Metropolis is a major city in the United States. It's noted to be one of the largest and wealthiest cities in the world, owing largely to being the adopted hometown of Metropolis' favorite son, Superman. Although its exact location is unknown, Metropolis seem to be facing northward onto the East Coast.
- 1 Overview
- 2 History
- 3 Known individuals
- 4 Appearances
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Behind the scenes
- 7 References
- Luthor Corp: Owned and headed by Lex Luthor, Luthor Corp is one of the most powerful multi-billion-dollar corporations on the planet. Its main office, or one of the main offices, is located in Metropolis. Its known subsidiaries are the D.E.O. (until its destruction) and Luthor Foundation.
- Man of Tomorrow Prize: A prestigious humanitarian prize awarded every year to the world's greatest humanitarian with a massive ceremony usually held in Metropolis.
- Metropolis University: A prestigious university in Metropolis. It is where Sophie Moore's cousin studied medicine.
- Daily Planet: One of the main and most prominent daily newspapers in Metropolis. Recently, purchased by Morgan Edge, the newspaper began laying off employees in a move to become more digital.
- A.R.G.U.S.: The United States government's research group and special ops division charged with taking down major terrorist threats has a headquarters in Metropolis.
During the Anti-Monitor Crisis, after the Spectre died battling the Anti-Monitor and creating a new multiverse, this city, which contained most elements of Metropolis of Earth-38, was formed on Earth-Prime.
At some point in the past, Superman emerged as a vigilante in Metropolis. The superhero was often featured on the Daily Planet's stories. Photojournalist James Olsen took the 1st photo of Superman in the city.
At some point, Naxim Tork came to the city in a failed attempt to capture Kal-El for his interstellar zoo.
In 2015, the Man of Tomorrow Prize was awarded to Lex Luthor. Around this time, the billionaire industrialist also started to have a conflict with Superman, resulting in several encounters and battles which caused much collateral damage and civilian deaths. However, Lex's deeds remained hidden from the public.
At some point, Thaddeus Killgrave was imprisoned in Metropolis. He noticed that Superman wasn't around Metropolis as much due to his transfer to another prison. He escaped from the convoy transferring him and returned to Metropolis to attack Superman. There, he was defeated by him and apprehended by the army.
- Samantha Arias
- Ruby Arias
- John Diggle
- John Diggle, Jr.
- Sara Diggle
- Lillian Luthor
- Lyla Michaels
- Sophie Moore's cousin
- Thaddeus Killgrave (moved)
- Lex Luthor (moved)
- Lena Luthor (relocated to National City)
- James Olsen (relocated to National City)
- Clark Kent (relocated to Smallville)
- Jonathan Kent (relocated to Smallville)
- Jordan Kent (relocated to Smallville)
- Lois Lane (relocated to Smallville)
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
Superman & Lois
- Metropolis is known as the "City of Tomorrow".
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Metropolis is the home of the hero known as Superman. Metropolis is located in the Northeastern United States, in close proximity to Gotham City, with the majority of DC comics references placing Metropolis specifically in Delaware.
- In real life, Metropolis, Illinois, has been proclaimed the "hometown of Superman" by the Illinois State Legislature, and the town celebrates its "local hero" with a large Superman statue in the city, a Superman museum, an annual Superman festival, and its local newspaper, The Metropolis Planet, being named after The Daily Planet. A version of the town has appeared in Adventures of Superman #515, as a city whose citizens idolize the hero who lives in their 'sister' city.
- According to Cisco Ramon's map of Earth-Prime, Metropolis seems to be a northeastern U.S. city located on the East Coast, in the state of Delaware.
- Metropolis is somewhere south of both Happy Harbor (RI) and New York City (NY).
- The Sun-Eater incident in "" takes place 90 days after Crisis on Infinite Earths, which ended on January 14th, 2020, thus on April 13th. One day after this is April 14th.
- Superman co-creator has humble Canadian roots - CTV News
- Truth, Justice, and The American Way: A Visit to Metropolis, Illinois
|Other versions of Metropolis (Earth-Prime)|
|To see other versions of this location, click the Earth name below for that Earth's counterpart of Metropolis.|
|Earth: 1 • 38 • 75 • 96 • 167 • 203 • F • N52|