- For the Earth-19 meta-human whom he was named after, see Shade (Earth-19).
- "Flash, just who I came to see!"
- —Shade to Barry Allen.[src]
An unnamed man, nicknamed Shade by H.R. Wells, is a meta-human who can vibrate his molecules at such a high frequency that he appears to be a shadow.
One night, the meta used his powers to kill a businessman, crushing the man's larynx and strangling him to death. The following night, he appeared at a showing of The Shining at Hofherr Park, proceeding to terrorize fleeing patrons. He was fought by The Flash, before The Flash's team used car headlights to weaken his shadowy form and cause him pain, giving The Flash a chance to place power-dampening cuffs on him, and arresting him.
Powers and abilities
- Bodily vibration: "Shade" can vibrate at a high frequency to create the illusion of being a shadow. He can also vary the size and shape of his shadow form, which allows him to travel along surfaces. His control over his frequency and slowing down his molecules allows him to retain his shadow form while still being tangible enough to physically interact with the world around him, especially to attack his opponents.
- Superhuman strength: In his shadow form, especially while enhancing his size, "Shade" is strong enough to effortlessly pick up humans by the throat and snap their necks, all with one hand. While rapidly emerging from the ground, he sent Flash flying several stories into the air with a swift uppercut and then again was able to knock him several feet with a single punch.
- Light exposure: If "Shade" is exposed to bright lights while in his shadow form, it will cause his molecules to slow down back to their original frequency and make him revert back to his regular form.
- Power-dampening technology: Like all meta-humans, S.T.A.R. Lab's power-dampening tech, including specialized handcuffs and cells, prevent "Shade" from using his powers.
The Chronicles of Cisco
- (indirectly mentioned)
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Shade is an immortal character with darkness manipulation powers who has been a hero and a villain, originally debuting as an antagonist to the Flash of the Golden Age and Silver Age.