- "We live to protect our brothers of this city. We started this Church of Blood group to protect the young and the orphans of Zandia! You will no longer be alone. Each life that has and will be taken for this cause is a sacrifice for the greater good."
- —Roger Trigon to Sebastian Blood[src]
Roger Trigon (died 2013), usually known as Father Trigon, and feared as The Devil, was a religious leader and the founder of the Church of Blood. He presided as the head of Zandia Orphanage, turning it into "a place of love and worship", and taking in acolytes such as Cyrus Gold and Sebastian Blood.
15 years before Sebastian Blood (secretly controlled by Slade Wilson) made a bid for power in Starling City as the leader of his Church of Blood, the religious cult was led by Roger Trigon, a priest and the head of Zandia Orphanage.
At some point, Father Trigon took a gangly teenager, Cyrus Gold, under his tutelage. Despite the priest's orders, Cyrus violated the rules of the orphanage and took in a wandering, broken youth named Sebastian Blood, whom he found in the Glades one day. Trigon nonetheless commended the teenager for doing a good deed and asked to see the boy he brought in. The boy, his face soaked with tears and blood, told the priest of parental abuse he suffered at the hands of his father, as well as of his dreams about "the man in black with a skull for a face". Father Trigon comforted Sebastian and agreed to take him in.
To protect his new recruit and ensure that he joins the Church of Blood, Trigon sent Sebastian back to his house, hiding nearby along with Cyrus. As soon as Sebastian's father began to hurt his son, Trigon and Cyrus appeared as the Devil and the Acolyte, respectively, and overpowered him. In the guise of the Devil, Trigon offered his new recruit a gun to kill his parents. Sebastian killed his unrepentant father and was ready to slay his pleading mother when the Devil took the gun from his hands, asking to spare his mother as "the giver of life". He then led the boy away from his house to an abandoned factory in the Glades.
At a gathering in the Glades, Trigon introduced Brothers Langford, Daily, and Clinton Hogue to Sebastian before revealing himself as the Devil and Cyrus as the Acolyte. Father Trigon then christened Sebastian as "Brother Blood", presenting him with a skull mask similar to the one Sebastian saw in his nightmares. Trigon explained to Sebastian their brotherhood's mission of protecting the poor and weak of Starling City, no matter the cost.
Trigon passed away in 2013, some months before the start of Sebastian's (now an Alderman) mayoral campaign. This prompted Cyrus to become the new head of Zandia Orphanage, with support and funding from Sebastian.
Powers and abilities
- Leadership: Trigon was a respected preacher and the head of Zandia Orphanage, and used his charisma to influence people to join the Church of Blood and follow his commands, as shown when he told Sebastian Blood whom to kill and whom to spare.
- Skilled hand-to-hand combatant: In his guise as the Devil, Trigon managed to overpower and beat up Sebastian Sangre, leaving him defenseless to be slain by his son.
- The creature described to Trigon by Sebastian Blood resembles his own dramatic appearance as "Brother Blood" 15 years after their meeting. The skull mask was given to Sebastian by Trigon during his admission into the ranks of the Church of Blood.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Trigon is a demonic being worshiped by the Church of Blood rather than its head priest. He is the father and the arch-enemy of the superheroine Raven, a team-mate of Roy Harper, in his guise as Speedy of the Teen Titans.
- His alter-ego as the Devil, in which he appears before Sebastian's parents reflects his true form as a demonic monster from DC Comics.