Nth metal is a material Thanagarians use in their technology. The material can have mutagenic, radioactive, and energy-generating properties. The gemstones, also called sun crystals, on the Staff of Horus and the Amon Dagger that was used to kill Khufu and Chay-Ara were made of this element. It is said that radiation from the meteorite is what caused Khufu and Chay-Ara's reincarnations and abilities. Nth metal meteorites are also what caused Vandal Savage's immortality. Savage succeeded in using concentrated doses of the Nth metal meteorite compound to turn people into monstrous, bird-like humanoids reminiscent of the physical manifestation of Hawkgirl's and Hawkman's abilities, while Savage is the only one who received immortality from it. It is believed the bird-like traits of the Manhawks and both Kendra and Carter are traits exhibited by the Thanagarians. Nth metal also could be manipulated by the blood of beings given bird-like traits by it, such as Kendra and Carter.
When two or more pieces of the mineral are in proximity of each other, they glow and can even be used to counteract each other. Its properties allowed the Staff of Horus to project blue energy capable of incinerating a target and causing explosions. It also was able to temporarily neutralize someone given immortality by Nth meteorite, such as Vandal Savage. Savage would use it to control the Nth meteorites that landed on Earth throughout time and detonate them, causing a massive paradox that would allow him to undo much of time and remake the world as he saw fit. Cisco Ramon designed a pair of gauntlets infused with the material, allowing a wearer to touch the staff and use the staff's energy. The Amon Dagger also developed the ability to fire the same blue energy as the staff, as well as permanently kill Vandal Savage if an incarnation of Chay-Ara were to stab him with it. Chay-Ara's bracelet was later melted down over Carter's mace and gained the ability to kill Savage, causing a blast of blue energy to emit from the mace whenever it struck and harmed Savage, causing a hit from it to send him flying through the air and give him great pain.
On the day Chay-Ara and Khufu were assassinated by Hath-Set, Thanagar and Earth were aligned, causing meteors laced with Nth Metal to rain down on Earth. The three Egyptians were mutated by this substance, with the two lovers gaining reincarnation and bird-like powers and Hath-Set gaining immortality. The Nth metal also enhanced the Staff of Horus, Amon Dagger, and Chay-Ara's bracelet, giving them energetic properties.
In late 2015, Vandal found the Staff of Horus and attempted to destroy Central City. Unfortunately, the combined forces of Green Arrow and The Flash countered his immortality by utilizing a special pair of Nth metal gauntlets to wield the staff and incinerate him, although Vandal was revived due to his death not being at Chay-Ara's reincarnation's hands.
Vandal in 2166, after being captured by Rip Hunter, escaped with Kendra Saunders and Scythian Torvil to take their blood, which he planned to use to destroy the timeline by finding every Nth metal meteor throughout time, allowing him to remake the world in his own image. However, the Legends managed to kill Savage and destroy the meteors.
In 2016 on Earth-38, Nth metal was found in large quantities on Earth after the Fort Rozz was thrown into space. The substance became so widespread that L-Corp financed its production to surpass steel and aluminum products, resulting in Nth metal being used even for basic requirements such as blackboard linings. As a result, an economic crisis ensued for industrial workers and steel manufacturers, including the Lockwood family, whose business went bankrupt as the banks refused to give loans to the steel factories, relying on the more durable Nth metal.
Abra Kadabra had somehow acquired Valorium, an Nth metal alloy, to use as the outer shell of his antimatter bomb. When Team Flash realized this, the Flash concluded that he could not use his phasing ability to stop the potential explosion.
- Advanced durability: Nth metal is said to be the strongest metal in existence, firm enough to even resist Daxamites and Kryptonians' super strength under a yellow sun.
- Mutation: Nth compounds from Thanagaar meteor injected toward human's blood it transmutes people into hawk-like beasts with claws and enhanced strength.
- Timeline erasure: Meteor combined with Hawkman's and Hawkgirl's blood can erase entire timelines utterly like how Vandal Savage has tried to be immortal since Ancient Egypt.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comic books, the Nth metal is native to Thanagar, the home planet of Katar Hol/Hawkman and Shayera Thal/Hawkwoman. The Egyptian priest Hath-Set used a cursed dagger forged from the metal to kill Khufu and Chay-ara, forcing them into a cycle of reincarnation. In the 20th century, the couple's reincarnations Carter Hall and Shiera Sanders wear Nth metal belts as Hawkman and Hawkgirl that allow them to fly, among other effects.
- In the DC comics, Deathstroke's armor is made out of "Nth metal" and has even had battles with Hawkman over it.