A sword is a bladed weapon used in swordsmanship. The sword is a flexible melee weapon primarily for cutting or thrusting. The precise definition of the term varies with the historical epoch or the geographical region under consideration. A sword in the most narrow sense consists of a straight blade with two edges and a hilt. However, in nearly every case, the term may also be used to refer to weapons with a single edge (backsword). Swords are typically stored in scabbards, although they can also be held in racks.
Today, swords are used primarily for the sport of martial arts or fencing. Though they are still occasionally used as weapons of war, the development of gunpowder and muskets, and the growing size of armies, led to their replacement in warfare several centuries ago in much of the world. Slade Wilson as Deathstroke, Tatsu Yamashiro, and Ra's al Ghul, all prefer to use this traditional weapon.
Known types of swords
- Curved sword: A Curved sword is a curved blade.
- Chokuto: A Chokuto is a straight, single-edged Japanese sword.
- Katana: A Katana is a japanese sword, that is characterized by its distinctive appearance; a curved, single-edged blade with a circular or squared guard and long grip to accommodate two hands.
- Shinai: A Shinai is a bamboo japanese sword used for practice and competition in "kendo".
- Bokken: A Bokken is a Japanese wooden sword used for training. It is usually the size and shape of a "katana", but is sometimes shaped like other swords; such as the "wakizashi" and "tantō".
- Jian: A Jian is a chinese double-edged straight sword, there are also larger two-handed versions used for training by many styles of martial arts.
- Double edged sword: A Double edged sword is a blade shape and hilt configuration knightly sword.
- Chinese dao: A Chinese dao is a single-edged chinese sword primarily used for slashing and chopping.
- Straight kris: A Straight kris is an asian straight or wavy blade, most kris have a wavy blade which increase the severity of wounds inflicted upon a victim; during kris stabbing, the wavy blade severs more blood vessels, creating a wider wound which causes the victim to easily bleed to death.
- Saber: A type of sword with a curved blade.
- Sword of Juru: A type of sword created to be used by Reign on the terraforming of Earth into New Krypton.