- For other uses of "Parasite", see Parasite.
- "We are Parasite."
- —Rudy Jones[src]
Dr. Rudy Jones (died November 2016) was a research scientist who became infected with an Angon alien parasite that could absorb the powers and life energy of other beings; this turned Jones into an alien-human hybrid called Parasite.
Rudy Jones worked as a researcher to stop climate change at the Thorul Arctic Research Station in Svalbard, Norway. In November 2016, his team found a frozen wolf that was oddly emanating heat signatures as if it was alive despite having been killed over 4,000 years ago. Jones began to perform an autopsy on the wold, only to become infected by an Angon alien parasite, which had infested the animal's tissues. The parasite took over Jones' body and proceeded to kill all of his coworkers.
Back to National City
Rescued by the D.E.O., Jones was taken back to National City, where the parasite start to take over him and began targeting anti-global warming politicians. Despite Supergirl and Martian Manhunter tried to stop him, eventually he drained the powers of two people, leaving J'onn in critical condition and transformed into a larger and monstrous purple alien-human hybrid called "Parasite".
It was unknown what Rudy's personality was like before he became infected by an angry alien parasite, but after being infected, Rudy became cold, cruel and ruthless, he was also unreasonable and unstable to the point of being delusional.
Rudy had zeal to avoid the climatic change, and as Parasite he has targeted climate change deniers.
Powers and abilities
- "The organism seems to be absorbing my red blood cells, rewriting my DNA into something new. We're not two distinct beings any longer. We've become one. One greater than the sum of its parts."
- —Rudy following his infection[src]
- Energy/Power absorption: Rudy was able to absorb the life energy of other beings, leaving withered corpses. After contact with Supergirl, Rudy gained her Kryptonian physical abilities and later, the physical abilities of the Martian Manhunter, which mutated him into a monster. Unlike humans, both Supergirl and Martian Manhunter were able to survive his absorption of their power, though each of them were left unconscious in a withered state and the latter was unable to recover on his own without a blood transfusion from M'gann M'orzz.
- Invulnerability: Rudy became invulnerable after gaining Supergirl's powers. Despite being shot at multiple times by Alex, the bullets deflected off his body.
- Super leaping: Rudy could jump several stories in the air on a single bound. He used this power to escape from the D.E.O. agents who shot at him and during his fight with Guardian.
- Super strength: Rudy was strong enough to crush a gun with his hands. After his transformation, he could lift Mon-El by his head with just one hand and was able to lift a car over his head.
- High-level intellect/Expert scientist: As a scientist, Rudy was highly intelligent and had enough knowledge of genetics to realize that the alien parasite was altering his physiology.
- Plutonium-239: This substance was able to overwhelm his life energy-absorbing powers, causing his body to disintegrate; killing him.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Parasite frequently appears as an enemy of Superman, who feeds on energy by absorbing it into his body with his touch, draining all living creatures into husks.
- In the Superman animated series, Parasite teams up with Livewire who also appeared in .