- "According to the police, you were assaulted by a street gang - known as the Santa Muerte."
- "Saint death. The unholy comforter to a legion of gangsters and hit men."
- —Stanley Gibson and John Constantine.[src]
In late 2014 John Constantine being in Mexico City under possession of demon Pazuzu assaulted and killed five members of the group, ending up in a prison. Remaining members of Santa Muerte tried to assassinate him once again, only for Lopez and two other members of the gang killed in a prison's chapel. After that John Constantine become feared in the prison and was nicknamed "El Diablo".
- Five members (deceased)
- Lopez (deceased)
Behind the scenes
- In the real world Santa Muerte is a cult that has become prominent in the 2000s and 2010s, as a continuation of the Aztec goddess of death Mictecacihuatl or Mictlancihuatl (Nahuatl for "Lady of the Dead"), worshipped as Nuestra Señora de la Santa Muerte (Spanish for Our Lady of the Holy Death). The cult is indeed popular among street gangs in Mexico.
- In the DC comics, some Santa Muertr motifs could be seen in numerous appearances of Chato Santana, also known as "El Diablo".
- ↑ ""