- "Living with fragments of the people we love pales in comparison to the real thing."
- —Alex Danvers
"Phantom Menaces" is the third episode of the sixth season of , and the one-hundred-ninth episode overall. It aired on April 13, 2021.
|Supergirl makes a new ally. Lena and Lex battle for control of Luthor Corp.|
In the Phantom Zone, Supergirl has broken her leg; she and Zor-El hitched a ride on a phantom through a portal and upon exiting, she fell hard upon the ground. As she struggled in pain, bandits kidnapped Zor-El. Kara would have been taken as well but Nyxly tricked them into leaving without her.
After Nyxly and Kara exchange origin stories and trust, Nyxly explains to Kara that the bandits sacrifice people to a beast they fear. As Kara rests to prepare to raid the bandits' cave, Nyxly regains her magical powers, heals Kara's leg, and prepares for the confrontation.
Lex is not pleased because Lena is slowing the deals that he is making with Kasnia, so he confronts her and tells her that he is having District attorney Matthews investigate her for her part in Project Non Nocere to get her to relinquish control.
Alex Danvers sits in her apartment and cries as she watches Kara's video will, but Kelly Olsen talks to her and gets Alex to help with the diagnosis of Silas who, in the Tower, loses his soul and transforms into a phantom. The sight of the transformation triggers Alex's PTSD.
Acting as the leader of the Superfriends and missing Kara but trying not to be too emotional, J'onn gives M'gann commands not to chase phantoms on her own. M'gann responds by going anyway when the police are alerted that phantoms are attacking citizens. By the time the other Superfriends arrived on the scene of the attacks, M'gann was infected.
Lena and Querl transfer some of Lex's money to a children's hospital; Lex gets Otis Graves to bomb the place and to tell the press that Lena was in charge of the place's faulty wiring. Lena wishes Lex death, but Brainy takes the suggestion seriously. Lena talks Brainy who is filled with rage out of his emotional breakdown and she realizes that she needs to end her toxic relationship with her brother.
J'onn literally has a piece of M'gann's soul; when M'gann transforms into a phantom, the Superfriends transfer that piece back to M'gann to revert to normal. This inspires Alex to ask Kelly to live with her permanently.
Lena ends her war with Lex by declaring him the winner and telling him that he has sole possession of Luthor Corp. Lex tells his butler that even though he has everything he wants, he still wants more.
- Melissa Benoist as Supergirl
- Chyler Leigh as Dr. Alex Danvers/Sentinel
- Katie McGrath as Lena Luthor
- Jesse Rath as Querl Dox/Brainiac 5
- Nicole Maines (credit only)
- Azie Tesfai as Dr. Kelly Olsen
- Julie Gonzalo (credit only)
- Staz Nair (credit only)
- Peta Sergeant as Nyxlygsptlnz
- David Harewood as J'onn J'onzz/Martian Manhunter
Special guest starring
- Nina Ann Solberg as Reporter #1
- Tricia Collins as Reporter #2
- Sandy Robson as Scar
- Simon Webb as Philippe
- This episode's original title was "Phantoms of the Opera", which was a play on the novel The Phantom of the Opera.
- The new episode title is a play on Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace.
- As Brainy is ranting to Lex Luthor, he says 'You shouldn't have a future. You shouldn't even be able to. You should be haunted by a Kryptonian heart beating ceaselessly beneath your floorboards!' it is an analogy of Edgar Allan Poe tale, the 'Tell-Tale Heart.
- Lena brings up the "little boxes" metaphor from season 4 again, realizing repressing her feelings are what ate her away.
- Lex Luthor's butler calls Lex "the man who has everything", a reference to the classic Superman story For the Man Who Has Everything by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons.
- This episode serves as the final part of Lex's defeat; his plans to become a "god", brainwash the world into worshiping him and even his petty game of tag/payback with Lena all fall through.
|"" • "" • " " • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • ""|
|"" • "" • "" • "" • "" • TBA • TBA • TBA|