- "Though we go forth alone, our soul unites us under Rao's gladsome rays. We're never lost, never afraid, for we shrink not under the sun of righteousness. Rao binds us to those we love. He gives us strength when we have none. And in the darkest places, He guides us. For Rao sees all, feels all, His love eternal. Rao, protect us, so that we might protect others. And we shall rise, a fire in His hearth, burning and free."
- —Prayer of Rao[src]
Rao is a Kryptonian deity, symbolizing sunlight. After Krypton’s destruction, faith in him was spread to Earth.
After Mon-El's sacrifice, Kara Zor-El devoted her life to her heroics as Supergirl, reconnecting with her Kryptonian heritage, as she started to meditate and pray according to the tenets of the faith of Rao. However, she wasn't the only one who was affected by this religion. Thomas Coville, an ex-lawyer saved by Supergirl on Flight 237, has found hope in his life once again and started gathering others saved by Supergirl. Using knowledge from a Kryptonian capsule he has found, Thomas created the Cult of Rao, spreading the Kryptonian deity's worship on Earth, although Kara Zor-El considered the ways of this cult to be heretical, misunderstanding Rao's message, primarily because Thomas intended to portray her as one of the deities of the pantheon.
Despite this, she went back to the private worship of Rao herself, performing a prayer of the faith alone with the hologram of her mother.
One night, in the bathroom, Samantha Arias looked in the mirror and was horrified to see a vision of herself covered in strange symbols as well as Selena in a hood telling her that she was born from Rao's fire.
Rao is seen as a benevolent god, guiding his worshipers and giving them hope. Certain faiths, like the Cult of Rao, consider the earthly troubles and challenges part of Rao's test that his chosen must overcome. The Cult's mysterious benefactors intended to spread the idea of reigning in Rao's name to Samantha Arias and her daughter, Ruby Arias.
Powers and abilities
- Physiology of Divinity: As the god of the Kryptonians, he has the same powers as his creation, at a much higher level.
- Immortality: Due to him being a deity, Rao is presumed to be an immortal being.
- Sun/Light-related powers: Being a deity symbolizing the sunlight, Rao is credited with its powers.
- Omniscience: It is said that Rao has seen the path for each of his worshippers.
- Omnipotence: According to the Kryptonian religion, Rao created the universe. At the very least, he has the power to create a planet and the possibly most powerful race in the universe.
Adventures of Supergirl
Behind the scenes
Its possible that Rao is simply the Kryptonian interpretation of God.