- "Lex and Lena Luthor, teaming up to save Superman's best pal. What would Mother think?"
- —Lex Luthor to Lena Luthor
"O Brother, Where Art Thou?" is the fifteenth episode of the fourth season of , and the eightieth episode overall. It aired on March 17, 2019.
|Secretly furloughed from prison due to failing health, Lex Luthor visits his sister, Lena, to seek her help finding a cure. Savvy as ever, Lena is suspicious of Lex's motives but when she's faced with a life and death situation, she must decide how she truly feels about her brother. Meanwhile, Supergirl and J'onn face off against Manchester Black. James' sister Kelly comes to town.|
- Melissa Benoist as Kara Danvers/Supergirl
- Mehcad Brooks as James Olsen
- Chyler Leigh as Dr./Director Alex Danvers
- Katie McGrath as Lena Luthor
- Jesse Rath as Querl Dox/Brainiac 5
- Sam Witwer (credit only)
- Nicole Maines as Nia Nal
- April Parker Jones (credit only)
- David Harewood as J'onn J'onzz/Martian Manhunter
Special guest star
- David Ajala as Manchester Black
- Robert Baker as Otis Graves
- Azie Tesfai as Dr. Kelly Olsen
- Andrea Brooks as Eve Teschmacher
- William MacDonald as Dr. Kaplan
- Byron Brisco as Guard #2
- Christina Lewall as Trauma Doctor
- Lincoln McGowan as Guard
- Amos Stern as Guard #3
We open four years back in Metropolis where Lex has bound Lena to a seat, turmoil unfurling all through the city in view of his calamitous arrangement to execute Superman. Demanding that he, not Superman is the Man of Tomorrow, Lex is at last captured. In the present, a helicopter conveys a slight Lex to Lena at her home. In the mean time at CatCo, James lies seeping out on the floor of his office, yet his shooter utilizes the misery signal on James' watch to caution Supergirl. The shooter is passed when she shows up to help a close demise James.
Lex has been discharged from jail and into her consideration since he's withering from kryptonite introduction harming related malignant growth His solitary possibility at endurance is Lena's Harun-El tests. Eve comes in to educate Lena regarding James. At the medical clinic, we discover that James was hit in the spine. J'onn appears and accuses Manchester Black for the assault for James and becomes significantly progressively resolved to stop him. With James' circumstance still critical, Alex talks with Lena and attempts to persuade her to utilize the Harun-El to spare him. Lena is hesitant, however out of nowhere has a thought.
J'onn chooses to follow Manchester and Kara chooses to go with him, misleading Alex that she's going to deal with things at CatCo. The pair discover Manchester where M'yrnn passed on and Manchester has some way or another gotten tightly to the Staff of Kalar, as well.
Lena, urgent to support James, informs Lex regarding the circumstance and requests his assistance because of his aptitude about kryptonite. Her objective? Separate the superpowers part of things that she's been working from the corrective perspective. While Lena attempts to settle things, those holding up at the clinic battle with James' circumstance. Nia accuses herself, Brainy accuses himself, everybody cries. James has been placed in a restoratively prompted trance state, and when Alex endeavors to settle on choices for his consideration, she's rejected as no one but family can do that. Exactly on schedule, James' sister Kelly shows up, giving Alex get to.
James' condition deteriorates. He has inner draining and needs medical procedure which Kelly supports. Secretly, Alex informs her concerning Lena's fix, however Kelly needs to do the medical procedure as she's stressed James would kick the bucket yet in addition doesn't confide in Lena since she's a Luthor. With the clock ticking on James' life, Lex and Lena test the Harun-El on a malignancy ridden heart. It works. At the point when Lena hears that James is experiencing medical procedure, however, she's furious about it, yet Lex advises her to go to him.
At the emergency clinic, Kelly and Alex bond, Kara and J'onn appear, as do Lena and Eve. Brainy and Eve battle with their feelings about the James circumstance and wind up kissing similarly as the lights glimmer. The lights are glinting at Lena's home, as well. At that point, J'onn understands that Manchester is at the dam and meddling with the force. At the point when the force goes out while James is in medical procedure and the generators don't kick in, Supergirl and J'onn follow Manchester.
Urgent to spare James, Kelly consents to Lena's fix. Lena goes into the working room, arranges the specialists and medical caretakers to depart. She infuses James with the fix and he quickly starts to mend and awakens. At the dam, J'onn and Manchester battle with J'onn at last murdering Manchester with the staff. He gathers Brainy's taken Legion ring from the beginning.
With James spared, Lena sees something about a light. J'onn battles with what he's done and reveals to Kara he isn't a man of harmony. Back at home Lena assembles that James requiring the serum was all piece of Lex's arrangement - which he concedes, including that he had James shot in any case. Lena will not give Lex the fix yet she's past the point of no return. Lex as of now took it; the gatekeeper is uncovered to be an extremely alive Otis Graves and Eve strolls in with a weapon having been working for Lex the entire time.
Lex and Otis execute the rest of the watchmen and police and break in the helicopter just for Supergirl to fly into their way. Lex proclaims it's pleasant to at long last meet her.
Brainy chooses he and Nia can't be together.
J'onn recovers Brainy's ring, however leaves Kara to offer it to him.
Kara reveals to J'onn she will remain with him regardless of what way he picks.
Lex was behind Lena working with the DEO on her serum.
- The episode's title is a reference to a fictional book of the same name in the 1941 film Sullivan's Travels.
- The title of this episode is from a Coens Brother 2000 film of the same name about the convicts who record a song in the depression era and become famous. The movie also draws a lot from the epic poem The Odyssey by Homer.
- In the flashback at the beginning, Lex turned the sun red in a bid to de-power Superman, a reference to The War of the Superman storyline in 2010, when he briefly turned the sun red to save Earth from an invasion of hostile Kryptonians.
- Lex's act of creating an earthquake is a reference to the original Superman (1978), where Luthor's master plan was to use the quake to sink the west coast and turn the near-worthless desert real estate he'd bought up into a valuable water-front property.
- Lex having inoperable cancer after injecting himself with Kryptonite is a reference to the original comics, where he discovered that Kryptonite radiation was deadly to humans (if not quite so fast-acting as it is with Kryptonians) after he began wearing a Kryptonite ring to keep Superman at bay and later developed cancer.
- Brainiac-5's contention that he usually gets along so well with machines may be a reference to his creation, in the DC comics, of COMPUTO, a sentient machine which became one of the greatest adversaries of the Legion of Super-Heroes.
- While looking at a portrait of Lillian, Lex mentions how her eyes seem to follow one around, the same observation Mrs. Queller makes to Alex in "".
- It is implied Lena's mother was Irish, another nod to the former's actress, Katie McGrath, being Irish.
- Supergirl uses a pun when she says "Damn It!" while repairing cracks in the dam.
- There's a factual error in Lex's citation. Epicurus lived between 341–270 BC - making his statement over 2000 years old instead of ~280.
- James' doctor tells Alex, Mia, and Brainy that they cannot see James because they are not family. Yet when a perfect stranger arrives and states she is James' sister, the doctor believes her without asking her for any ID.
- At 3:14 the helicopter ambulance has the registration C-FTHZ. The C indicates the helo is registered in Canada where Supergirl is filmed. As the series alleges to take place in the US, the registration should begin with N as for all aircraft registered in the US.
|"" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • " " • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • ""|