- "In our last class, we touched on the subject of Nirvana. Achieving enlightenment. In order to do that, certain truths must be accepted. First and foremost, suffering is unavoidable. Secondly, you must understand that suffering is caused by craving. Humankind desires relief in ways that ultimately do not satisfy the soul. The third and final truth is that inner peace is possible. But humankind's suffering won't end until we learn how to stop our desire."
- —Prof. Richard Simpson[src]
Newcastle Incident and early life
Ritchie was present when John was trying to expel a demon from Astra Logue. The exorcism went wrong, and Astra was banished to Hell. Ritchie suffered trauma from the incident and had trouble sleeping long after the event. Much like the rest of the Newcastle crew, Ritchie didn't want anything to do with John after this.
Powers and abilities
- Magic: As a part of the Newcastle crew, Ritchie was skilled in the use of magic, although he seems to have given it up after the events of Newcastle.
- Interdimensional travel: Ritchie, along with John, knew the Egyptian dream temple technique that would allow them to travel to the reality of Jacob Shaw.
- Reality manipulation: While in the reality of Jacob Shaw, Ritchie was able to override the world around him, despite it being created and controlled by Shaw. He was able to banish Shaw from his own reality, and reshape the entire world. Ritchie mentioned he had studied the principles of other planes, which allowed him to do this.
- Skilled hacker: Ritchie was able to shut off the power grid of an entire city.
- Occult knowledge: Ritchie has acquired extensive knowledge of the supernatural.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Ritchie Simpson is a friend of John Constantine who subsequently became a demon.
- Jeremy Davies reprised his role as Ritchie Simpson in the feature-length animated film Justice League Dark, alongside Matt Ryan as John Constantine. This film is not part of the Arrowverse, instead being released as part of the DC Universe Animated Original Movies.
- Simpson's actor, Jeremy Davies, later appeared in crossover as John Deegan.