- For other episodes of the same name, see Pilot.
- "The name of the island they found me on is Lian Yu. It's Mandarin for "purgatory". I've been stranded here for 5 years. I've dreamt of my rescue every cold black night since then. For 5 years, I have had only one thought, one goal... survive. Survive and one day return home. The island held many dangers. To live, I had to make myself more than what I was, to forge myself into a weapon. I am returning not the boy who was shipwrecked but the man who will bring justice to those who have poisoned my city. My name is Oliver Queen."
- —Oliver Queen
After a violent shipwreck, billionaire playboy Oliver Queen was missing and presumed dead for 5 years before being discovered alive on a remote island in the Pacific. Back in Starling City, Oliver slowly reconnects with those closest to him, his devoted mother Moira, his beloved sister Thea, and his best friend Tommy Merlyn, but struggles with his ex-girlfriend Dinah Laurel Lance, who blames him for her sister's death. Oliver has brought back many new skills from his time on the island and despite the watchful eye of his new bodyguard John Diggle, Oliver manages to secretly create the persona of an unknown vigilante archer nicknamed the Hood by the police trying to catch him. Using the Hood, Oliver tries to right the wrongs of his family and fight the ills of society. As the Hood, Oliver will atone for the past sins of his family while he searches for the personal redemption he needs.
A man in a green hood is running through a forst till he gets to a large rock and starts ciming it. At the top, he sees a baot in th waters. He runs some more when he reaches his bow and arrows. The man strikes one of the arrows on a rock to light on fire. Which he shoots out of his bow to hit a bunch of sticks in a hudle. Causing the sticks to light up in a explosion. the fishermen on the boat see the explosion and sail to the shore. Oliver Queen starts narrinatong that the island they found him on was Lian Yu which is manderin for purgatory. He says that he was stranded for 5 years on a island which held many dangers that change him to become the one who will bring justice to those who posined his city. While Oliver was narrating the man in the hood reviews that he is OLiver Queen. A news station reviews that Oliver Queen was on a ship the Queen's Gambit with his father when a storm that clamin the ship. Oliver and his father Robert Queen were both persumed dead. Now Roberts death is conferm but Oliver is stil alive.
- Thea's childhood nickname, Speedy, is a reference to Mia Dearden, her counterpart from the comics who takes on the mantle of Speedy after Roy Harper. Similarly, Thea joined Team Arrow as Speedy in season 3 after Roy Harper left.
- Also, several archery trophies can be seen in Thea's room, further foreshadowing her vigilante identity.
- Tommy mentions that Oliver hasn’t had sex in 1,839 days (by his rough estimate). 1,839 days is equal to 5 years, 1 week, and 6 days. Since most Arrow episodes take place in real time, we can assume this episode takes place on October 10, 2012 (the day it aired which also happened be on Beth Schwartz's birthday), meaning the Queen's Gambit probably sank on or around September 27, 2007.
- Tommy states that one of the dancers at Oliver's party resembles "the chick from Twilight" and mentions how Oliver is better off not knowing what that is. This is a reference to Bella Swan, the protagonist of the often-criticized Twilight Saga.
- James Bamford made a cameo appearance as the gunman who gets his neck snapped by Oliver.
Shooting ran until April 3, 2012.
|"" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • """ • "|