- "Krypton's destruction sent a shock wave that knocked my pod off-course and into the Phantom Zone. A region in space where time doesn't pass. I slept there for 24 years until somehow, I got here."
- —Kara Zor-El[src]
The Phantom Zone is a region of space in which time stands still, and from which extremely little escapes.
In 1979, Kal-El and Kara Zor-El were rocketed away from the dying planet of Krypton to Earth. However, Kara's pod veered off-course and she was stuck in the Phantom Zone, only arriving on Earth 24 years later. As Kara left the Phantom Zone, she pulled Fort Rozz with her. Since time doesn't pass in the Phantom Zone, Kara didn't age at all during her stay.
About 36 years later, it was revealed by Indigo that Kara escaped the Phantom Zone when Indigo downloaded herself into Kara's pod and re-activated its engines, allowing it to leave the zone and resume its journey towards Earth.
Years later, Mar Novu admitted he released Malefic J'onzz from the Phantom Zone as a test for J'onn J'onzz. Braniac and Lena Luthor work together on The Phantom Zone Projector. While he is away, unbeknownst to everyone she tampers with it. Breaking the machine so instead of anyone affected, would not be sent to the Phantom zone, instead would be transported to sell in her bunker. After using it on Malefic, everyone at the DEO believes he was now back inside the Phantom Zone.
- Astra (deceased)
- Kara Zor-El
- Vartox (deceased)
- Brainiac 8/Indigo (deceased)
- Jindah Kol Rozz (deceased)
- Other prisoners of Fort Rozz (some deceased)
- Malefic J'onzz
Adventures of Supergirl
Behind the scenes
- The Phantom Zone was first featured in Adventure Comics #283 (1961) and created by Robert Bernstein and George Papp.