Nergal is a powerful demon who was summoned by John Constantine in a botched attempt to resurrect Natalie Logue. While successful at first, the demon then dragged Natalie's daughter, Astra, to Hell. Natalie Logue killed herself because she thought her life was not worth damning her daughter to Hell. As a result, Nergal was also able to damn John's soul so it would be dragged into Hell upon his eventual death, which John tries to prevent by atoning for his sin.
Astra Logue was possessed by a demon, causing John Constantine to conjure up Nergal from Hell intending to compel him to drag the lesser demon back to Hell and save Astra. Instead, Nergal violently dragged Astra to Hell where she was subsequently damned for eternal suffering. This led to John suffering immense guilt and often having nightmares of the event. Ritchie Simpson, who was present for the event, also frequently endured nightmares and blamed John for Nergal's actions.
Powers and abilities
- Demonic physiology: As Nergal is most likely a high-ranking demon, he has authority over powerful demons, like when he sent Furcifer to kill Liv Aberdine.
- Telekinesis: When John Constantine had a dream of Nergal, he dragged Astra Logue to hell by waving his hand at her.
- Immortality: As a demon, Nergal is most probably immortal.
- Interdimensional Travel: Nergal has the ability to travel between universes, such as when he opened the gates of hell to drag Astra Logue there.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Nergal was also a demon responsible for Astra Logue's death and condemnation to Hell.
- Nergal is also the name of a most respected Mesopotamian deity that represents a certain phase of sunlight. Ironically, the demon Nergal is a villain instead of a heroic god. In the comics, it's said that he was once similar to his mythological namesake but became corrupt over time.