- For the eponymous location, see Midvale (Earth-38).
- "After Kenny, that's when I realized that you and I could get through anything together."
"That was the first time I really became Kara Danvers."
"It's a good thing, too. Got us through the next 10 years."
- "Think I remember... thinking I would never feel at home on Earth. I still don't, in a way. But I feel at home with you."
- —Alex and Kara Danvers reflect on their past
"Midvale" is the sixth episode of the third season of , and the forty-eighth episode overall. It aired on November 13, 2017.
|Kara and Alex head home to Midvale for a little R&R. While there, Kara recalls a painful memory of a childhood friend’s death and how that traumatic experience brought the Danvers sisters closer together.|
- Melissa Benoist as Kara Danvers
- Mehcad Brooks (credit only)
- Chyler Leigh as Dr. Alex Danvers
- Jeremy Jordan (credit only)
- Katie McGrath (credit only)
- Odette Annable (credit only)
- Chris Wood (credit only)
- David Harewood as J’onn J’onzz
Special guest star
- Erica Durance as Agent Noel Neill
- Izabela Vidovic as young Kara Zor-El
- Olivia Nikkanen as young Alex Danvers
- David Chisum as Sheriff Ronald Collins
- Ivan Mok as Kenny Li
- Eliana Jones as Josie
- Carolyn Anderson as Gym Teacher
- Mik Byskov as Samuel Bernard
- Ryleigh Gillespie as Cheerleader
- Dawson Alexander Holmes as Deadhead
- Winnie Hung as Mrs. Li
- Gavin Langelo as Jake
- Zenia Marshall as Student One
- Joshua Morettin as Preppy Kid
- Austin Obiajunwa as Student Two
- C. Douglas Quan as Mr. Li
- Sandy Sidhu as Deputy Clemens
- Farryn VanHumbeck as Vicki
Kara and Alex drive home to the Danvers house in Midvale with J'onn's car. Their mother Eliza greets them both, but Alex is not enthusiastic. That evening, Eliza talks with Kara about how she hasn't really recovered from losing Mon-El. Kara claims different, but can't deny Eliza is right. Kara states she's coming to accept that she's not a human as Eliza tries to warn Kara against bottling her emotions. In the girls' old bedroom, Alex is drinking when Kara brings her coffee. She tries to help Alex by getting her to talk about losing Maggie, but Alex retorts that Kara didn't open up for months after Mon-El left and asks if she's really better. Angered, Kara tells Alex that she's not going to help her anymore and Alex thanks her for that, equally upset. Both sisters go to sleep.
10 years ago
The episode flashes back to when Kara and Alex weren't close in high school. Both sisters resented each other, despite Eliza's best efforts. Kara makes fun how Alex has to work hard in math and science while she learned calculus on Krypton at the age of four. In a similar manner, Kara struggles with Earth's history while Alex is good at it. Kara isn't fond of going to an Earth school, feeling it's not for her. During history class, their teacher Mr. Bernard asks Kara who was the leader of the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War, which she answers wrong and Alex corrects her. But in gym class, with her powers, Kara easily beats Alex in rope climbing.
During lunch, Kara is made fun of by some students over her gushing of Superman until Alex shuts them down, though refuses Kara's gratitude. Alex sits with her friends, who are part of the popular clique and also dismiss Kara. Kara sits alone until she sees Kenny Li, who is her only real friend since they share similar interests and are both considered outcasts. Kenny briefly approaches and greets Alex, but she doesn't talk to him, since her clique disregards him, and says that he is only Kara's friend. School bully and star football player Jake Howell knocks down Kenny's tray onto the floor and starts shoving him. Kara gets angry and crushes the table, but controls herself before more damage is done. Alex and one of her friends, Vicki, intervene and tell Jake to lay off. Kenny quietly picks up his lunch and sits down with Kara. Kara complains about Alex always picking on her, but Kenny assures her that things will get better. Kenny also reveals he knows dirt on Jake, and invites Kara to join him at the local clearing in the evening.
That night, Kara arrives at the woods, where Kenny stargazes with a telescope that can digitally capture and save pictures into his laptop. When wondering about distant stars, they nearly kiss until Kara pulls away. She tells Kenny he is the only person who males her feel like she really belongs.
When Kara sneaks back into her room, Alex confronts her and asks where she was. Kara refuses to answer, and Alex claims she has had enough of getting into trouble because of Kara's antics. Kara lashes out at Alex over always blaming her for every bad thing that has happened to her. Alex then pours out how much her life was upended ever since Kara was adopted, primarily the loss of her father Jeremiah, while Kara defends that none of those things are her fault.
The next morning when Kara and Alex get off the school bus, Kara hears police sirens and with her super-hearing, learns the body of a male teenager has been found in the woods. Scared that it's Kenny, she rushes there using her powers. Kara's fear is proven to be true when she sees Kenny's corpse being examined by the police.
As the news of Kenny's death becomes public, Kara mourns at his locker, where a memorial is put up. As she hears other students talking about his death, Kara can't understand why Kenny is remembered now like this, as no one really knew him. Alex approaches with her best friend Josie, trying to comfort her, but Kara claims Alex is just as bad as the rest. As Jake and his friends make fun of Kenny's death, Kara, certain he is the killer because Kenny had dirt on him, follows Jake to the locker room and starts accusing him. Jake isn't concerned, but with a little use of her super-strength, Kara twists his arm, and Jake confesses Kenny saw him smoking pot. Jake also reveals he was at home last night, and his mother can prove it. Kara leaves Jake alone and is determined to find out who killed Kenny.
After school, Kara goes to Kenny's parents' house, where the sheriff, Ronald Collins, is questioning them. She offers her condolences to Kenny's parents. Mrs. Li reveals Kenny's telescope is missing and Kara swears she will find it. Sheriff Collins pulls Kara aside and tells her to leave this alone.
That evening, Kara goes to the same clearing she and Kenny went to the previous night. She is startled by Alex, nearly burning the latter with her heat vision by accident. Kara wonders why Alex is here and vice versa. Alex reveals that she was failing calculus and Kenny offered to tutor her, but she wanted to keep it a secret so they would meet here. During that time, Alex became friends with him. Kara admits she was stargazing here with Kenny last night, and came when she heard that his telescope is missing. This was the last place it could have been, but it's not there now. As the telescope could save pictures to Kenny's laptop, both sisters realize that he must have seen something with it that led to his murder. Alex encourages Kara to use her X-ray vision to locate Kenny's laptop and she finds it buried under the leaves. Kara suggests they take it to the sheriff, but Alex believes they need more information first. They take the laptop home and find encrypted files on it, which Kara sends to her cousin Clark's friend Chloe, who is a capable hacker. They then check Kenny's email and find a warning message addressed to Mr. Bernard, containing an attachment of a picture in which Josie is making out with him, much to their shock.
Concluding that Mr. Bernard murdered Kenny, Alex approaches Josie the next day at school and shows her the picture. Josie rips it up, but Alex has another. Josie is upset that her best friend would accuse Mr. Bernard of Kenny's death, claiming he is innocent. Josie insists she and Mr. Bernard are in love, to which Alex points out that their relationship is illegal since Mr. Bernard is sleeping with a minor, and thus committing statutory rape. As Josie angrily storms off, Alex calls the police. Meanwhile, Josie goes to Mr. Bernard and warns him that Alex knows about them.
The following evening, Kara and Alex are walking home together for the first time ever, while discussing Josie and Mr. Bernard. As they are walking across a road bridge, a speeding car approaches and attempts to run them over. Kara pulls Alex over the bridge and they both drop down. The car leaves, and Kara uses her flight to prevent them from hitting the ground. Sheriff Collins later arrives at the scene and the girls claim the driver was Mr. Bernard. Eliza then comes to take the girls home.
Arriving home, Eliza tells Alex to go to her room and orders Kara not to use her powers. Kara protests, but Eliza introduces her to a visiting FBI agent, Noel Neill, who looks exactly like Kara's biological mother, Alura Zor-El. Kara hugs her, but Noel clears the matter and explains the FBI are aware of her and her cousin. Noel warns Kara that every time she uses her powers, it puts Alex and Eliza in danger. Kara argues what good it is to have powers if she can't use them to help people, the only thing she ever wanted to do. Kara then tearfully admits she hates Earth, misses her birth family and planet, and wants to fight alongside her cousin. However, Noel points out that Kara is still a child and convinces her to be a human for her family's sake. Kara says, "I love you, Mom" in Kryptonese, which leaves Noel initially surprised, but she claims she can't understand it. As Noel leaves, it is revealed she was actually J'onn J'onzz in disguise.
Later, Josie comes to the house, angry at Alex because her actions resulted in Mr. Bernard's arrest. Josie's parents have also grounded her until college, and she tried to defend Mr. Bernard to no avail. Josie then reveals she was with Mr. Bernard all afternoon before he was arrested, wanting to talk with him about Kenny's death. After getting Josie to reconfirm Mr. Bernard's alibi, Alex realizes that there's no way he is the driver who tried to ram her and Kara. She goes to Kara, who is feeling sullen after being talked out of using her powers, and tells her what she learned from Josie, but Kara is no longer interested. Alex then decides to find Kenny's killer by herself.
Alex goes to the school stadium to talk with Sheriff Collins and tells him about the laptop. He wants to know where the laptop is, suggests they talk elsewhere, and takes Alex to a quiet room. At the same time, Kara gets an email from Chloe, who decrypted Kenny's files. She goes through them and sees pictures containing Sheriff Collins dealing with drugs, timestamped on the night Kenny died. Kara realizes that Collins must have somehow found out that Kenny had seen him in the act, so he killed him to cover his tracks, but not before Kenny managed to hide his laptop. Kara quickly calls Alex, who is talking with Collins, and tells her about the pictures and Collins. Alex realizes she is in danger but after she hangs up, Collins points his gun at her and takes away her phone. When Collins calls Kara to get information about the laptop, Alex shouts to Kara where she and Collins are. Collins cuts the call and takes Alex into the the boiler room.
Kara concludes that Alex needs her help and decides to again use her powers, flying out to help her sister. Meanwhile, Collins is impressed with Alex's fortitude, as she hasn't flinched even though she has a gun in her face. Collins then reveals how drugs come across the Canadian border and he can make a nice profit selling them himself instead of burning them. Alex calls Collins out over killing a kid just to keep his crimes secret. Collins is convinced that no one can hear her from down there, but Alex, not shaking at all, tells him there is someone listening to his every word right now, and that wherever he goes, someone hears him. Boasting that she is coming, Alex then shouts, "Here! I'm down here!", and Kara punches her way through wall, knocking Collins out. The sisters embrace as Alex happily exclaims she knew Kara would come.
Later at school over lunch, Alex tries to talk with Josie, but she rejects her. Realizing she has lost her friends, Alex sits with Kara instead. It was a good week for the sisters, as they exposed Jake's pot smoking, revealed Mr. Bernard as a child predator, and solved a murder. It has also made them outcasts in school, but Alex and Kara aren't concerned. Both wish Kenny was there now. Kara shows Alex a picture Kenny took that Chloe found, which captures her flying, meaning that he knew she is an alien but kept her secret. Kara reveals to Alex that she nearly kissed Kenny the night he died but panicked, admitting she would kiss him now in front of everyone if he were still here alive, as he truly liked Kara for who she is. Alex asks Kara if she wants hang out, as no one else wants to with her anymore. Alex suggests they go flying, but Kara refuses, having come to terms with keeping her powers hidden. Kara declares she'd rather be a human than lose Alex. Alex finally accepts Kara as her family, promising to work on being a better sister.
In the evening, the sisters are in their bedroom together laughing when Eliza comes in with Kenny's telescope. She tells them it was found inside Collins' car, and that Mrs. Li wanted Kara and Alex to keep it as a gift of thanks. The Danvers sisters became close from that day forward.
Back to the present
Alex wakes up mildly hungover and gets coffee. She finds Kara on the terrace looking through Kenny's telescope. Both sisters reminisce about Kenny and how he was Kara's first true loss on Earth, a good friend of Alex, and a "keeper of secrets". Alex admits that experience was the first time she and Kara really became sisters, making her see that together, they can do anything. Kara reflects that she never thought she could feel at home on Earth, and in a way she still doesn't, but feels at home with Alex. Even though Kara lost Mon-El and Alex lost Maggie, they still have each other.
When the sisters leave to return to National City, they bid Eliza goodbye. J'onn has asked them to come straight back to DEO, and also warns he's going to put them into containment if they scratch his car. Eliza packs her daughters food and sends them off with some final advice. Alex demands that she drive, pointing out that Kara nearly crashed the car twice on the way to Midvale. Kara argues that it was not her fault that an opossum she nearly hit came out of nowhere but at Alex's insistence, reluctantly hands over the keys. As Alex begins driving home to National City, the sisters begin singing to the radio, now in higher spirits.
- This is the first episode of the series not to feature Jeremy Jordan (Winn Schott).
- This episode features the smallest main cast of any episode of the series, at three (Kara, Alex Danvers, J'onn J'onzz).
- This is the first episode in which Kara appears only as a civilian and not as Supergirl.
- In the school cafeteria, a student mentions that Superman wears red underwear over his suit. This is a reference to his classic comics suit, as well as the TV series Smallville, in which Clark had red underwear on his outfit in the series finale when he became Superman, but removed it during the comic book series, which took place after the show ended.
- After Kenny is murdered, Jake exclaims, "Oh my god, they killed Kenny", referencing the popular recurring phrase from the TV series South Park.
- While in Alura's form, J'onn uses the pseudonym "Noel Neill". The name references the actress who portrayed Lois Lane in the 1948 serial Superman and 1950 serial Atom Man vs. Superman, in addition to Lois in the TV series Adventures of Superman.
- Kara mentioned Clark's friend Chloe, who is a skilled computer hacker and has a "Wall of Weird", referencing Chloe Sullivan from Smallville.
- The song that Kara and Alex sing along to as they're driving back to National City is "The Sweet Escape" by Gwen Stefani.
- Eliza is seen reading Nine Lives and Counting by Cat Grant while waiting for the girls to come to breakfast.
- In the flashback, Kara states that Kryptonian children start doing calculus by the age of four.
- This flashback storyline was created in part to allow Melissa Benoist and Chyler Leigh the time needed to film the four-part Arrowverse crossover, .
- Vancouver Technical Secondary School is used as Midvale High School. The same school was previously used as Smallville High School in Smallville.
- When Kara is talking to Eliza on the balcony, her hair keeps changing from behind her right ear when Eliza speaks to down over her ear when Kara speaks.
- When Kara first gets into bed after her argument with Alex, the handle of the coffee mug on her nightstand is pointed to the right towards her. When Kara goes to turn off the lights, the handle is now pointed to the left away from her.
- In a continuity error, the flashback notes it was 10 years prior to the episode. However, Kara was 15 at the time of the flashback and 25 in the first season episode "". This should note the flashback as 12 years ago.
- Young Kara asserts that she is "literally bulletproof" while in "", adult Kara was unsure if she is.
- Since Kara hadn't really used her powers for over a decade at that point, it's possible she was being extra cautious, given that she never came into contact with bullets before.
- In the cafeteria, Kara refers to Superman and Lex Luthor as "arch-nemesi". The plural form of "nemesis" is "nemeses", not "nemesi".
- However, it's likely Kara was still adjusting to Earth's English language.
- J'onn takes the form of Kara's biological mother. However, there was no way for him to know what Alura looked like, considering it had been previously stated that he can't read Kryptonian minds.
- Teenage Kara's ears are visibly pierced, even though her skin is supposed to be impenetrable.
- Kara wears earrings as an adult since the beginning of the series, so it's possible Eliza figured out a way to safely pierce her ears.
|"" • "" • "" • "" • "" • " " • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • ""|