Satan, also known as the First of the Fallen, the Devil, the Dark One, the Voice, or the Prince of Darkness, is a fallen archangel and possibly the first angel created by God. He rules Hell alongside Beelzebub and Belial in the Triumvirate of Hell.
Banishment from Heaven
Satan was the first angel banished from Heaven and cast down to Hell due to rebelling against his creator for unknown reasons and starting a war in Heaven that he lost. Presumably, he is also the first angel created by God. Infuriated by his banishment to Hell, but recognizing that even with all his enormous power, he cannot fight against God himself, the Devil created demons and masterminded dark magic, using his dark spells to hunt for human souls, the purest expressions of God's love, by making bargains with them in exchange for any wish so that every time he took a soul, he'd exact revenge on God.
The Devil's Vinyl
A blues musician, by the name of Willie Cole, sold his soul to Satan for fame. After a period of time, Satan came to claim Willie's soul, while the latter was recording at Moonrise Studios. Satan's voice ended up being recorded on the song Willie was recording at the time. Anyone who picks up the record will become tempted to play it, and if they listen to the voice, the person will fall prey to the Devil.
Dark pacts and the Rising Darkness
Satan's powers were greatly enhanced by the Rising Darkness masterminded by Brujeria, a sect of warlocks eviler than Hell itself, who worshiped him as a deity. The Rising Darkness allowed Satan to release more and more demons and evil gods upon Earth, as part of the Brujeria's plan to combine Earth and Hell into one dimension. John Constantine, who confronted the Brujeria, was left at the mercy of Invunche and had to make a deal with the First of the Fallen to save his life. Using the Icon of Pazuzu, he removed his protective wards and welcomed the Demon King Pazuzu into his body, regenerating it and saving John from Invunche. However, as Manny explained, John was ultimately tricked by Satan, accepting a pact for temporary power in exchange for losing his soul to the demon bound to his body by Satan's dark magic. Although Constantine escaped such grievous fate, he encountered another of the primordial demons; Nahash, the Tempter, the original serpent from the Garden of Eden.
Five years later, John traveled to Hell to save the soul of Ray Palmer. Upon arriving, Satan offered John a chance to save Astra's instead. John chose to save her, but Astra, now a grown woman, revealed to John that she didn't want to leave Hell, preventing John from saving both her and Ray.
Powers and abilities
- Angelic physiology: Satan is a fallen archangel, he is of the oldest, if not the oldest archangel, thus, he has terrifying levels of supernatural powers that are only undoubtedly surpassed by God himself. As he is one of the first, if not the first angel in existence, he can be assumed to hold more power than the other archangels younger than him and certainly one of the most, if not the most powerful angel ever created.
- Immortality: Satan is beyond age and illness as well as most, if not all forms of physical harm. He is known to be as old as the universe itself if not older. Apart from God himself and the other archangels, it is currently unknown if there exist any method of harming or killing him at this point.
- Nigh-omnipotence: As one of the rulers of Hell and one of the first, if not the first angel created by God, Satan is unimaginably powerful, having supernatural powers on the level of near omnipotence, and is far more powerful than common angels and he may surpass even the other archangels to an unknown degree. However, while terrifyingly powerful and almost omnipotent, Satan's powers still has limits, as one of the few limitations of his power is that he cannot fight against God directly, as for all of Satan's immense power, he is still far surpassed only by God. Despite this, Satan is still one of the most powerful beings in the entire multiverse.
- Dark magic: Satan is known to be the mastermind of dark magic and he is connected to many dark magic rituals and possibly being the source of power used by dark sorcerers to perform their spells. He particularly governs over spells connected to the binding of demons and souls. Being the one who masterminded dark magic in the first place, the First of the Fallen's dark magic is far more powerful than any dark magic user, most likely the strongest, with the only known way to dispel his dark magic spells being to use God's magic power's unique but clearly extremely powerful connection to dark magic.
- Demonic creation: Satan is so powerful that he was able to create millions of demons.
- Demonic pact: Using his dark magic, Satan is able to bind one of his allied demons to the soul of a sorcerer using magical objects representing a demon to make a deal with him, granting the temporary powers at the expense of giving the demon a chance to possess them.
- Interdimensional travel: Satan is able to travel from Hell to Earth, in order to claim the souls of those who sold theirs to him.
- Mind control: The very voice of the First of the Fallen alone can imbue objects with immensely powerful dark magic, inducing whoever heard it to kill themselves, as when it was recorded on an acetate, said acetate gained the ability to compel anyone who hears it to commit suicide. He even seems to be able to enchant said object to compel whoever is close to it to play it. Even John Constantine, a highly skilled and knowledgeable sorcerer, had to use God's own magic power to dispose of it by drawing on the disk's own dark magic to send it back to Hell.
- Necromancy/Soul pact: Using his dark magic, Satan has the power to bind humans souls directly to Hell by making a deal with them to grant their wish in exchange for their soul.
- Teleportation: Satan has shown to be able to teleport within a location.
- Expert leader/Tactician: Satan has been the leader of Hell ever since its creation and managed to keep his underling demons more of less under control all this time. He also succeeded to lead a rebellion in Heaven (though a failed one) against God.
- Expert of deception: Satan, Belial, and Beelzebub were able to fool John Constantine with a false deal and trap him in Hell.
The Flash (CBS)
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
The Flash (The CW)
Behind the scenes
- In DC Comics continuities, particularly Vertigo Imprint, "the First of the Fallen" and Lucifer are treated as two separate characters. First of the Fallen, the original Satan, was a being created by God to act as His conscience. However, the First started to believe that God was insane, and as a result was banished from Heaven and cast down to Hell, becoming the first of the many other angels who would fall, creating a Triumvirate of Hell with the Second and the Fourth great fallen angels, assuming that they shared his own power. Lucifer Morningstar was the rebel archangel who lead the revolt of angels against God and was the fourth being to banished. Created by God to be the most powerful angel in the universe, Lucifer deposed First of the Fallen and took over as Samael/Satan, ruler of Hell. He later abdicated, giving the throne back to the First. Both characters shared the titles of "the Devil" and "Satan" at times.