The Starling Slasher
At some point in 2013 or before, Richard started to kill prostitutes, slicing them with a ceremonial dagger. Operating in the Glades, he mainly killed in Crescent Circle. Richard successfully evaded capture and identification using his qualifications and public image as a successful lawyer.
Encounter with vigilantes
Deciding to use Sin as bait, the pair hit the streets with Sin eventually stumbling upon Richard, who took her for a ride in his car and brought her to a desolated parking building. After a short talk, Richard tried to kill Sin with a dagger. Roy, who was following them, ripped the car's door off and attacked Richard, who tried to offer him money. Angered, Roy brutally beat Richard before Sin stopped him.
The pair brought Richard to a hospital, in the care of Dr. Lockhart. It was revealed that Richard sustained severe damage to his head and lower abdomen, a ruptured spleen, and a massive swelling in his brain. While his condition was stabilized, it is unknown whether he recovered. If he did, Richard was most likely imprisoned for his crimes.
Thea Queen who (unknowingly) helped dress up Sin for operation, became aware of the situation with Richard and later confided in Oliver Queen, who used this to try and train Roy under the guise of Arrow.
While being a highly disturbed individual, Richard was quite cold and calculative in his killing spree, using his public image and skills as a lawyer to avoid prosecution or even identification. While encountering the uncontrollable brutal rage of a Mirakuru-enhanced Roy Harper, Richard was terrified and offered him money in exchange for being spared, showing his cowardly side.
- High-level intellect/Expert lawyer: Richard is a highly skilled lawyer, which aided him in avoiding prosecution for his crimes.
- Skilled driver: Richard is a very careful driver with cars.
- Ceremonial dagger: Richard used an unknown ceremonial dagger in his killing spree.
- Richard's car plate number is MLL885.
Behind the scenes
- Richard is based on the Seattle Slasher, an otherwise unnamed serial killer from the comics, who had victimized prostitutes and encountered Oliver Queen (then residing in Seattle rather then Star City) and Shado in the mini-series Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters.
- Richard also shares more then a passing resemblance with an another serial killer from Green Arrow's rogues gallery, Stanley Dover, Elder a.k.a. the Star City Slayer, who had a Star City-based nickname, was wealthy, used human victims to perform some magic ceremonies (while Richard used some kind of ceremonial dagger) and antagonized Oliver Queen.
- Richard's name was only mentioned in the end credits of "".