- "Since Superman refused the honor of marrying me... I will pledge allegiance to your Non."
- —Maxima to Lucy Lane[src]
Born into the royal family on the planet Almerac, Maxima journeyed to Earth to pursue Superman, deeming him the only man worthy of becoming her husband. When Superman rejected her, Maxima went on a rampage, forcing him to take her down. She was later locked up in the D.E.O. headquarters.
Under the influence of the Myriad program, Lucy Lane released all prisoners at the D.E.O. except for the White Martian on Non's orders. Maxima initially attacked Lucy until the latter convinced her to side with Non as his new partner, effectively making Maxima the ruler of Earth. Maxima, Lucy, and the D.E.O. agents prepared to leave, but were intercepted by Supergirl with her freeze breath. Maxima and Supergirl engaged in a fierce battle, with Supergirl eventually triumphing and knocking Maxima out. She then destroyed the computer terminal, preventing the prisoners from escaping and thus locking Maxima inside the D.E.O. facility.
Powers and abilities
- Almeracian physiology: Due to her Almeracian physiology; Maxima has superhuman physical attributes.
- Expert hand-to-hand combatant: Maxima is a highly trained hand-to-hand combatant. Combined with her superhuman physical attributes, she was able to physically restrain and nearly overpower Supergirl.
Behind the scenes
- Maxima is an alien conqueror and queen on the planet, Almerac. She first appeared in Action Comics #645 (September, 1989) and was created by Roger Stern and George Perez. She has been frequently portrayed as a love interest of Superman. In the modern DC universe, though, Maxima has an unrequited crush on Supergirl, as seen in Supergirl (Volume 6) #40.