- "Oh, Montoya. Last I checked, you traded that big shiny pin for a basement desk in the city hall. What's it again, Freak Squad?"
- "The Rogues unit."
- —Kevin and Renee Montoya[src]
Renee blackmailed Ryan Wilder into working with Beth Kane in order to get the Bat trophies off the streets before they fell into the wrong hands. This was ultimately nothing more than a façade in order to hide her true agenda: to find Pamela and free her from captivity due to her regret for betraying the woman that she loved years earlier.
After Renee freed Pamela from captivity, she takes her to Coryana; in order for them to start a new life together.
At some point, Renee began studying criminal law at Gotham University, where she met botany student Pamela Isley and eventually despite of their initial differences they began a romantic relationship. After Pamela was kidnapped and made a guinea pig by Marc LeGrand for one of his experiments, Pamela became obsessed with saving the planet and punishing anyone who destroys it. This extreme new way of thinking caused her relationship with Pamela to crumble. During her career as a police officer, Renee's partner was injured by Pamela, now known as "Poison Ivy", which caused a major shake up in their relationship. When learning that Pamela planned to destroy the Gotham City dam, Renee herself would later reach out to Batman, imploring the bat vigilante to help neutralize Pamela.
In response, Batman gave Renee a desiccation formula of his own design and proposed a plan to capture Pamela by luring her using Pamela's past connections with Renee as incentive, with Renee herself having to be the one to administer the formula for she is the only one who can get close enough for the deed. Renee met Pamela at her apartment, pretending to sympathize with her plan to destroy the dam, before tearfully injecting Pamela with the desiccation serum, putting Pamela in suspended animation. With their trap succeeded, Batman promised to imprison Ivy somewhere no one will find her, never divulging to Renee exactly where. What became of her beloved weighted on Renee for sometime and was left with the theory that Gotham's Dark Knight buried Pamela somewhere beneath the city where no sunlight or water may reach, since such an environment would render Poison Ivy next to powerless and thus impossible for her to escape, even with her powers.
Despite helping Batman subdue Ivy, Renee felt a tremendous amount of guilt and remorse over betraying Pamela, and this guilt combined with years of not knowing what happened to Pamela afterwards, led to Renee's decision to ultimately find and free Pamela. When Renee thought there was a chance she see Pamela again, she created a toxin, started ingesting a drop a day, hoping she could build up a tolerance to Pam's mind control. At some point, Renee left the Gotham City Police Department to lead the Rogues unit for mayor Akins. Despite the unit being underfunded, understaffed and having fewer resources than the GCPD or the Crows, the job gave Renee all the freedom she needed to secretly begin her search for Pamela.
Investigating the Batman trophies
After being informed of several murders committed by a second Mad Hatter, Renee began investigating. She told the newly-elected Mayor Hartley that this Mad Hatter is not the original and asked her to listen to her before the city became Jim Gordon's Gotham all over again. Later, Renee turned on the Bat-Signal and waited for Batwoman to arrive. When she arrived, Renee revealed that she is aware of her civilian identity due to a deal she made with Alice. She then asked them to work together to retrieve the Batman Trophies.
After officially having Alice released from Arkham on parole, and then tasking Ryan with working with her while she's in her custody, Renee helped the Bat Team on the case of the new Killer Croc, though she was worried that Alice had escaped when she fried her electronic anklet, but Ryan calmed her down when she retrieved Alice. She also helped with Mr. Freeze's missing liquid nitrogen case.
When a man was killed with whip marks, Renee suspected that it was Catwoman's whip and asked Alice and Batwoman to investigate. They discovered that it wasn't Catwoman's whip and Alice stayed with Montoya to search the files for new suspects. Alice then found a large Poison Ivy file and asked Renee why she is so obsessed with her like this, suspecting that Montoya's motives for hunting down the Batman Trophies were far less about keeping them from coming into anybody's possession and more about securing, in particular, Poison Ivy's vine and more importantly its source. Renee then revealed that she and Ivy were once lovers.
Alice later discovered a new suspect, the criminal "Flamingo". She also passed to Renee some dead samples of Poison Ivy's vines in a plastic bag, leading to Montoya giving Alice a funny look, seemingly under the impression that the other woman brought some cheap and low-quality cannabis to share and smoke between the two of them - and "have a good time" together in the Rogues unit office. Alice makes her intentions clear, denoting what those withered vines actually were and Renee takes it then immediately inquired Alice from where she obtained them, for such plant-life only withers if they infected someone, hinting that a helpless victim could be out there. But more importantly, Poison Ivy could still be alive and at large in Gotham by that very moment.
Discovering the new Poison Ivy
After finding Chris Hayner smothered by plants and bees, Renee sent him to Mary Hamilton's clinic. Unbeknownst to her, Mary was actually responsible for the attack. Renee was later called by Mary informing her of a "Poison Ivy sighting" in the Gotham Botanical Gardens. When Renee arrived, she was attacked by Mary as Poison Ivy. Later, she hooked up with Sophie Moore after meeting at a bar.
Renee's true agenda revealed
Starting a new life together with Pamela
Renee is a righteous and pragmatic woman with a very personal mission to help clean the streets of Gotham City in the right way, by whatever means necessary. After the Batman trophies were found throughout Gotham, Renee rushed to have them taken back, as they are capable of many dangerous things if left alone.
After Mary Hamilton was infected by one of Pamela Isley's vines, Renee assisted the Bat Team in finding her former girlfried in order to use the desiccation serum used on Pamela ten years ago on Mary. However, unbeknownst to the Bat Team, Renee secretly used this as an opportunity to free and flee with Pamela, showing that she just wants to live a normal life with her away from the chaos.
- High-level intellect/Expert investigator/Leader: As a former police detective of the Gotham City Police Department, Renee is a highly intelligent individual and an excellent investigator, as she is able to follow every lead to discover the truth behind any crime. In particular, she is well-versed with Batman's old nemeses having kept filing cabinets of compiled information not only concerning those said rogues, but also those of the first and second Batwoman, and was familiar enough with the real Poison Ivy's vine-work to recognize a fake one brought into her attention, along with the implications should such real vine wither and die. Renee is a very capable leader, as she leads the Rogues unit in their operations, despite the fact that said unit is evidently undermanned with only Renee herself present there at nearly all times.
- Toxicology: As a testament to her intellect, Renee was shown to be very proficient in toxicology, as she was not only able to create a Pheromone blocking toxin to counteract the effects of Pamela Isley's pheromone-based abilities, but also carefully ingested a drop a day for over 10 years, which allowed her to build up a tolerance to Pam's pheromones, effectively preventing her from being effected by her mind control.
- Expert of deception/Manipulator: Renee is highly skilled in the art of deception and manipulation; she was able to force Ryan Wilder into reluctantly working with Beth Kane by threatening to expose her identity as "Batwoman" to the public if she did not comply. She deceived the entire Bat Team (except for Beth) into believing that she wanted to get the Batman trophies off the streets before they fell into the wrong hands, but in truth, Renee was actually manipulating them into helping her find and free her girlfriend, Pamela Isley from captivity. Renee was also able to trick Sophie Moore into revealing the existence and location of Coryana in order for her and Pamela to start a new life together.
- Expert hand-to-hand combatant: As a former police detective, Renee is a highly skilled hand-to-hand combatant, as she had received training as all Gotham City Police Department members do; while armed with a baseball bat (apparently one of Marquis Jet's collected personal sports paraphernalia) she was able to overpower several security guards at Wayne Enterprises relatively easily.
- Expert marksman: As a former police detective, Renee is highly skilled in the use of firearms.
- Guns: Renee is very proficient in using guns.
- Pheromone blocker: Renee created a pheromone blocker in the event that she did in fact find and free Pamela. She created the toxin to counter Poison Ivy's pheromone based mind control abilities, and carefully ingested a drop of it a day for over 10 years in order to build up an immunity to said pheromones. Direct exposure to this pheromone blocker was shown to have severely weaken Pamela, as well as those with the same powers and abilities as her, such as Mary Hamilton, who exposed herself to it in order to trap and weaken Pamela.
- Renee was a police detective for eight years at some point in her life.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Renee Montoya is a Gotham City Police Department officer and the vigilante known as the Question. She first appeared in the Batman: The Animated Series episode "Pretty Poison" (September, 1992). She debuted in Batman #475 (March, 1992), which was published before her first TV appearance.