"The Book of Ruin: Chapter One" is the fifth episode of the fourth season of , and the fiftieth episode overall. It aired on March 8, 2021.
|Gambi supports Black Lightning as he departs on a special mission. Meanwhile, Grace tries to persuade Anissa to let her guard down.|
Black Lightning's team hurries to the Sanctum; Jefferson Pierce knows that his daughter is still alive because he feels it. They brainstorm ideas on how to retrieve Jennifer Pierce from the atmosphere. Peter Gambi says that S.T.A.R. Labs in Central City has a hadron particle condenser that can revive Jennifer from her energy; Jefferson calls a friend who quickly delivers the item. Jefferson dons the suit for the first time in over a year and goes into the ionosphere, absorbs his daughter's scattered energy with great difficulty, and places it in the condenser. Now, they must wait for the energy to be turned into matter, into her DNA, and pray that Jennifer is alive when the process is complete.
Chief Ana Lopez has a meeting with Detective Hassan Shakur and orders him against his will to lead a task force to apprehend The 100 for the death of Mayor Billy Black. She also declares that Lightning is public enemy one for the death of a gang member.
As the team waits, blame sets in; Baron feels that the explosion was his fault as Jefferson and Lynn Stewart argue about their knowledge of Jennifer's addiction to the ionosphere. To let off some steam, Black Lightning attacks The 100. Lala reveals that he did not kill the mayor or attempt an assassination of him; he wanted Tobias. Black lightning believes him and allows him to escape.
The team gathers when the machine finishes its work. Jennifer is alive, but she looks like a totally different person.
- Cress Williams as Jefferson Pierce/Black Lightning
- China Anne McClain (credit only)
- Nafessa Williams as Anissa Pierce/Blackbird
- Christine Adams as Dr. Lynn Stewart
- Marvin "Krondon" Jones III as Tobias Whale
- Jordan Calloway (credit only)
- Chantal Thuy as Grace Choi
- James Remar as Peter Gambi
- Melissa De Sousa as Chief Ana Lopez
- Wallace Smith as Detective Hassan Shakur
- Helen Joo Lee as Val Seong
- Laura Kariuki as JJ
- Will Catlett as Latavious "Lala" Johnson
- Rafael Castillo as Devonte Jones
- Christopher A'mmanuel as Baron/TC
- Matt Roszak as Red
- Teesha Renee as Destiny
- This is the first episode of the series to not feature China Anne McClain (Jennifer Pierce) after signing on as a series regular.
- This leaves only three cast members to appear in every episode: Cress Williams (Jefferson Pierce), Christine Adams (Lynn Stewart), and Nafessa Williams (Anissa Pierce).
- There was, however, archive footage featuring China Anne McClain and the character of Jennifer still appeared, only portrayed by Laura Kariuki. However, this version was revealed to be an impostor, with McClain appearing in the finale.
- The in-episode title sequence subtitles this episode as "Picking Up the Pieces", but the official title to the episode does not contain the subtitle.
- The scene where Devonte Jones says that he cannot breathe, causing Detective Hassan Shakur to tell him to "stop disrespecting the dead", was inspired by the real-life incident of the death of George Floyd.
- The events of Season 4 (Black Lightning) are one year ahead of the first four episodes of Season 7 (The Flash) in the history of Earth-Prime.
|"" • "" • "" • "" • " " • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • ""|