- "I am destiny incarnate, inexorable and inescapable. You are nothing. Insects fated to be crushed beneath my heel without a moment's thought. Fighting is useless. Surrender."
- —The Anti-Monitor to the Paragons[src]
Mobius, better known as the Anti-Monitor, is a being of supreme power and malevolence that embarked on a mission to eradicate the multiverse by whatever means necessary, opposed by his counterpart, Mar Novu, in which he was ultimately successful with the use of his invention, the antimatter cannon.
However, thanks to the combined efforts of the Paragons and Oliver Queen, a new multiverse was created in place of the destroyed one. In a last-ditch attempt by the Anti-Monitor to destroy the newly formed Earth-Prime's heroes, he engaged them in combat by expanding himself to giant stature, only to be finally defeated by a shrinking weapon locking him in a perpetually shrinking state courtesy of Harrison Nash Wells, Ryan Choi, and Ray Palmer, in which he can do not harm or interact with the multiverse in any way.
When Mar Novu traveled to the temporal zone, he was overwhelmed by chronal radiation as his presence caused an influx of antimatter, transporting him to the netherverse and creating Mobius, an antimatter doppelgänger, as well as giving him a means of escape from there.
Seeking to destroy the multiverse with waves of antimatter, the Anti-Monitor was sealed behind a door in a chamber where he built an anti-matter cannon to help execute his scheme. When Barry Allen of Earth-90 charged towards Novu and was repelled, he found himself within the reach of the Anti-Monitor, who whisked him into his prison and forced him to run on a treadmill to power the weapon. During a test run of the antimatter cannon, the entire universe of Earth-2 was eradicated by Mobius.
Messaging Nash Wells
On December 9, Harrison Nash Wells, mistaking the Anti-Monitor for Mar Novu, stood outside his door and taunted him, saying how he didn't believe in false gods. He argued with Nash to no end, when suddenly Nash was attacked by one of Ramsey Rosso's blood brothers. After a while, Ramsey and his army were stopped thanks to Allegra Garcia, but Nash believed it was "the Monitor" who saved him. At 11:58 pm, just as Nash was about to open the portal to what he believed would be the Monitor's realm, he noted on how he wished to know the truth and offered to reveal to him what he wanted to know in exchange for his service. He told him to stop his attempts to kill him and begin a new life. When Nash asked the Anti-Monitor to show himself, he said that he already has "the knowledge" (probably to solve a code). After Nash solved the code in the cave, the Anti-Monitor opened the rock and pulled him inside it in a flash of light before slamming down the rock wall again.
Due to Nash opening the door, the Anti-Monitor was released and the Anti-Monitor Crisis began. He began destroying numerous universes across the multiverse. Having activated the cannon, antimatter swept through countless earths and destroyed almost all of them.
At some point, he recruited and presumably gave powers to an individual, who would later be known as Outkast, to help destroy the Earths. Outkast eventually killed himself, but not before he destroyed Earth-D, Earth-76 and killed Kid Flash.
Due to more worlds being destroyed, the Anti-Monitor soon communicated with Harbinger through their shared connection to Novu and, despite her pleas to stop, forcibly summoned her to his lair. Once she arrived, he introduced himself. After revealing that worlds were falling under his power and every death allowed him to steal more power from his positive counterpart, he demanded Harbinger's cooperation and proclaimed that there was work to be done.
Mobius' successful endgame
The Anti-Monitor possessed Harbinger and after all except Earth-1 was destroyed and all the multiverse's refugees were brought to last remaining universe, he teleported to the Waverider and tried to fool the multiverse's heroes. However, they deduced the truth and came at Lyla. He overpowered the heroes and, with his immense power, he singlehandedly generated one last Antimatter wave to destroy Earth-1 and the multiverse's survivors as well as murder Mar Novu as the heroes helplessly watched.
As the wave was heading towards the ship, Pariah teleported the multiverse's last line of defense to a place where the Anti-Monitor could never find them, which angered him. Before they died, the remaining heroes with their last breath warned him that those that Pariah saved would “fight to their last breath". He scoffed at this and retreated by releasing his control from Harbinger before the Antimatter wave destroyed them, completing his victory, despite the fact that he failed to kill the Paragons.
The battle at the dawn of time
Once Jim Corrigan taught him how to use the Spectre's power, Oliver headed to the Vanishing Point to rescue the Paragons and strengthen Barry's powers. With his increased speed, Barry ran through the Speed Force, but was ambushed there by the Anti-Monitor, losing everyone else across the Speed Force.
Once Barry retrieved everyone, they arrived at the antimatter universe at the dawn of time, only to learn that the Anti-Monitor was waiting for them. He told the Paragons that some fates are inescapable: they may have stopped one version of Mar Novu from going through the experiment, but with another version of Mar Novu, he would always be created. He then unleashed an army of Shadow demons.
With Oliver's encouragement, the Paragons ran headlong into battle, fighting the shadow demons while Oliver and the Anti-Monitor watched from above. The Anti-Monitor told Oliver that it’s too late to stop him and that after 10,000 years, he will finally be victorious. Oliver replied that he won’t win and that he believed his entire life has prepared him for this fight. The Anti-Monitor proclaimed that all life ends, and only he is eternal, so Oliver took off his hood and told the Anti Monitor that “we’ll see about that.”
Oliver and the Anti-Monitor engaged in a fight for reality, and as they fought, Oliver told him that he had failed this universe and unleashed a surge of power to create a new multiverse, with the Paragons providing additional assistance via Lex's Book of Destiny page while seemingly vanquishing the Anti-Monitor. As a result, however, Oliver died a second and final time in Barry and Sara's arms.
Final fight and downfall
However, the Anti-Monitor survived the Spectre's power and Ryan and Ray realize that he cannot be killed because he’s made of antimatter, but they can destabilize his form, and have him shrinking for eternity. He sends the shadow demons to fight the heroes, in which they leap into fighting them and as they do, the Anti-Monitor reveals himself to the Paragons and announces his new plan to renew his destruction of the new multiverse and tells the heroes that they are nothing but insects fated to be crushed by his heel.
He goes to tell them that fighting is useless and asks them to surrender. The heroes dedicate their fight to Oliver and his sacrifice to restore the multiverse. They then go on to fight the Anti-Monitor, but they are no match for him and the Anti Monitor then makes himself grow to an unprecedented height while yelling out that the Age of Heroes ends now.
Martian Manhunter, Supergirl and Superman all launch attacks from the sky at the giant version of the Anti-Monitor in order to try to buy Ryan, Ray and Nash some time with building the bomb that will take care of the Anti-Monitor. Once it's finished, Barry takes Ray with him to help out in the final fight with the Anti-Monitor. Ray gives the bomb to Supergirl while telling her to throw it like a girl. Kara uses it on the Anti-Monitor and sends him to the microverse. The Anti-Monitor shrinks away, defeated and thus bringing his threat to an end once and for all.
Mobius has proven to be an incredibly evil being, as seen by him wanting to destroy the entire multiverse and kill off an infinite amount of innocent lives without any guilt or remorse. He seems to enjoy taking credit for destroying universes and consuming worlds. He is also extremely intelligent and manipulative, as he was able to convince the extremely intelligent Harrison Nash Wells into freeing him. Ultimately, his intellect prevailed as he succeeded in his mission.
Mobius can also be described as a megalomaniac with a god-complex since he wants to replace the multiverse with his own realm in order to be the absolute ruler. In simplier terms Mobius hates what he cannot control; he wished to wipe out the multiverse so no one would oppose him.
Powers and abilities
- Cosmic-empowered physiology: Being an antimatter copy of Mar Novu, Mobius possesses similar powers to those the former gained as a result of being exposed to chronal radiation. He is stated to be far more powerful than him, making him one of the most powerful beings in the entire multiverse, though Novu was somehow able to confine him into the chamber. Oliver Queen noted that the Paragons, consisting of the world's greatest heroes, may not be enough to defeat the Anti-Monitor, proven by how he easily overpowered the majority of them until they managed to use a shrinking bomb to defeat him.
- Superhuman strength: While possessing Harbinger, Mobius could easily overpower Superman of Earth-96 with one hand. During the final battle, he was able to match the combined might of the heroes that gathered to fight him.
- Telepathy: When inside his prison, Mobius was able to communicate with Harrison Nash Wells when he was standing in the rocky wall that held the portal to his prison. He also used it when he's trying to communicate with Harbinger; telling her that Lex is about to get the Book of Destiny, and he also tells her to go to him.
- Telekinesis: Mobius was able to effortlessly pull Harrison Nash Wells inside the portal to his realm without even being physically present.
- Possession: Mobius took possession of Harbinger and used her body to kill Mar Novu and absorb his essence into her body.
- Power bestowal: Mobius is able to grant powers to anyone he wishes, as shown when he turned Harrison Nash Wells into Pariah; thereby giving Nash the power to teleport and travel between dimensions. He also presumably gave similar powers to Nash's antimatter doppelgänger, turning him into Outkast.
- Energy projection: Through Harbinger, Mobius was able to induce a powerful blue energy blast to fight against Mar Novu's own golden energy blast, eventually overpowering him after a brief struggle. When fighting the Spectre, Mobius generated a powerful red orb that he blasted at Oliver, who managed to contain the blast.
- Gravitokinesis: Through Harbinger, Mobius was able to manipulate gravity around him. He was able to incapacitate the heroes while confronting them on the Waverider, except other cosmic beings like Pariah and Mar Novu.
- Levitation: When fighting the Spectre, Mobius was able to fly into the air and remain suspended to wait for Oliver to attack him.
- Essence absorption: Mobius was able to absorb the essence of his counterpart, Mar Novu, killing him in the process.
- Antimatter projection: As the ruler of the antimatter universe, Mobius is able to manipulate antimatter at will, which he used to create the antimatter cannon that unleashed waves of antimatter that destroyed all but Earth-1 and even when it was already destroyed, Mobius was able to induce another Antimatter wave that destroyed Earth-1, completing his victory. When facing the Spectre, Mobius was able to project a blast of antimatter energy to fight against Oliver's attempts to reach him before getting overcome, but Oliver was able to manipulate the antimatter of the attack, dispersing it, and use it along with matter to recreate the multiverse.
- Earthquake generation: Mobius was able to generate seismic activity while arguing with Harrison Nash Wells.
- Size manipulation: Mobius was able to increase the size of his body to a gigantic stature.
- Interdimensional travel: Mobius was able to travel from the antimatter universe to Earth-Prime.
- Extended longevity: Mobius has lived since the dawn of time.
- Force-field generation: Mobius was able to generate such a powerful force field around himself that none of the heroes' attacks were able to penetrate his shielding and was also able to unleash the force field to knock back the heroes.
- Genius-level intellect/Master tactician: Mobius is a highly intelligent individual, as well as an extraordinary tactician; due to him being able to convince Harrison Nash Wells to free him.
- Master of deception/Manipulation: Mobius is highly skilled in the arts of deception and manipulation; as he was able to deceive Nash into believing that Mar Novu was the one who was trying to start the Anti-Monitor Crisis, not prevent it from happening, Mobius also manipulate the latter into releasing him into Earth-1, so that he gained a foothold into the entire multiverse.
- Intimidation: Mobius has a very intimidating presence to other heroes. Harbinger was proven to be visibly terrified when directly confronted by Mobius in person.
- Oliver Queen: Mobius proved incapable of defeating Oliver; when he wielded the powers of the Spectre, as the latter was able to resist and overcome his attacks, and even managed to disperse his antimatter blast and use it along with matter and help from the Paragons to both destroy Mobius momentarily and recreate the entire multiverse.
- Paragons: Mar Novu predicts the seven Paragons are the only individuals who can take Mobius down.
- Vanishing Point: Mobius is incapable of reaching the Vanishing Point as it exists out of time and space.
- Mar Novu: As stated by Novu and Mobius, the two are polar opposites, just like their powers. Novu is dedicated to preserving life and the entire multiverse, while Mobius does the opposite. If Novu and the multiverse grow stronger, Mobius' power starts to weaken. During the Crisis, Mobius and the Netherverse grow stronger, allowing Mobius to start draining Novu's energies until he killed him completely. Novu was also able to somehow confine Mobius into a chamber that he was not able to escape from; until he was freed by Harrison Nash Wells despite Novu stating Mobius's powers surpassed his.
- Antimatter cannon: The ultimate weapon of mass destruction that produced the antimatter waves that the Anti-Monitor used in order to completely destroy the multiverse. It was later destroyed with the help of Team Flash, the Flash of Earth-90, Black Lightning, and Pariah.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
- "Zari, Not Zari (indirectly mentioned)
Crisis on Infinite Earths
Crisis on Infinite Earths
- The Anti-Monitor's endgame was foreshadowed by Zoom's final scheme, who also sought the destruction of the multiverse by using a machine powered by speedsters running on it.
- Though unlike Zoom, he didn't want to leave a single universe to survive, but rather rule the remaining Netherverse alone.
- Also unlike Zoom, he succeeded, albeit temporarily.
Behind the scenes
- In the comics, the Anti-Monitor is a major antagonist and the main villain in Crisis on Infinite Earths. As The Monitor's evil antimatter counterpart, he sought to destroy the multiverse and replace it with his Antimatter Universe. Decades later in the New 52 storyline Forever Evil, he returned with a new design which the show's version is similar to, and later still in the Rebirth comics, his real name was revealed to be Mobius.
- The Anti-Monitor is the most dangerous villain in the Arrowverse as he has the largest body count. Except for the Paragons, he has murdered an infinite amount of people by destroying the multiverse with antimatter.
- His physical appearance has been compared to other major pop culture villains, such as the Marvel villains Apocalypse and Thanos as well as the White Walkers and their leader in particular, the Night King, from Game of Thrones .
- The Anti-Monitor served as the main antagonist of the crossover, as well as Season 8 of .