- For the eponymous island, see Lian Yu (Earth-1).
- For other uses of Purgatory, see Purgatory (disambiguation).
- "The name of the island they found me on is Lian Yu. It's Mandarin for purgatory. Now I understand why. The memories, the pain, I've never escaped them. They're always with me, a reminder of what I had to endure with only one thought, one goal-- survive. To save the multiverse, I must become something else. To do that, I have to return to where my journey began-- purgatory."
- —Oliver Queen
"Purgatory" is the seventh and midseason finale episode of the eighth season of , and the one-hundred-sixty-seventh episode overall. It aired on December 3, 2019.
|Oliver’s mission takes him to Lian Yu where he tries to ignore the repercussions of the looming Crisis until he receives help from an old friend. Meanwhile, a united Team Arrow faces a recognizable villain.|
The two gatherings — Team Arrow and Future Team Arrow — find themselves on Lian Yu, where The Monitor needs them to fabricate a Crisis-halting weapon. Lyla Michaels reveals that the weapon they're to assemble won't stop the looming crisis; rather it will spare the lives of the heroes that can stop it. This disclosure drives Oliver Queen to reveal his destiny to his children; he has accepted that he will die during the Anti-Monitor Crisis.
Somewhere else, Lyla discloses to John Diggle that Novu has filled in as a guardian angel of sorts in the course of recent years. She says he revealed to her he was the one that protected her and her unit from an IED when they were positioned in Afghanistan.
Dinah Drake, Roy Harper, and Rene Ramirez are flying to the island independently, but the plane is hit by a rocket-pushed projectile. The gatherings split up to discover the destruction and Diggle, Lyla, and Connor Hawke in the long run go over Dinah and a seriously harmed Rene — Roy is mysteriously gone. They eventually discover him stuck underneath a bit of plane destruction, with his arm totally squashed. Connor takes a stab at suggesting a removal; however, his dad in a split second opposes this idea.
Oliver and Laurel go over the gadget Dinah and her plane group was conveying yet they run into an impediment — individuals Oliver recently experienced on the island, who have since passed on, have apparently returned in physical structure. This incorporates some Deathstroke-related soldiers of fortune drove by Edward Fyers and Yao Fei.
Laurel escapes after Oliver and Yao Fei pursue the hired soldiers. After Laurel matches up with Dinah, Diggle, Connor, and Roy, the last persuades the gathering to cut away his arm so they can get Oliver out. In their interest, Oliver and Yao Fei get ensnared in nets hung by trees, something that just immediately hangs them back. Yao Fei utilizes a focal point and his blade to wear out of the nets, permitting Oliver to meet with the remainder of the gathering at camp — where they've been encircled by Fyers and his men.
A hard and fast fight breaks out between Team Arrow and Fyers' men. Oliver and William start fueling up the gadget when it's uncovered Oliver isn't the one that powers it — Novu made it so Lyla would be the wielder of the world-sparing gadget. Lyla turns it on and it instantly destroys Fyers and the entirety of his men. The second after she utilizes it, she at that point ventures through a portal.
As everybody scatters, Oliver and Diggle show at least a bit of kindness to heart. During this, Oliver asks Diggle to find Felicity after Crisis and have her reconnect William and Mia because they don't need to grow up separated. They two at that point concur the future form of the characters should be come back to 2040 preceding Crisis starts.
Oliver's talking with Mia when the skies turn red and a lightning storm starts. Lyla shows up and tells the pair she's been renamed Harbinger and the Crisis has started.
- Stephen Amell as Oliver Queen/Green Arrow
- David Ramsey as John Diggle/Spartan
- Rick Gonzalez as Rene Ramirez/Wild Dog
- Juliana Harkavy as Captain Dinah Drake/Black Canary
- Katherine McNamara as Mia Smoak/Blackstar
- Ben Lewis as older William Clayton
- Joseph David-Jones as older Connor Hawke
Special appearance by
Special guest star
- Audrey Marie Anderson as Director Lyla Michaels/Harbinger
- Byron Mann as Yao Fei Gulong
- Sebastian Dunn as Edward Fyers
- Jeffrey Robinson as Billy Wintergreen
- Tom Cavanagh as Dr. Harrison Nash Wells
- LaMonica Garrett as Mobius/Anti-Monitor (voice)
Preparation ran from September 10 until September 18, 2019. Shooting ran from September 19 until October 1, 2019.
- The title references the English translation for Lian Yu.
- This is the first episode of since "" to feature Oliver having a voiceover.
- This marks the first appearance of Edward Fyers since the Season 1 finale, "", and his only appearance in the present day.
- Billy Wintergreen also appears for the first time since "" and this marks his only appearance in the present day.
- This is the first appearance of Yao Fei Gulong in the present day; having previously appeared in Season 1 through flashbacks and in "" as a vision in a flashback.
- Interestingly enough, Yao Fei wears his green hood and and his Carbon fiber longbow, both of which he gave to Oliver, instead his army outfit he wore before his death.
- Like "", this episode doesn't have many callbacks to previous seasons, mostly from the Season 1 flashbacks on Lian Yu.
- Like in the comics, Roy loses his arm.
- This is the last episode of Arrow to centrally take place on Earth-1.
- This is the last episode that Oilver and Diggle interact on-screen before Oilver's death in "".
- The broadcast version concluded with a scene from "".
|"" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • " " • "" • "" • ""|