- "I'm no hero. I'm a husband, and if this is the end then I have to be with my wife and kid. I'm sorry."
- —Ryan Choi[src]
Dr. Ryan Choi is a scientist and a physics professor of Ivy Town University. He is the husband of Amanda and the father of Simone. Ryan was revealed as the Paragon of Humanity, and helped to save the multiverse from the Anti-Monitor.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personality
- 3 Abilities
- 4 Appearances
- 5 Gallery
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Behind the scenes
- 8 References
Growing up, Ryan Choi studied science and eventually became a physics professor and a scientist.
On December 10, 2019, six months after Simone's birth, Ryan was in Ivy Town on the phone with his wife when he was approached by Ralph Dibny, Iris West-Allen, and Dr. Ray Palmer (of whom Ryan was a big fan). The three explained that they were there because Ryan was meant to be the Paragon of Humanity, one of seven heroes who could save the multiverse from being destroyed by the Anti-Monitor. Ryan does not believe them at first and decides to leave to be with his wife and daughter. Iris eventually convinces him to help, and he is brought aboard the Waverider. Once back on the Waverider, the heroes are greeted by Harbinger, who has returned after mysteriously disappearing. Pariah also appears and the heroes realize that Harbinger's return is a trap by the Anti-Monitor, who proceeds to kill Mar Novu and destroy Earth-1. Knowing what must be done, Pariah sends the 7 Paragons to the Vanishing Point where the Anti-Monitor can't reach them as the Waverider is destroyed and remaining heroes killed by the antimatter wave. At the vanishing point, the paragons witness Superman disappear and be replaced by Lex Luthor who used the Book of Destiny to make himself the Paragon of Truth.
Stuck at Vanishing Point
For weeks, the Paragons were stuck in Vanishing Point, as they were the only ones in existence. They all tried to invent ideas and plans to exit. As a scientist, Ryan partnered with Lex on trying to use the materials there to find a solution, but, over time, the partnership and the failures wore them down to the point of insults.
Oliver Queen returned as The Spectre, a ghostly being channeling the power of the multiverse. After giving the Flash a boost, Ryan and the other Paragons were taken into the speed force to reach Mar Novu's past on Maltus.
Maltus, 7,980 B.C.E
Unfortunately, the Anti-Monitor attacked during the trip, resulting in only Ryan, Lex and Supergirl reaching their destination. Lex revealed he empowered himself with the Book of Destiny, knocking out Supergirl and leaving to take advantage of Mar Novu's naivety. Lex attempted to do a rewrite of time to benefit him; however, Supergirl took on Lex. Ryan attended to Xaneen, Mar's wife, whom Lex knocked out. Ryan explains the consequences of what would happen to the multiverse if Mar went through with the experiment, convincing the man to give up. After breaking up the fight, Ryan was picked up by the Flash along with Supergirl and Lex.
Battle at the dawn of time
Reunited with Paragons at the dawn of time, Ryan was shocked to learn the netherverse still emerged despite him stopping Mar from going through with his trip. Mobius explained another Mar from the multiverse simply came in his place. The Spectre told the Paragons he would ignite the spark of a multiverse, but they would have to fan the flames; he left Lex to figure out how, as even Spectre did not know despite his cosmic awareness.
Ryan helped the Paragons fight the Shadow Demons, the Spectre clashed with Mobius; the resulting fight caused a bubble of matter, which was the new universe. Supergirl realized they could use Lex's page from the Book of Destiny to finish the new world by focusing on what they embodied as Paragons. Their combined wills finished the universe, blowing up Mobius and fatally wounding the Spectre.
Ryan was deposited on Earth-Prime, with his time as a Paragon seemingly a dream.
Ryan was looking after Simone when a shadow demon came to his house to attack him. He was almost killed, but Sara saved him. Later at the bunker, Ryan came up with the plan to banish Mobius to the Microverse.
Initially, Ryan had a lot of doubt in himself, he did not want to believe he was a paragon of anything, however, after spending a month stuck with the other paragons and receiving a few pep-talks, he began believing in himself. He begins opening up and trusting of his new friends.
Ryan is open to trying new things. He was excited at the opportunity of walking on an alien planet and was excited when Barry Allen showed off his speed.
- Genius-level intellect/Master engineer/Physicist: Ryan is an exceptional physicist, able to understand Ray Palmer's research on sub-atomic density manipulation. He also teaches fundamental physics at Ivy Town University. Working with Lex Luthor, Ryan was able to build and re-engineer some of the Time Masters' technology from the Vanishing Point.
- Expert tailor: According to Nora West-Allen, Ryan was the one who designed Barry Allen's 16th suit.
- Indomitable will: Ryan is the Paragon of Humanity, meaning he is a being of the purest will.
- Skilled hand-to-hand combatant: Ryan has some skills in unarmed combat, as he was seen defeating Shadow demons.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
Crisis on Infinite Earths
- Ryan is most likely the founder of Choi Enterprises, although it's unconfirmed.
- Ryan is the only human civilian to be chosen as a paragon, while everyone else is a trained warrior or superpowered individual in some form.
- This could mean that Ryan was chosen because he was the best representation of the "everyman" from the whole of the multiverse.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC Comics, Ryan Choi was a student of Ray Palmer and his successor to the identity of the Atom. His first appearance in the comics was Brave New World #1 (August, 2006).
- Ryan's daughter, Simone, might be named after one of his comic book creators, Gail Simone.