- For his Earth One equivalent, see Shay Lamden.
- "Zoom wants you dead!"
- —King Shark before attempting to eat Barry[src]
He was once a marine biologist on Earth-2. On the day Harrison's Wells particle accelarator went off, Shay was affected by the dark matter and his cells mutated and transformed into a half man/ half shark creature. Zoom would later recruit King Shark to his group of evil Earth 2 meta-humans.
King Shark was brought to Earth One by Zoom to kill the Flash. Patty hears about this "man-shark" hybrid and obtains a shark tooth and wants Barry to test it for her. Barry then tests it to find only shark DNA, disproving what Patty was saying before. When the Flash watched Patty Spivot from a distance, King Shark suddenly grabbed him and told him that Zoom wanted him dead. Shortly after, Patty walked out and King Shark was shot by her several times, though the bullets ricocheted off him. As he approached Patty, he was shot by Harrison Wells with a blast of energy from a gun stolen from Mercury Labs.
This left him seemingly dead, but he was shown to actually have been unconscious, and was secretly taken into custody by A.R.G.U.S., who planned to use him as an asset and a weapon, potentially making him a member of the Suicide Squad. Fortunately, this plan died with Amanda Waller. Eventually, he feigned death to get his guards to deactivate the laser grid over his aquarium, allowing him to escape, devouring any A.R.G.U.S. agents unlucky enough to cross his path. He tracked the Flash to the West house. Though the Flash appeared and challenged King Shark, the man-shark knocked him down. However, he was forced to flee as A.R.G.U.S. arrived.
Later, Team Flash and A.R.G.U.S. plan a trap using a Flash dummy mimicking an electrical frequency that King Shark honed in on. King Shark took the bait but the tranquilizers hidden inside did not sedate him. He was eventually beaten by the Flash, as the superhero was able to lure him out to the ocean and defeat King Shark by electrifying the water, subduing him. A.R.G.U.S. took him into custody, but this time, Lyla Diggle, the new director, vowed to study King Shark and find out how he came to be, hoping to cure him.
Powers and abilities
- Shark physiology: Due to the particle accelerator explosion on Earth 2, Shay became a superhuman with physical characteristics and abilities of both humans and sharks.
- Superhuman strength: Shay has shown great physical strength when he effortlessly grabbed Barry and held him up with one hand, with Barry being helpless as Shay gripped his neck. He also showed greater levels of physical strength when he tore open the roof of the West house during another attempt to find The Flash.
- Superhuman durability: Shay can withstand very high levels of physical damage, as shown when he was shot multiple times by Patty, but sustained no damage, as the bullets ricocheted off of him. This was proven again when he was able to face off against A.R.G.U.S. agents and get shot at plenty of times and simply remark that guns and bullets can't hurt him. King Shark's durability is far beyond that of average humans as he was able to take multiple hits from Barry's lightning bolt attack.
- Superhuman speed: Shay is able to move at speeds far faster than humans. His superhumanly strong legs allow him to run very fast on land, although he is much faster in the water, as he was able to swim at speeds comparable to how fast the Flash is on land, though he is still not as fast as Barry.
- Superhuman senses: Shay is able to sense the bio-electricity in living creatures, as a normal shark does to allow it to track fish, which allowed him to track down the Flash's powerful electrical signature throughout an entire city.
- Accelerated healing factor: Shay's physiological cells are regenerative in nature, thus making him able to rapidly heal from extensive injuries.
- Stealth: Despite his size, Shay was able to sneak up on the Flash.
- Skilled Tactician: Shay is a skilled tactian as he was able to escape an A.R.G.U.S. holding tank and track down the Flash using his superhuman senses.
- Electricity: King Shark has has a huge weakness when it comes to electricity, especially in water, which is how Barry was able to beat him.
- 'Water-Reliant Physiology': King Shark's physiology requires him to regularly frequent large and deep water sources in order to reoxygenate his blood, restricting his ability to operate on dry land.
Behind the scenes
- King Shark was voiced by actor and screenwriter David Hayter, famous for providing the voices of the characters Solid Snake and Big Boss in the Metal Gear video game series.
- Before the tweet was removed, Hayter said that this was King Shark, likely the Earth-2 version. Grant Gustin later tweeted about the special effects work done on this creature using the hashtag "KingShark".
- While it was orginally stated by Kreisberg that King Shark having his own episode would be expensive and difficult to pull off, the Flash producers managed to pull through and do it anyway.
- ↑ ""