- "Look, we all want to believe in Oliver's crusade, but how are we supposed to follow him into a battle when his first instinct is to hide the truth from us? First, it's 'I used to be a serial killer'. What's tomorrow revelation going to be? I don't know how to operate with that in the back of my mind."
- —Evelyn Sharp's doubts after learning Oliver's secret
"So It Begins" is the sixth episode of the fifth season of , and the ninety-eighth episode overall. It aired on November 9, 2016.
|When Prometheus ups his killing spree, Oliver searches for connections between the victims. Felicity and Curtis discover the victims have a mysterious link to Oliver's past and this new secret could upend his new team. Meanwhile, Thea has a heart-to-heart with Lance, and Felicity considers telling Malone the truth about her work.|
Oliver, Diggle, and Felicity secretly track Prometheus, who starts slaughtering apparently arbitrary regular people with tossing stars. A news report on the killings causes strain in the city and enrages the volunteers, since they were not educated. Felicity takes one of the stars from Billy to look at it. An example between the casualties identifies with Oliver's rundown from when he originally began as the Hood. This further maddens the enlisted people, Evelyn a large portion of all, as they didn't think about Oliver's "slaughter list" from when he at first returned. Felicity utilizes the example to foresee future casualties and the group separates. Evelyn experiences Prometheus and connects with him, figuring out how to cut his arm before being overwhelmed. Oliver at that point shows up, yet Prometheus get away. In the interim, Thea finds that Quentin never quit drinking. Evelyn accommodates with Oliver, and Felicity discloses to Billy that she works with the Green Arrow, which interests him. She later reveals to Oliver that proof she has found proposes that Prometheus could be a SCPD official; Quentin is demonstrated waking from a liquor incited lay down with a cut over his arm and a tossing star in his ownership. In flashbacks, during a Bratva activity, Oliver is stole by Kovar's men and taken to him.
- Stephen Amell as Mayor Oliver Queen/Green Arrow
- David Ramsey as John Diggle/Spartan
- Willa Holland as Thea Queen
- Emily Bett Rickards as Felicity Smoak
- Echo Kellum as Curtis Holt/Mister Terrific
- Josh Segarra as District Attorney Adrian Chase/Prometheus
- Paul Blackthorne as Deputy Mayor Quentin Lance
- Rick Gonzalez as Rene Ramirez/Wild Dog
- Joe Dinicol as Rory Regan/Ragman
- Madison McLaughlin as Evelyn Sharp/Artemis
- Tyler Ritter as Detective Billy Malone
- Carly Pope as Susan Williams
- David Meunier as Ishmael Gregor
- David Nykl as Anatoly Knyazev
- Dolph Lundgren as General Konstantin Kovar
- Keri Adams as Bethany Snow
- Alison Araya as Officer Lopez
- Jonel Earl as Housewife
- Nicholas Holmes as Young Boy
- Tristan Jensen as Oliver's Security Detail
- Daniel Joseph as Armed Citizen #2
- Art Kitching as Volkov
- Arlina Rodriguez as Mother at Mall
- Chris Rosamond as Suited Bratva
- Andrew Tkach as Armed Citizen
- Seth Whittaker as Wheelman
Preparation ran from August 22 until August 30, 2016. Shooting ran from August 31 until September 12, 2016, with a break for Labor Day on September 5.
- When Prometheus leaves the message "so it begins" for the Green Arrow, Felicity suggests that he is a Babylon 5 fan, referencing a phrase frequently said by Kosh.
- Anatoly Knyazev shows himself to be another one of Oliver's mentors in different skills, teaching him to make bombs and work with electronics.
- This episode marks the first major appearance of The List since Season 1.
- In a flashback where Anatoly is teaching Oliver how to build a bomb, Oliver's bomb blows up, and Anatoly chuckles, stating that on his first attempt, he almost blew off his fingers. In the comics, Anatoly, known as KGBeast, has a mechanical hand replacing one that he cut off during an early battle with Batman.
- Oliver is shown firing arrows to the back wall, where there are 10 tennis balls already skewered into it. Oliver clearly fires another two into the wall, yet at the end of the scene when the wall is shown, there are still only 10 tennis balls.
|"" • "" • "" • "" • "" • " " • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • ""|