The Loop (TV)
Do you like this video?
- "I need your help."
- "Hey kid. I'm glad you came back."
- —Oliver asks Slade Wilson for help to rescue his family and friends from Adrian Chase
|Black Siren returns to help Chase. Felicity organizes a birthday party for Oliver while Lance is furious after Rene misses the custody hearing for his daughter.|
Preparation ran from March 7 until March 15, 2017. Shooting ran from March 16 until March 27, 2017.
- This is the fifth penultimate episode to be named after a Bruce Springsteen song. The song originally appeared on the soundtrack to the 1995 film The Crossing Guard.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Byron Mann as Yao Fei in four years, as he last appeared in the Season 1 episode "".
- When Diggle and Felicity were in a car and saw Talia al Ghul, Felicity said that she has flashbacks from Isabel Rochev. When they tried to hit Talia with the car and it didn't work, Felicity mentioned that it worked better with Isabel. This is a reference to when Felicity hit Isabel with a van and saved Diggle in the Season 2 episode "".
- Felicity got Oliver's birthday cake from Lord Mesa Bakery, a nod to Lord Mesa, an artist who frequently created art of the Arrowverse. His artwork appears on the cake.
- This episode marks the return of Manu Bennett as Slade Wilson, as he last appeared in the Season 3 episode "". However, a clip of Bennett's performance was seen in "".
- Curtis says that he always wanted to see Florence, clarifying that meant the city and not "the woman or her weird machines", referencing the indie rock band Florence + the Machine.
- Kovar touches Oliver's various scars, causing him to flash back to each of the moments the wounds were inflicted.
- After a number of their friends have been kidnapped, Felicity likens their situation to a "horror version" of the 1993 film Groundhog Day.
- Kovar describing Oliver "like a piece of iron" is reminiscent of another Dolph Lundgren character, Ivan Drago, when he described Rocky in Rocky IV.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Malcolm Merlyn in the present storyline of Season 5. He previously appeared in flashbacks of "", a dream in "" and joined the Legion of Doom during Season 2 of after the events of "", which means that this is a year later for him.
- This episode is set after the Season 2 finale of , "", given that Malcolm was brought back to 2017 and returns in this episode.
- Nyssa al Ghul tells Oliver that in 2008, her father instructed her to visit Lian Yu, where she found Sara Lance. When Sara joined the League of Assassins in 1958 and left in 1960, as seen in the Season 1 episode "", she told Ra's al Ghul to make sure that Nyssa would go to Lian Yu to keep her timeline intact.
- When Oliver showed Malcolm and Nyssa his progress in tracking Chase's plane, a map of the West Coast of the United States appeared, placing Star City in the approximate location of the real-world San Francisco.
- This episode shares similarities to episode "", which aired the same week:
- Oliver asks an old foe, Slade Wilson, for help in defeating Adrian Chase/Prometheus, similar to how Barry asked Leonard Snart to help him defeat Savitar.
- Oliver and Barry both break into A.R.G.U.S. facilities with help from a past enemy, Malcolm and Snart, respectively.
- Both are the 22nd episode of their respective season.
- Malcolm mentions the last time he was down in the Arrowcave, he saved Oliver's life, referring to the events of Season 4's "" when he arrived to save Team Arrow from H.I.V.E.. Oilver also reprimands him of giving up William to Damien Darhk, referring to the events of "".
- Oliver and Thea refer to the last time Thea had a birthday party, which was 4 years ago in Season 1's "".
- Through Black Siren's interactions with Quentin, it is suggested her own father is deceased, which was confirmed in the Season 6 episode "".
- Right before escaping, Chase tells Oliver that he is going to "see [him] on the boat". This clearly foreshadows their ultimate encounter during the concluding scene of the season finale, "".
- Since most of this episode is set on Oliver's birthday, that means it takes place on May 16, 2017.
|"" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • " " • ""|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.