- "It's incompatible with the human brain. That place warps the mind until the person is no longer recognizable."
- —Joseph Carver[src]
The Mirrorverse is a realm accessible by mirrors throughout Earth-Prime. It has different laws of physics that, with time, can be harmful for humans and other creatures from Earth-Prime.
The Mirrorverse appears as an exact replica of Earth-Prime, but as a mirrored inverse. In addition, there are no known living beings native to the dimension and the image of Earth-Prime prior to the S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator explosion remains intact as a mirrored duplicate. As a result, there weren't many changes in the Mirrorverse from that point on. Humans in the dimension have difficulty reading reflective surfaces such as computer monitors and develop neurological problems that are demonstrated through various tics and habits (i.e. frequent scratching of the arms).
The Mirrorverse was created when Harrison Wells' particle accelerator exploded in 2013. The waves of dark matter surged through Central City and one of them threw Eva McCulloch onto a mirror in her office. While Eva died due to the impact, a mirror duplicate of her with her memories was created in the Mirrorverse.
Over the next six years, Mirror Eva tried and failed to escape the dimension 1,322 times. Joseph Carver, Eva's husband and business partner, had scientists study the Mirrorverse and they learned what effects it had on the human mind but not a way for Mirror Eva to escape.
In 2019, as Cicada was about to kill XS, the Flash used the mirror gun to eliminate the lightning dagger to ensure his daughter wouldn't be murdered. The dagger, in fact, was transported to the Mirrorverse.
In early 2020, Iris West-Allen discovered the mirror in Eva's office while investigating her disappearance, only for an unknown entity to pull her into the Mirrorverse. From there, Iris could only watch through mirrors in her home as an imposter took her place on Earth-Prime, leading her to team up with Eva to find a way out. Iris thought of a solution when dealing with Sam Scudder/Mirror Master and suggested to freeze the mirror which trapped Eva in the Mirrorverse to absolute zero. Eva and Iris tried to freeze the mirror but it broke, failing Eva's 1,323rd attempt.
After these events, Eva finally broke because of her many escape attempts coming to nothing but a dead end. While arguing, Eva and Iris realized the former's meta-human powers, vitrikinesis, allowed her to control mirrors. With Iris' encouragement, Eva reconstructed the mirror from its broken pieces.
Iris soon found Kamilla Hwang working on the Lightning dagger in the Mirrorverse version of S.T.A.R. Labs. Iris slowly started becoming acclimated to the Mirrorverse, developing habits similar to Eva's. As she had glimpses of clarity, the computer showed a heat signature similar to David Singh, which Iris clearly saw. Afterwards, she vanished.
Meanwhile, Eva sought to destroy Black Hole and to kill Carver, so she pulled Millie Rawlins, Esperanza Garcia, and Kimiyo Hoshi into the mirrorverse and convinced them to help her with the latter, to which the assassins agreed, creating the second incarnation of Eva McCulloch's team. They exited and led an attack at McCulloch Technologies.
After Iris vanished, she was sent to the Mirrorverse version of her office. After she resisted the visions of past, present and future versions of her that were created by Eva to torture her, she sent Kamilla and David a message to meet in the Speed Lab. When Iris found Kamilla, she confirmed that she could not find David in the hospital. However, they found him in the Speed Lab.
The Flash managed to free Iris from Mirrorverse using an Atlantic portal, but he left Kamilla and Singh behind since the Artificial Speed Force's emotion nullifier led him to think that releasing Iris was a pragmatic best choice to know better about Eva. When Eva was publicly exposed as a mirror duplicate, she decided to replace all the inhabitants of the Earth-Prime with her mirrored versions. Her duplicates were attacking Central City citizens until she was convinced by Iris to give up. She then destroyed all the duplicates, returning the real people to the Earth. Then she went back to Mirrorverse.
Afterwards, a support group for people trapped in the Mirrorverse was created on Earth-Prime.
- Mirror duplicates
- Penelope Dearbon (escaped; destroyed)
- Richard Dearbon (escaped; destroyed)
- Cecile Horton (escaped; destroyed)
- Kamilla Hwang (escaped; destroyed)
- Daisy Korber (escaped; destroyed)
- Steven Lee (escaped; unknown)
- Eva McCulloch
- Sam Scudder (escaped; destroyed)
- David Singh (escaped; destroyed)
- Iris West-Allen (escaped; destroyed)
- Penelope Dearbon
- Richard Dearbon
- Esperanza Garcia
- Cecile Horton
- Kimiyo Hoshi
- Kamilla Hwang
- Daisy Korber
- Steven Lee
- Sam Scudder
- Millie Rawlins
- David Singh
- Iris West-Allen
- It's possible to leave the Mirrorverse and return to Earth-Prime unharmed, though only naturally if one hasn't been in there too long. Eva's body had adapted to the Mirrorverse over six years, resulting in her flesh burning if she tried to leave and forcing her to acquire some of Bloodwork's blood to create safe passage.
- It seems people do not need nutrition while stuck in the Mirrorverse, given that Eva would not have left McCulloch Technologies much in the six years she was trapped and there are no living beings natural to this world (i.e. animals). Thus, it stands to reason that any food in this dimension is finite, at least meat or anything processed, since Eva would know what plant life is edible.
- People being trapped in the Mirrorverse is similar to what Sam Scudder could do with his powers. Unlike in Scudder's case however, the Mirrorverse isn't escapable by freezing the mirror entrance.
- Whether the Mirrorverse was created by the particle accelerator explosion or Eva is unknown.
- The latter is possible because of Eva's control over mirrors, as well as the fact that she was researching the Mirrorverse's existence before the explosion.
- As revealed in "", the Mirrorverse "snaps" the minds of those trapped inside if they are stuck too long and keep forcing themselves to try reading the gibberish words; Iris was confronted by a hallucination of herself who called her weak.
- The Mirrorverse is one of the few dimensions accessible for anyone from Earth-Prime after the Anti-Monitor Crisis (due to the fact that, as far most denizens of Earth-Prime are aware, their universe is now the only one in existence). However, there is a barrier that burns organic matter which prevented Eva from escaping until she obtained some of Bloodwork's blood to protect herself, meaning other dimensions may be similarly sealed off. Other dimensions that remain accessible include Hell (reached by the living via a spell), the world between worlds (entered via a vision quest), and the temporal zone (accessed by time travel, typically via timeship).
- This may only apply to Eva or the Mirrorverse itself, as Iris was pulled into it spontaneously. It may be due to Eva's body being altered by the laws of physics by dark matter or within the dimension (it was confirmed the Mirrorverse had detrimental effects on the human mind).
- The Speed Force was thought to have been inadvertently destroyed as a consequence of Barry's actions during the Crisis. However, Team Flash was later able to restore it; also unintentionally unleashing the Sage, Strength and Still Forces.
Behind the scenes
- In the comics, the Mirror World is a dimension accessible by Sam Scudder and Evan McCulloch, the Mirror Masters.