- "A crisis is imminent. Someone is coming. Someone far, far more powerful than myself. I mean to prepare. I'm testing universes to find one I hope is strong enough to stand against him, in the hope of finding the champions that would save the multiverse entire."
- —The Monitor to Barry, Oliver, and Kara[src]
Mar Novu, better known as The Monitor, is a powerful cosmic entity who had tested several worlds for an oncoming crisis; however, they all failed until he challenged Earth-1, who managed to pass the test and Mar Novu therefore chose said universe as the one that will fight in the crisis. He would proceed to recruit Oliver Queen to assist him in his preparations to prevent the destruction of the multiverse and prepared other heroes, such as Barry Allen, of their role in the coming crisis.
Visiting the first Ra's al Ghul
Sometime in the year 1013, Novu paid a visit to Al-Fatih of Earth-1, and heavily implied to keep the balance or else the world would be in jeopardy. He also bestowed upon him knowledge not previously known to man. The man would do what he could to keep the balance by becoming the first Ra's al Ghul and founded an organization with the sole purpose of keeping the balance by eliminating threats.
Gateway to his realm
Centuries ago, after meeting with Al-Fatih, Novu installed a special gateway to his realm on Earth-1 lined with seven unique symbols at the end of the sewer system in Central City. He hid the entrance by fusing the rocky walls with Eternium to prevent anyone from discovering it. The only way to access the doorway to his realm is to use ultraviolet rays to penetrate the Eternium wall, then press the seven symbols in a certain order.
Recruiting Lyla Michaels
When Lyla Michaels was filled with survivor's guilt after her team was killed in Afghanistan, she prayed to any god or other godlike being that would listen. Mar Novu answered her prayers and saved her.
Years later, he contacted her, telling her he was the one, who saved her that day, because she served a greater purpose. Lyla, at first, didn't believe Novu's claims of the apocalypse, but after he came to her again, he showed her a future between her and her family with John Diggle being wiped away from existence if she didn't assist him. Seeing that Novu was telling the truth, she agreed to help him find the heroes required to stop this threat. Novu made Lyla swear to secrecy so they wouldn't interfere with the journey of the other heroes and never gave her the specifics of his grand plan, only that when the time came, she would know what to do.
Testing different Earths
At some point in the past, Mar Novu, adopting the moniker "The Monitor", bestowed the Book of Destiny to individuals of different Earths across the multiverse to test them for an impending crisis, which Novu admitted to be beyond his abilities, by letting the chosen individuals create their own Elseworld by using the Book. Novu, as well as a coming crisis, came under the attention of the Crescent Order.
Traveling to Earth-90, Novu encountered numerous heroes, who opposed him. Engaging in an immense battle with them all, despite being outnumbered, Novu was able to single-handedly murder all of them, with the Flash barely surviving. As he crawled towards the Book of Destiny on the ground, Novu grabbed the book first and proclaimed their failure. As the Flash asked about his motivations behind his actions, Novu explained that they did this to themselves. He then opened the Book of Destiny, proclaiming they would all perish while the Flash ran away from the scene, proceeding to massacre the inhabitants of the world and presumably destroying Earth-90 itself.
After testing Earth-90, Novu traveled to Earth-1 and appeared before Arkham Asylum Doctor John Deegan in Gotham City. When he asked for his assistance, Deegan refused, referring to him as a "douchebag". To prove his seriousness, Novu destroyed Deegan's car. Having Deegan's attention, he gave him the Book of Destiny, telling him to do as he pleased with reality and watched as Deegan became amazed by the book.
Seeing that the Meta-human Cisco Ramon was observing this event later through a vibe, Novu turned to him and expressed interest, as he didn't believe Earth-1 had this capability. He then explained that things had already been set into motion that they couldn't prevent. He then observed Deegan change reality to where Oliver Queen is the Flash and Barry Allen is the Green Arrow.
Later, after the heroes had retrieved the Book of Destiny from Deegan, Novu appeared at a street in Central City, where he was promptly surrounded by police, and waited for the heroes to confront him. Novu was soon confronted by the Flash of Earth-90, The Flash of Earth-1, Green Arrow, and Supergirl of Earth-38. They demanded he help them use the Book of Destiny to set reality right, but Novu declared he had no intention of helping them. The Flash of Earth-90 proclaimed he would not let the massacre of Earth-90 repeat on Earth-1. After expressing admiration for The Flash's persistence, Novu made him disappear before he could take a step.
With the other heroes realizing they were outmatched, Earth-1 Flash asked Novu what he was testing Earth-1 for. Novu explained that he was testing universes to find the right heroes to stand against a being far more powerful than himself who threatens the multiverse. He compliments them for being the first to acquire the Book of Destiny, before retrieving the book from A.R.G.U.S. with a wave of his hand. Supergirl then tried attacking him, but he simply breached her back to where she started before she could even touch him. Stating they show potential, Novu then departed and returned to Deegan, returning the Book of Destiny to him and telling him to think bigger.
Balancing the universe
After Deegan had altered reality once more where he was Superman, Novu summoned Oliver and Barry to his realm to discuss their destinies. Novu expressed interest in how they were able to outwit the Superman powered Deegan with no powers or abilities. When Oliver demanded to get back to his test, Novu described his personality and was pleased with his willingness to die and save countless others. He then explained the only way to survive this trial was to know their true self, not by self-sacrifice, before sending them away.
Later, Oliver, after becoming Green Arrow once again, angrily demanded he come and face him and heeding the vigilante's desire to confront him, amused by his passionate bravery and willingness to challenge his god-like power, Novu teleported him to his realm. Knowing that Oliver wanted him to stop the test for killing Barry and Kara Danvers, Novu agreed, openly impressed by his bravery, that Earth-1 was the only universe to have ever challenged him like this and when Oliver insisted that he wasn't the one Novu needed as his true self was filled with darkness while Barry and Kara were true heroes and had the best chance at stopping the crisis, Novu relented and gave him a metaphysical arrow capable of overloading and destroying the Book of Destiny. But in order to maintain balance of the universe, Novu made Oliver promise he would join him to stop the crisis when the time comes.
Preparing for Crisis
After the Timeline changed when Team Flash destroyed Cicada's dagger, the crisis was moved up to December 10, 2019 instead of April 25, 2024. This forced Novu to alter his plans to adjust and gather the forces that will help him defend the multiverse much more hastily.
As the plinth in the Time Vault reflected this change, Novu destroyed it to prevent Team Flash from reading the changed newspaper so they would not know about the crisis until he himself decided to tell them, knowing they would want to change the timeline to prevent the crisis, which Novu knew was inevitable and would only be worsened by any of their attempts. In the process, he destroyed Nora West-Allen's message to her parents, which he was not proud of but believed was a necessary sacrifice, along with Gideon, although he left enough of her for Barry to later rebuild her.
Arrival on Earth-38
After seeing J'onn J'onzz fight in Elseworlds he saw that he was a great warrior plagued by his past. To insure that J'onn was physically and mentally prepared for crisis, Novu traveled to Earth-38 to free his brother Malefic J'onzz from the Phantom Zone so he could confront his past and come out stronger. Once he freed Malefic, he urged him to avenge himself against his brother who betrayed him. When Malefic asked if Novu would assist him, he told him he had to walk his path by himself, as he had one last place to visit.
Hours after Lena Luthor killed her brother Lex Luthor and left his body in his hideout, he traveled to his location and proceeded to generate interdimensional energy from his hand and aim it at Luthor's body to bring him back to life as his intellect was needed to prevent the coming crisis. He brought him to his realm where he provided Lex with intergalactic chess to play with until the time was right.
Visiting the Legends
Novu later visited the Legends to see what kind of team they were. He was holding the Book of Destiny inside Heyworld watching the Legends perform with magical creatures to show the people that they weren't a threat. He shook his head in disappointment with the rest of the audience when their performance was terrible. However, when a Dragon showed up, he is seen eating popcorn in amusement, using the book as a stool as the rest of the audience cheered. He then watched on sidelines as the Legends, magical creatures, and the audience sang to bring Nate Heywood back to life after Neron killed him.
Recruiting Oliver Queen
In 2019, after the birth of Oliver's daughter Mia Smoak, Novu returned to visit Oliver to collect his end of the deal and have him assist in preparing for the much faster than initially anticipated crisis due to the changes in the timeline. As Oliver had promised that he would give whatever the multiverse requires, he had no choice but to keep his word. After Oliver eased Felicity Smoak's worry, he asked Novu what he needed to do.
Novu revealed that Oliver must help him avert the crisis and before that he will first assist him in halting the inevitable through several missions, but admitted regretfully that in exchange for countless deaths being prevented, Oliver would sacrifice himself and that future is inevitable and cannot be escaped. As Felicity vehemently opposed him, Novu calmly appeased her that in exchange for Oliver coming with him that night, she and her daughter would survive. Novu then gave them time to say goodbye before he took Oliver with him to start their attempt to prevent the crisis.
As Oliver's first mission, he sent him to Earth-2 to gather Dwarf star particles, which could only be found prominently on that Earth. He dropped him off on Lian Yu to fool the people of Starling City that he was their Earth's Oliver Queen. Before he departed he talked about one of the many misconceptions that humanity held dear was the fallacy that beings are created equal and that in truth there are those who are greater. He called those individuals heroes, but even among them, there are different echelons. He described the highest as paragons; the only hope for all of creation.
Informing Barry of his fate
In around August to September 2019, Novu visited Barry and Iris West-Allen in the Time Vault, his presence briefly turning off the lights. As Barry cautiously asked what he was doing here, Novu simply stated he was here to ensure the universe survived and Iris, realizing he destroyed the plinth and with it Nora's message, tried to attack him, only for Barry to stop her. Novu acknowledged that it was an unfortunate side effect but argued he had to discourage them from hoping they could avoid the coming crisis.
When Iris argued they still had five years, Novu revealed it had since changed from 2024 to December 10, 2019 and on that day he would answer the call to help him stop the crisis and make the ultimate sacrifice as well as that Earth-1 would soon become the battleground for the fate of the multiverse. When Barry demanded to know what he can do to both survive along with his family and stop the crisis, Novu firmly stated that there was no way for Barry to survive and the only way for the crisis to be stopped was for him to die before leaving.
After Novu gave Barry and Iris this devastating news, while Barry was left solemnly resigned to his fate, Iris, refusing to believe that considering how the article stated that Barry went to fight Eobard Thawne not a cosmic disaster and even if it had changed, still believed that the timeline could be changed and inspired Barry to get evidence of the Monitor's claims but Barry's attempts to time-travel did not work as an antimatter wall ejected him out of the Speed Force. Undeterred, Barry went to Earth-3 to ask for Jay Garrick's assistance. With his help Barry saw billions of timelines with all of them showing the multiverse being destroyed and the only one where they won was The Flash sacrificing himself, proving Novu was right about Barry's sacrifice crucial to averting the crisis, which deprived the Flash of any will he had left to fight his fate and ultimately caused Iris to give up as well. Barry and Iris then informed the rest of Team Flash of the coming crisis, who also at first believed Novu was lying, but came to believe what he said was true. Cisco even tried to prevent Barry's fate before finally accepting that it had to happen.
Harrison Nash Wells came to Earth-1 in search of the Monitor and Eternium and using a tracking device, saw Novu walking through a rocky wall inside the sewers of Central City. He later claimed that through the rock was a portal to Novu's realm and that the Monitor is a false god and a fraud who spreads fear through the multiverse, although considering Lyla noted the Monitor truly was trying to save the worlds, either Nash is lying or believes the Monitor's words to be lies. However, one confirmed truth of Nash was that Novu had protected the walls securely by fusing it with Eternium, which rendered Barry's intangibility useless and prevented any brute-force impact attempts less all of Earth-1 be destroyed. Either way, Nash is able to persuade Team Flash to help him fight against the Monitor and he then succeeds in overcoming the Eternium defenses Novu had erected.
When Oliver deterred from his mission on Earth-2, Novu confronted him. He found him in Queen-Merlyn Enterprises, about to confront Malcolm Merlyn of being the Dark Archer. After musing on humanity's capacity for invention, Novu reminded Oliver that his mission was to retrieve the dwarf star particles, not to interfere on Earth-2's events, and ordered him to focus on his mission. Scolding Oliver when he mused on how Novu was the one who sent him there in the first place, as the dwarf star particles can only be found on Earth-2 out of a multitude, Novu was unconvinced when Oliver explained that the Dark Archer had taken the particles and Oliver was simply attempting to retrieve them but let him continue after he made it clear that although he would not reveal why he needs those particles, they were nevertheless crucial to averting the crisis and to end the conversation, questioned Oliver on his loyalty to the mission, which Oliver affirmed he was dedicated to.
After Earth-2's destruction, caused by Oliver's interference, Novu, displeased with how Oliver's disobedience had destroyed an entire world, brought Oliver, Diggle, and Laurel Lance to Hong Kong. When Oliver woke up, Novu revealed what happened to Earth-2, which he made clear would happen to all Earths if they failed. He ensured Oliver that Diggle and Laurel are nearby and when Oliver in dismay asked how he failed to save Earth-2 as he had given Novu the Dwarf Star particles, Novu coldly rebuked him for interfering with the events of Earth-2 by stopping Tommy Merlyn, which he revealed led to the Earth's destruction. Oliver further interfered by saving Laurel. Making it clear that Oliver must obey his orders to avert the crisis, Novu instructed Oliver to find Dr. Robert Wong as his next task but refused to tell him why. As Diggle arrived, looking for Oliver, Novu teleported away with the particles before he could be discovered with a final warning to Oliver not to fail him again.
Novu later met with Lyla, who was angry at him for not warning her about Earth-2's destruction, or that John was on Earth-2 when it was destroyed. Novu solemnly remarked that Earth-2's destruction was a necessary sacrifice and dismissed Lyla's sympathy towards Laurel, noting that countless more like the ones Laurel cared for would die if Oliver was not prepared for what is to come. Novu then asked her if she had Wong. She replied that she did, and Novu responded by saying that they could proceed.
Sometime after meeting with Lyla in Hong Kong, Novu altered the current timeline by bringing Mia, William Clayton, and Connor Hawke from 2040 after they lost Zoe Ramirez to John Diggle, Jr. in their attempt to defeat him and his Deathstroke gang. He brought them to the present day Arrowcave where they met the present dat Oliver, Diggle, Dinah Drake, and Rene Ramirez. This was intended as a gift for Oliver to spend time with his children and make peace with them before his ineffable death during Crisis.
Seeing as Laurel's fate was altered, Novu wanted to see if she would be tempted to betray Oliver to save her world. As Laurel was walking out of the Star City Police Department, he appeared before her. Brushing off Laurel's cold insult on his uniform and instant realization of his identity, he offered to restore Earth-2 for Laurel if she agreed to his terms. When asked what she had to do, Novu replied that she would need to betray Oliver. He later had Lyla instruct Laurel to retrieve the antimatter weapon that Oliver was planning to build to oppose him and having knew that Laurel could very well not betray Oliver and sell out Lyla, which was his plan in the first place, had Lyla knock them out.
He then placed Oliver and Laurel in a time loop where they would see Quentin Lance over and over again until they learned why they were there; Oliver was there so he could see how he can't change his fate of dying in the coming crisis and to give Laurel the gift of saying goodbye to Quentin for remaining loyal to Oliver. He had Lyla in the loop to guide them if they didn't understand why they were there. After Laurel said goodbye to Quentin and Oliver accepted his fate, he released them from the time loop and sent them to Lian Yu with the rest of Team Arrow for the final mission: to build the weapon Doctor Wong has been constructing the schematics of by using the energy spikes of the island.
Passing J'onn J'onzz
After J'onn finally made peace with his brother and sent him to Mars with his ship to help M'gann M'orzz stop the war between the Green Martians and White Martians, Novu appeared before him to congratulate him on passing the test he gave him. J'onn deduced what he meant and figured out he was the one who freed his brother from the Phantom Zone.
Novu told J'onn that he saw him fight with his allies during Elseworlds and knew he was a great warrior, but was plagued by his past, which made him vulnerable. He knew that it was because of his dramatic past with his brother, not because he fled Mars, and needed him to figure it out. But now that J'onn had faced those demons, he realized his vulnerabilities are his strength and now is ready. When J'onn asked what he was ready for, Novu simply told him, the crisis.
Bringing Lex into the fold
Once Novu finished talking with J'onn, he returned to his realm with the Book of Destiny where he saw Lex win yet another chess game against himself. Lex was pleased he finally returned and commented that his home was a bit "stale". Ignoring Lex's insult of his realm, Novu told him that he brought him back because the universe will need a mind like his to stop the crisis. When Lex questioned on what he meant, not answering directly, Novu simply used Lex's ego to manipulate him by telling him he can fulfill his destiny and finally become the hero he always thought he was. Though Lex already believed he was one, he agreed to help, but first he asked that they discuss how to handle his sister, to which Novu simply smirked victoriously.
Messaging Nash Wells
On December 9th, Nash Wells stood outside Novu's door and taunted him, saying how he didn't believe in false gods. Novu argued with Wells to no end, when suddenly Wells was attacked by one of Ramsey Rosso's blood brothers. After a while, Ramsey and his army were stopped thanks to Allegra Garcia, but Wells believed it was Novu who saved him. At 11:58 pm, just as Nash Wells was about to open the portal to his realm, Novu noted on how he wished to know the truth and offered to reveal to him what he wanted to know in exchange for his help stopping the Crisis. Novu told him to stop his attempts to kill him and begin a new life. When Nash asked Novu to show him, he said that he already has "the knowledge" (probably to solve a code). After Wells solved the code in the cave, Novu opened the rock and pulled Nash inside it in a flash of light before slamming down the rock wall again.
Sending Harbinger to summon Oliver
After Oliver finally completed his final mission on Lian Yu, Novu summoned Lyla and made her his Harbinger to message the ones he would summon to fight in the crisis. Not long after, the crisis finally began and Novu sent Lyla to summon Oliver.
Taking Felicity to Oliver
At some point between the crisis in 2019 and 2040, Novu promised Felicity that he would reunite her and Oliver once she prepared William Clayton and Mia to take care of themselves. In 2040, after she said goodbye to her children, Felicity called upon him, saying she was ready, and he indeed appeared and returned for Felicity to take her to Oliver. He warned her that the place he was taking her, possibly Heaven, was where there was "no return" and upon seeing Felicity having accepted it, Novu reunited them.
- "Fascinating. I wouldn't have thought the men of this Earth had this capacity. But it won't avail you. None of you can stop what's been set into motion. You're best off giving up now, because nothing you can do can alter what's about to happen."
- —Novu to Cisco Ramon[src]
Novu is a calm, level headed, and focused cosmic entity shown how he continued to find the Earth that could save Multiverse from the coming crisis. He is quite capable of being ruthlessly demanding and strict, as he left a trail of destruction while testing other Earths, like Earth-90 and showed no regret or remorse for it and instead blamed the heroes for failing to save their Earths. He is also extremely confident in his power, as he didn't see the heroes of Earth-1 despite their abilities as true threats to him. This is best shown when Oliver Queen, Barry Allen, Kara Danvers, and Barry Allen from Earth-90 confronted him but he remained calm and made Barry Allen from Earth-90 disappear while stopping all of their attempts to attack him took back the book and gave it back to John Deegan. When dealing with his allies, Novu can be outright strict, harsh and firm both in the execution of his plans and the secrets he keeps, going to lengths to keep Team Flash from trying anything to change Barry's fate to die in the crisis, even destroying Nora's message and the plinth that showed the newspaper along with it, despite how it deprived Barry and Iris of what was left of their connection to Nora, before proceeding to coldly and firmly drive it home through Barry that no matter how hard he try, he will die sacrificing himself to stop the crisis, and despite his sympathy for Oliver's sacrifice, he would still strictly demand Oliver's dedication to any mission he assigned him to without revealing anything to him, both when he had him search for the dwarf-star particles and collect Robert Wong. In addition, when Oliver meddled with the fate of Earth-2, Novu coldly scolded him for not heading his orders and ordered him never to disobey him again. He also dismissed Lyla's sympathy for Laurel despite moments before showing some somberness at Earth-2's destruction with yet another cold reminder that countless more like the ones Laurel cared for would perish if the crisis is not averted.
However, Novu's actions, while ruthless, are not for malevolent purposes and instead to prepare for the crisis to find the heroes capable of saving the Multiverse from the crisis, which Novu openly acknowledges to being far more powerful than himself, showing he could still feel fear. His confidence do not make him truly arrogant, being fully capable of respecting others, as he openly acknowledged to be impressed by the capabilities of the heroes of Earth-1, and remaining calm even in the face of insults, as he was utterly unfazed when Oliver coldly told him he wasn't a god, merely saying that as there isn't a name to what he is, a god would do and then when Laurel insulted him, along with also being quite flexible when the situation has truly garnered his respect and impress, as after seeing how persistent Earth-1 was against his test and how brave and self-sacrificing Oliver was, Novu ultimately decided that Earth-1 would be the earth to fight for the fate of all universes and gave Oliver the metaphysical arrow needed to save his friends from the test after Oliver revealed Barry and Kara are the best chances to stop the crisis and not him, although he asked that Oliver provide whatever the Multiverse requires to survive the Crisis in order to maintain the balance of the universe by creating another change in place of Barry and Kara being saved. In addition, Novu isn't entirely without empathy, as he did have cause to show genuine sympathy towards Oliver and Felicity Smoak as he revealed that in exchange for the Crisis being averted, Oliver would die and leave his wife widowed and daughter fatherless, assuring them he meant no harm for Felicity and their child and Oliver's sacrifice would allow them to live, and sincerely apologizing to Oliver for his inevitable death, nor is he so tactless as to callously shrug off things he did that emotionally hurt people or discriminate them for holding on to their flaws, even able to apologize and compliment on said flaw, as he noted that destroying Nora's message was not something he was fond of doing and was unfortunate but necessary as well as Barry's fate being set to die saving the Multiverse and openly acknowledged its boundlessness to be his greatest quality despite deeming it to be a flaw on the Crisis. In addition, he was also generous and decent enough to reward Oliver's acceptance of his fate by allowing him to meet his children and would later reward Laurel for remaining loyal to Oliver by allowing her to say goodbye to Quentin Lance. He also proves himself to be honorable, as he would keep the end of his deal to Felicity to reunite her with Oliver despite having no actual reasons to do so and before doing this, he warned her that she can never return.
Powers and abilities
- "You're not a god."
- "Yet there isn't a name for what I am so I suppose god will have to do."
- —Oliver Queen and Novu[src]
- Cosmic entity physiology: Novu comes from an extremely powerful species whose capacity for power could not be understood by humans. The species' physically distinguishable features include black ridges along the head, mutton chops, and a deep voice. He also wields tremendous superhuman fortitude and might, as he was able to single-handedly kill almost all of Earth-90's residents seemingly without any injuries and effortlessly survive the destruction of the universe. Novu is also one of the most powerful beings in the entire multiverse. However, despite this, Novu admits that his powers does have it's limits and states that someone in the upcoming crisis is far more powerful than himself.
- Cosmic knowledge: As a cosmic entity, Novu possesses an immense knowledge of the universe more than any other beings.
- Dimensional awareness: Novu also has a form of dimensional awareness, as he was able to perceive Cisco Ramon vibing him, and communicate with him through the transdimensional energy of the multiverse. His dimensional awareness allows him to watch over other universes to remain knowledgeable of current events, as he was able to detect Lyla Michaels's prayer to any god and could sense Oliver Queen was after the Dark Archer and immediately detect the destruction of Earth-2 and Oliver, Laurel and John's escape to bring them to Hong Kong as well as sense that Oliver passed over Wong to A.R.G.U.S., allowing him to still retrieve Wong anyway. He also knew from the beginning that Oliver and his team intended to destroy him, but allowed them to proceed as their plan was all part of his larger plan to stop the destruction of all existence.
- Electrical distortion: Novu's presence interfered with street lights when he confronted Dr. John Deegan. He also temporarily disabled the lights in the Time Vault when he went to speak to Barry Allen and Iris West-Allen about the former's destined death during crisis.
- Interdimensional travel: By a simple wave of his fist, Novu is able to breach himself, other people, and/or items to any place he wishes. He can also teleport others into his realm in an instant and establish lasting portals to his realm, as he did in the sewers of Central City. In 2040 he took Felicity Smoak to a place that there is no return from to be with Oliver.
- Molecular Manipulation: Novu was able to manipulate matter, as he was able to fuse the rocky walls to his portal with Eternium to prevent anyone from entering.
- Telekinesis: Novu was able to exert enough pressure on John Deegan's car to instantly smash its windows and crush the hood without moving a muscle. He was also able to effortlessly pull Harrison Nash Wells inside the portal to his realm without even being physically present.
- Geokinesis: Novu was able to cause earthquakes outside the portal of his realm while arguing with Nash.
- Telepathy: When inside his realm, he was able to communicate with Nash when he was standing in the rocky wall that held the portal to his realm.
- Precognition: Novu has the power to see the future, as he was able to see that Oliver and Barry would sacrifice themselves inevitably to stop the crisis.
- Extended longevity: Novu has lived at least prior to the year 1013 and has not aged.
- Disruption barrier: Novu can place barriers throughout time to stop time travellers going to certain points.
- Chronokinesis: Novu has the ability to manipulate time. He can make a mortal run in a continuous loop in time until he sees fit to bring them out of it, or the mortal figures out what they need to do in order to break the cycle. He also can displace himself and others in different time periods that is not their own.
- Resurrection: Novu was able to resurrect Lex Luthor so that he may help stop the crisis.
- Intimidation: Novu commands an intimidating presence that both scared and impressed John Deegan. This was demonstrated when he used his telekinesis to damage John's car, which resulted in him doing anything Novu asked of him.
- Stealth: When Novu gave Deegan the Book of Destiny, John didn't see or hear him until he spoke to him. He was also able to appear before Laurel Lance the moment she set her eyes forward. Using his breaches, he could appear before his targets as if he came out of thin air.
- Genius-Level Intellect/Master Strategist/Master of Deception and Manipulation: With eons worth of immortal live experience, Novu is an extraordinarily intelligent individual, with extraordinary perception, strategical, manipulation and deception abilities and emotional wisdom that allows him to effortlessly see through even the strongest-willed optimists and cunning strategists and manipulate them into doing his bidding near-flawlessly, instantly calculating his analysis of said people to create perfect psychological tactics to make them submit. He easily deduced that Team Flash would want to alter the timeline to prevent the crisis and simply destroyed the plinth containing the newspaper foretelling the future along with Nora's message before appearing before them and successfully manipulating Barry into accepting his fate, which was so effective that only the claims of Harrison Nash Wells and powers of Bloodwork proved able to make Barry fight against the fate the Monitor stated will inevitably happen. He also effortlessly deduced that Oliver Queen, despite his obedience, was in fact still wishing to defy his fate and wanted to oppose him and was able to ultimately inspire him into accepting his fate and their alliance while keeping his true intentions completely covert and outsmarting and manipulating him and the others around him subtly, effortlessly seeing through Oliver's claims of his intention to confront Malcolm Merlyn with the suspicion that he was the Dark Archer was purely to retrieve the Dwarf star particles and proceeding to use his seeing the destruction of Earth-2 first-hand to further drive home the fact that he must stop the crisis and then created a successful plan to exploit both Laurel's feelings of loss over her Earth and her loyalty to Oliver, easily manipulating her into not betraying Oliver without her even realizing it and even successfully depriving any will Oliver had left to reject his fate. This marks him as one of the very few to have ever outsmarted Oliver and among the only three, the others being Slade Wilson and Adrian Chase, to cause him to lose his will, which he did to an even greater extent than those two. Novu even effortlessly manipulated the tremendously intelligent Lex Luthor by appealing to his ego and promising that he could become the hero he always wanted to be.
- "The universe is a complex piece of machinery and balance must be maintained. One change requires another. How would you propose I keep the balance?"
- —Monitor to Oliver Queen on what must be done to maintain balance within the multiverse.[src]
- Universal equilibrium: Novu must maintain balance between universes. If he alters something without the Book of Destiny, he must take something to compensate for the alteration to reality. To prevent Barry and Kara's deaths in the impending crisis, Oliver offered his life to Novu in exchange.
- Book of Destiny: The book is able to manipulate reality, and is used by Novu to test the inhabitants of each Earth to see if they're worthy for the coming crisis. He would bestow the book to one individual of each Earth to allow them to create their own Elseworlds for the heroes to fight and see if they can succeeded. He would also use the book for unimportant things, such as using it as a stool to eat popcorn off of.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
- Novu appears to enjoy popcorn.
Behind the scenes
- In the main DC Comics continuity, the original Monitor was a prominent figure in the years leading up to the Crisis on Infinite Earths storyline, as he gave weapons to villains in order to test the heroes as he did on the show. When the time came he gathered heroes and villains alike to combat the threat of the Anti-Monitor, the Monitor's antimatter counterpart, set on destroying the multiverse in Crisis. Decades later during the Rebirth era it was revealed his name was Mar Novu, after the Arrowverse's version.
- Dax Novu, whose name is referenced by Mar Novu's, was a villain also known as Mandrakk the Dark Monitor and the first of the subdivided Monitors born out of the original solitary Monitor after his death.
- Nix Uotan, the last survivor of said Monitors, dubbed the Superjudge of the multiverse, bears a close physical resemblance to Mar Novu.
- Novu is the second main character of who debuted in , after Nora West-Allen, and the fifth to debut on another Arrowverse show.
- Novu served as one of the two main antagonists of the crossover, alongside Dr. John Deegan.