- "Well, I've been learning different techniques involved in running, and I was thinking there's just as much science involved in speed as anything physical or technical."
- —Barry Allen to Eobard Thawne[src]
- "I'm gonna crack the code. Figure out how to improve my speed. I'm gonna train harder, get stronger, and run faster than anyone's ever run before. And then I'm gonna stop Zoom."
- —Barry Allen[src]
Still coming up too short to even hope to match Zoom's speed, out of desperation, Barry put together a speed equation that when applied to him would help him outmatch the speedster's velocity. Barry decided to go back in time to learn the answer from the only man to ever figure it, his old mentor, Eobard Thawne.
- "What on earth inspired you to adopt such a-- what should we call this-- unorthodox approach?"
- —Eobard Thawne to Barry Allen[src]
It wasn't really delved into on how one would go about applying it to increase their speed. Eobard called it an "unorthodox approach." 
Behind the scenes
- In DC comics, Jesse Quick and her father, Johnny Quick, gained super speed from the visualization of the speed-formula, which is 3X2(9YZ)4A. This same equation later appeared on a board in the Speed lab in "".