- "Why are you doing this? I'm exactly like you. I only steal from the rich."
- "I'm not Robin Hood."
- —Winnick Norton and The Hood[src]
Robin of Locksley (fl. 1183), otherwise known as Robin Hood, was a legendary Middle Ages archer and a folktale hero.
Robin was born in Locksley. He was romantically associated with Maid Marion and friends with Will Scarlet. Robin also led a group of "The Merry Men," stealing from the rich and giving to poor.
At some point, Vandal Savage encountered Robin, learning from him how to resist pain, which was crucial for Savage as he, while being immortal and able to heal from most injuries, was not resistant to it. In exchange, Vandal taught Robin archery, which began Robin's legacy as a known archer.
An assortment of identities used by vigilante Oliver Queen, including "The Hood", "The Arrow" and "Green Arrow" have drawn numerous comparisons with Robin Hood over the years. Quentin Lance made fun of the vigilante's description from Adam Hunt, which was similar to Robin Hood. Winnick Norton argued his own motives with the vigilante's for stealing from the rich. Vandal Savage recollected his past experiences with Robin while witnessing the Green Arrow's archery. Rene Ramirez initially compared the soon-to-be Team Arrow as a band of Merry Men.
- "Robin of Locksley. I taught him how to use a bow. He taught me how to not feel pain."
- —Vandal Savage on Robin of Locksley[src]
- Master archer: Vandal Savage taught Robin archery to such a level that the latter became a legendary archer on his own.
- Master thief: Robin became legendary for stealing from the rich and giving to the poor.
- Leadership: Robin led a group known as "The Merry Men."
- Indomitable will/High tolerance for pain: Robin taught Savage how to not feel pain in exchange for learning archery from the latter. His tutelage was so effective that Savage was unfazed when he was shot with an arrow by the Green Arrow.
- Bow and arrow: Robin was a very proficient archer.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
Behind the scenes
- Robin Hood is a heroic outlaw in English folklore who "stole from the rich and gave to the poor", also being a highly skilled archer and swordsman. He is indeed sometimes attributed as a possible native of the village of Locksley, Nottinghamshire. However, historical evidence about Robin is scarce and nearly impossible to confirm.
- There are numerous versions of Robin Hood in the DC Comics, the main one being inspired by the folklore hero.
- It should be noted that original comic book depiction of Oliver Queen was clearly inspired by Robin Hood, including archery and a traditional green costume often attributed to the folklore hero.
- On , Oliver Queen was initially known as "The Hood", an alias which is also used by another character inspired by the Robin Hood myths.