The Anansi Totem is a mystical object that allows the user to tap in to the life force of animals, essentially allowing them to harness their abilities. It is currently owned by Mari McCabe. It was said to have been created by the trickster god Anansi for the warrior Tantu. It is one of five other mystical Zambesi totems presented to the great tribes.
After the people of Zambesi faced numerous attacks from their neighbours and nature, they prayed for protection. Their prayers were answered as the five great tribes were each presented a mystical totem harnessing a power of each elemental forces. A tribe was presented the Anansi Totem, the totem with the power of spirit. It harnesses the ashe, or lifeforce of the animal kingdom.
After being wielded by her grandmother and mother, the totem was passed down to Amaya Jiwe some time in the 1930s. In the 1940s, Amaya was recruited by Hourman into the Justice Society of America, and used the totem's powers to oppose the Nazis. After Hourman was murdered by Eobard Thawne, she joined the Legends to track down his killer, travelling through time.
During the twentieth century all five totems were presumed lost and forgotten, thanks to colonialism and war. But the Anansi Totem was hidden and, in the early 21st century, Kuasa was chosen as its bearer at the age of four. However, a local warlord raided the village, forcing the few occupants to flee. Kuasa's mother escaped with Kuasa's sister Mari and the totem, ending up in America.
Many years later, Kuasa located Mari and the totem, which she believed was rightfully hers. Mari, with the help of Dr. Macalester, learned to use its powers to defend herself, though her use of superpowers attracted the notice of The Flash and The Arrow.
Kuasa managed to ambush Mari, who had bonded with the totem. Kuasa severed Mari's connection to the totem by letting a spider bite her while she wore it, the spider representing Anansi in her true form. Kuasa then took the totem for herself, but Mari - after communing with animal spirits who told her Kuasa was not the right person to wield it - used the same ritual to reclaim it and return to America.
Powers and abilities
- Animal Spirit Empowerment: The Totem allows the user to tap into most-if-not-all animals and get empowered by their spirit, gaining unique abilities that relate to the animal spirit that's being used.
- Superhuman speed: Through the spirit of the cheetah, she becomes incredibly fast, so fast that even the Flash (moving at Mach 1) had a hard time catching her.
- Superhuman strength: Through the spirit of the elephant, gorilla, lion, rhinoceros or bull. She becomes incredibly strong. She was able to tip over whole water towers and crumble one of The Arrow's arrows in her hand. The strength she demonstrated proved great enough to challenge Damien Darhk's telekinetic power, as he struggled considerably to just barely repel her.
- Superhuman agility: Through the spirit of the tiger, she becomes incredibly agile, able to leap great distances, and preform incredible acrobatic feats.
- Camouflage: Through the spirit of the chameleon, she becomes essentially invisible, being able to blend herself in with her surroundings.
- Wall climbing: Mari can gain the wall crawling abilities of a spider, defying gravity.
- Flight: Mari can access the spirit of the eagle, gaining the ability to fly. Originally she was fearful to use this new ability due to a fear of heights, but she later overcame the fear after falling from a building and flying.
- Superhuman smelling: Through the spirit of the wolf, Mari can lock onto a target's scent, by first getting a sample of it. From this, she can determine if the target is within a wide area and likewise track the target down.
- Superhuman hearing: Through the spirit of the owl, Mari has very acute ears, able to hear quiet conversations from great distances.
- Underwater breathing: Through the spirit of the dolphin, Mari is able to breath underwater.
- Superhuman endurance: Through the spirit of the armadillo, Mari can withstand impacts and other injuries.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
- Whenever a user taps into the totem's power, the animal chosen briefly appears as an incorporeal or astral projection; it is purple for Mari and yellow for Kuasa.
- Anansi is a West African and Caribbean trickster/spider god, a central figure in many a mythological tale.