- "The Reagan administration would call upon the top nuclear physicists to act as technical advisors."
- —Martin Stein on Reagan's presidential administration[src]
Ronald Reagan was the President of the United States in 1987. On December 8th, 1987, Ronald Reagan and Soviet Union's Mikhail Gorbachev signed the INF Treaty, reducing both countries' nuclear arsenals and paving the way for the end of the Cold War. He was among the targets in a historical aberration plot overseen by Damien Darhk and Eobard Thawne.
In 1987, Ronald Reagan oversaw the signing of the INF Treaty with the Soviet Union's General Secretary Mikhail Gorbachev. During preliminary negotiations on December 7th, the Reagan Administration was infiltrated by Damien Darhk, who, in alliance with Eobard Thawne, conspired with the opportunist KGB agents to get a certain artifact from the Soviet Union in exchange for a CD-Rom that contained the nuclear codes of the United States, as well as a bomb that would blow up the White House. While Reagan was meeting Gorbachev on December 8th, Darhk's plan transpired, but was ultimately prevented by the Legends, with Ray Palmer and Mick Rory evacuating the guests from the building, before stopping the bomb left by Darhk. In 1988, Reagan had the US Embassy torn down after listening devices were found.
While Reagan was a person of power and an accomplished diplomat (seeing how he managed to convince Mikhail Gorbachev to sign the INF Treaty, despite the opportunistic KGB's thoughts), he was not without some quirks of his own, keeping a jar of jelly beans right under his own presidential portrait.
Powers and abilities
- Diplomacy: Reagan and his administration showed a powerful diplomatic acumen, convincing the Soviet Union to agree to the INF Treaty that would reduce the Soviet nuclear arsenal.
- Leadership: Reagan led the United States as a respected and powerful president, although he was not part of Ray Palmer's list of top three Presidents of the United States.
- Jelly beans jar: Reagan owned a jar of jelly beans that was located in the White House right under the man's portrait. Mick Rory and Ray Palmer stole some of the jelly beans.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
Behind the scenes
- Ronald Reagan was a real historical figure, being the 40th President of the United States, from 1981 to 1989. Publicly describing the Soviet Union as an "evil empire", he transitioned Cold War policy from détente to rollback, by escalating an arms race with the USSR while engaging in talks with Soviet General Secretary Mikhail Gorbachev, which culminated in the INF Treaty, shrinking both countries' nuclear arsenals. During his famous speech at the Brandenburg Gate, President Reagan challenged Gorbachev to "tear down this wall!". Five months after the end of his term, the Berlin Wall fell, and on December 26, 1991, nearly three years after he left office, the Soviet Union collapsed.
- In DC Comics, the fictionalized version of Ronald Reagan is also a prolific character, with his Earth-1 version appearing in more than 60 issues of various comic books.
|Presidents of the United States|
|George Washington • Ulysses S. Grant • Roosevelt • Ike Eisenhower • John F. Kennedy • L.B. Johnson • Richard Nixon • Ronald Reagan • Traveler • Susan Brayden (current)|
|Eisenhower • Olivia Marsdin • Phil Baker • Plastino (current)|