming to be the last daughter of Mars.
She and J'onn talked about how she escaped from Mars and she came to Earth to seek refuge, altering her story by telling him she was freed by a good willed female White Martian. Thereafter, J'onn proposed they establish a mental link to share consciousness, but M'gann refused.After a few days, Martian Manhunter finds out that M'gann, under the alias of "Miss Martian", is taking part in the battles in the alien fight club run by Roulette because of the need to expiate her guilt. When J'onn confront her about it, she claimed it was her own business. J'onn replied that they should preserve what they have lost, but M'gann says that she wants to forget about everything. The next day, J'onn came to Al's Dive Bar to apologize M'gann, but they are kidnapped by Roulette's guards and forced to fight to the death for the title of "last Green Martian". Despite M'gann's attacks, J'onn refuses to defend himself and told her that she should not become a murderer just because she feels guilty for having survived all their people. After hearing this, M'gann stops the fight and tells Roulette she will not kill him, so the ringmaster released Draaga to terminate them both but they are joined in the fight by Supergirl, who managed to defeat the enemy.
Later, J'onn comes to M'gann's home again and said that it was right they leave the past behind. He also adds that if she does not want to establish a connection, he will not insist and that he'll always be there if she needs help. After J'onn left, however, M'gann looks at herself in the mirror mortified and assumes her real White Martian form.
Over the next days, M'gann and J'onn bonds and begin to know each other better. When Alex came into the bar asking M'gann for help as J'onn need a blood transfusion following his clash with Parasite. Although initially skeptical because her White Martian blood could poison him, M'gann agrees and saves his life. When J'onn wakes up, he sees M'gann sitting next to him, and thanks her for saving his life, asking her to stay with him until he falls asleep again.Knowing that White Martian's blood transfusion turns Green Martians into white ones, M'gann visited J'onn to assure his well-being and even brought him a special Martian recipe known as K'rkzar tonic.
Though after J'onn checked his blood test results, he deduced she's actually a White Martian and confronted her out of Al's Dive Bar. M'gann tried to explain she's not like the others of her kind but J'onn believed she was just a liar and attacked her, beating her up almost to death. However, when M'gann assumed her human appearance begging him not to be killed in her real form, J'onn hesitated and decided to incarcerate her instead at the D.E.O. National City headquarters.
M'gann was sitting in her cell when she started to suffer from a telekenetic attack from the White Martians that left her in a catatonic state. She was starting to slowly die and J'onn J'onzz was hesitant about helping her because of his old hatred for her kind. However, he decided to save her life through the Martian Bond. J'onn went into her mind where he found M'gann in a memory of her time at the Galle Crater's internment camp. She told him how she killed the other guards and that she pretended to be a Green in order to help J'onn feel less alone to try to atone for what she did. J'onn assured her that she didn't have to feel so guilty anymore, he managed to pull her out of her coma, but she told him that the White Martians will be coming for her now.
Soon after, a White Martian attacked M'gann and J'onn, but thanks to Supergirl, they were saved. Later, Armek arrived on Earth and threatened M'gann that he will start hurting her friends if she doesn't return. M'gann refused and J'onn took her to D.E.O. for protection. But when they realized the presence of two M'gann's inside D.E.O., it is revealed that Armek disguised himself as M'gann in order to get in. Armek caused enough of chaos to disguise himself as a D.E.O. agent, and M'gann demonstrated that fire can be used to expose a disguised White Martian. Armek had taken the appearance of Winn and surprised Supergirl and J'onn. As he set the reactor core to meltdown, J'onn took M'gann to search the building while Supergirl and Alex checked the basement. M'gann and J'onn discovered Winn and Alex, meaning that Armek brought another White Martian inside, who had disguised as Alex. Eventually the heroes managed to defeat Armek and his companion, with M'gann killing Armek herself. Afterwards M'gann decided to return to Mars, convinced that there were other White Martians who had the same intentions as hers. She kissed J'onn and leaves.
During the Daxamite invasion, M'gann suddenly arrived with fellow reformed White Martians to provide assistance to her friends. The invasion was stopped with a lead bomb, and afterwards M'gann had a moment with J'onn.
Later, M'gann contacts J'onn and asks him to return to Mars. The reason is that she found M'yrnn J'onzz (J'onn's father) arrested. So Kara and J'onn went to Mars and managed to free Myrnn and helped M'gann and the resistance to defeat the White Martians.
During the Anti-Monitor Crisis, M'gann as well as everyone in the multiverse except for the seven Paragons, was killed in an antimatter wave by the Anti-Monitor on December 10, 2019, only to be restored a month later, after the Paragons and the Spectre created a new universe.
Return to Earth
M'gann traveled from Mars to Earth at the request of Malefic J'onzz when a sun-eater escaped the Fortress of Solitude and threatened to devour the sun; J'onn J'onzz was very happy to see her and hugged her upon arrival. The two trailed the animal as it approached the sun but were unable to stop it; Supergirl soon arrived, wearing a Lexosuit, and the three made it shrink to a carriable size.
M'gann and the others searched old haunts for the organization but found nothing; on Earth-Prime, Leviathan was but a myth and its past locations are abandoned. While Nia Nal was dreaming on how to find the villains, J'onn returned to the Tower from his search; the two Martians talked about how things have evolved in each other's absence. Nia's snoring interrupted the moment the two were sharing, but when she awakened, she had the location of Portland.
Having alerted Supergirl, the four went to the city to fight Rama Khan but the Martians had to stop the earthquake he had started. She and J'onn remained after they stabilized the tectonic plates to help the citizens. When they finished, they met the others at D.E.O. National City headquarters where another battle with the immortal was happening; M'gann acted as a distraction while J'onn freed the heroes from the fallen debris. J'onn yelled her name as she was injured. All evacuated as the building was destroyed.
Later, she listened as J'onn confessed his feelings.
They then accompanied Alex Danvers and Nia Nal as they stormed into Kara Danvers' apartment; Kara had said she had an emergency. They overreacted as Kara was only saying that she had Lena Luthor there and that she was briefing them on Lex Luthor's involvement with Leviathan. Since Rama Khan now had Kryptonite and the ability to track Supergirl, she was a target, so M'gann proposed the idea to distract the immortal as Kara went with Lena to be fitted for a new protective suit by disguising herself and J'onn as the woman. M'gann went with Alex who was now sporting her new suit.
While Rama Khan fought elsewhere, M'gann and Alex fought Sela, but she retreated when M'gann showed that she was not Supergirl. Later, M'gann and Nia talked about Nia's relationship with Querl Dox; M'gann, using her relationship with J'onn as an example, told Nia to stop looking at the surface and search for the motives behind Brainy's actions. She watched as the immortals were able to reconstitute themselves after Supergirl destroyed them, so she knew the odds of successfully defeating the Jarhanpurians were nearly impossible, but she waged battle against them anyway, when J'onn challenged Rama Khan telepathically. After the immortals suddenly disappeared, Nia told her dream to M'gann that she saw Brainy dying, crying and alone after he had saved them.
Unlike most White Martians, M'gann is kind, caring, selfless, moral and honorable, she feels guilt and remorse for killing two White Martian prison guards, despite the fact that they were threaten the life of an innocent Green Martian child. M'gann is also intelligent, patient and calculating, as she managed to keep her identity as a White Martian a secret for 300 years while she was living on the planet Earth.
M'gann has no hatred towards the Green Martians, evidenced by the fact that when she cross paths with J'onn J'onzz, the last of his race, despite having the chance to kill him, she didn't and when she pretended to be a Green Martian to J'onn, it was not in a sadistic way, but to make him feel less alone; as M'gann is disgusted by the actions her people committed against J'onn and his people.
M'gann seems to despise her true appearance, describing her kind as "monsters"; when J'onn was about to kill her, she begged him to let her die in her human form rather than in her real one.
Powers and abilities
- White Martian physiology: Like all White Martians, M'gann possesses several incredible powers, such as superhuman strength, near-impenetrable skin, telekinesis, telepathy, shape-shifting, intangibility, and even the power to defy gravity.
- Extended longevity: M'gann's life span is considerably longer than a normal human and likewise ages much slower. As proved by being on Earth for centuries.
- Super strength: M'gann is stronger than humans, as well as some aliens, though not as strong as a fully-powered Kryptonian. However she can augment her strength by focusing her telekinesis and using it in a tactile way.
- Super Speed: M'gann is capable of moving at speeds that are similar to that of Kryptonians. She can move at speeds that make her invisible to humans.
- Shapeshifting: M'gann is able to change her form at will, even on a cellular level, completely altering her physical appearance, allowing her to transform or mimic other people, animals or other creatures.
- Malleability: M'gann can stretch and bend her body (E.g. into large whips to grab things at greats distances).
- Accelerated healing factor: Due to her shape-shifting powers, M'gann is able to heal faster than a human would.
- Blood: If M'gann's blood is injected into a Green Martian's blood system, it will turn them into a White Martian.
- Density-shifting/Intangibility: M'gann is able to move through solid objects or to increase her density to become near-invulnerable.
- Invulnerability: M'gann's body is far denser than a human's, but not quite as durable as that of a Kryptonian. As a white Martian M'gann is immune to human diseases and illness.
- Camouflage: The ability to blend within the environment by changing the appearance of their form to bend the light waves around them to match with their surroundings, making themselves almost - but not completely invisible.
- Telepathy: M'gann is able to read the minds of other people (except for Kryptonians), communicate with others mentally and projects her thoughts in to others, as well as hear others people's conversation psychically.
- Brain blast: M'gann can project a powerful "Mental blast" than can hit the target mentally or leave them unconscious.
- Psychic illusion: M'gann can project realistic illusions in other people's minds and make them experience things that not actually happen.
- Mind control: M'gann can control the thoughts and actions of others (except for Kryptonians), implant words in other's mind, as well as to erase or restore and alter the memory of others, reprogram other people's minds and put others to sleep or temporarily paralyze others.
- Mental detection: M'gann can feel and detect the mind of others, as well as their intentions, emotions and mental states.
- Psychic translation: As a White Martian, M'gann can psychically translate other languages.
- Mental shield: M'gann can telepathically shield herself and others from mental intrusions with enough effort, such as preventing other telepaths from scanning her mind.
- Telekinesis: M'gann can move and manipulate multiple objects with her mind.
- Flight: By telekinetically moving herself, M'gann can simulate flight.
- Shock-waves: M'gann is able to project waves of telekinetic force to hit, propel, crush or cut a target.
- Telekinetic-shields: M'gann is able to generate a shield of telekinetic force for different purposes (such as to block or deflect incoming attacks, or to contain a target).
- Expert hand-to-hand combatant: M'gann is an expert in unarmed combat, enough to be undefeated in Roulette's fight club and stand head-to-head with J'onn J'onzz.
- Multilingual: As a native Martian, M'gann speaks that language fluently, in addition to English.
- Fire: Like all Martians, extreme heat or fire can weaken M'gann and cause her pain. Also, while shape-shifting, any part of her body that comes close enough to touch fire partially transforms back into its true form, which could be used to expose her.
- Maaldorian atmosphere: The air of Maaldoria contains a special sulfide which makes it toxic for M'gann.
Behind the scenes
- The show's version of the character is significantly different in physical appearance from her DC comic book counterpart. In the DC comics, in her human civilian identity of Megan Morse, M'gann has the appearance of a Caucasian, red-haired teenager rather than that of an African-American adult woman. Her Miss Martian form is also different in the comics, as instead of resembling J'onn in appearance, she modifies her looks to be a green-skinned but otherwise normal human with red hair.
- In the comics, M'gann pretends to be the niece of Martian Manhunter.
- In the DC comics multiverse, she has been a member of the Teen Titans alongside Wally West and Roy Harper.