- —Tommy Elliot[src]
Thomas "Tommy" Elliot, nicknamed Hush by Vesper Fairchild, is the son of a late unnamed man and a late unnamed woman, a former real estate mogul, the former CEO of Elliot Estates, and the former childhood best friend of Bruce Wayne. He grew up to become one of Batman's enemies due to blaming the Dark Knight for ruining his life by saving his mother, thus seeking to take revenge on the vigilante despite splitting him from his Bruce Wayne persona, whom Tommy obsessively admires. After getting his face removed by Alice in order to stage his suicide and avoid death row, Tommy started to work alongside her to get a new face, which turned out to be an exact replica of that of Bruce Wayne, allowing him to pose as the latter.
Tommy Elliot was born in Gotham City into a rich family. He has a strained relationship with his mother, deeming her a "repulsive gold-digging bitch" who only married his father for his money. During Tommy's childhood, he became best friends with Bruce Wayne.
In 2005, Tommy's parents were involved in a car accident - which was implied to have been staged by himself - in which his father was killed. However, Tommy's mother was saved by Batman and he subsequently found himself being a nursemaid to the parent he despised for the next 13 years. As a result, Tommy grew to hate Batman for "anchoring" him to his mother.
Sometime after this, Tommy founded his own real estate company, Elliot Estates. Over the years, he also became acquainted with his best friend's younger cousin, Kate Kane, but they never got along at all.
In 2015, Tommy became a major client of Crows Security and received a personal detail led by Miguel Robles. Around this time, having become obsessed with Lucius Fox's journals about Wayne Tech, he bribed Robles to rough up Lucius for one of those journals. However, the attempted extortion went wrong, leading to Lucius' death and Robles covering it up by framing Reggie Harris.
Three years later in 2018, Tommy's mother finally died and he claimed his inheritance. Tommy bought a nightclub, Lookout, and entrusted it to Johnny Sabatino, who acted as his money launderer. Plotting his revenge against Batman, Tommy paid someone to "riddle" him the answer to the Dark Knight's secret identity and discovered it was his former best friend Bruce, who had since went missing.
Planning to kill Batman
Sometime later, after the people believed Batman returned to Gotham, Tommy saw it as an opportunity to get his revenge and sent someone to steal the Rail gun, the only weapon that can penetrate the Batsuit, from Wayne Enterprises Research & Development.
Later, Tommy went to Bruce's office inside Wayne Tower and proceeded to tell Kate Kane that he has finally succeeded in making more money than Bruce, even buying a building five stories taller than Wayne Tower and planning to hold a party to celebrate. Tommy explained he was there to invite Bruce, to which Kate informed him that her cousin had yet to return. Then, they talked about the Dark Knight's return with Tommy pointing out that she should be angry with him due to Batman allowing her mother and sister to die. Kate replied that she had years to process and noted that Batman saved Tommy's mother, to which the latter asked her to give his invitation to Bruce insisting he was back. Kate insisted that he wasn't, but agreed to leave the invitation to Bruce's desk.
After discovering Tommy was behind the robbery at Wayne R&D and knew Batman's identity, Kate reached for him at his party while he was looking down from a large window at Wayne Tower reflecting on how even though it took him half his life, he was finally able to look down on Bruce. Kate asked why he thought Bruce was there, prompting Tommy to reply that they were "cosmic besties". Kate casually mentioned that a thief stole the rail gun and there's a GPS hidden in the butt so that Wayne Security would soon track down and capture the thief.
Tommy was subsequently busted by Kate while inspecting the stolen gun; she told him to give it back and, after he refused, asked how he knew that Bruce was Batman. Tommy explained that Bruce saved his mother so he didn't get his inheritance earlier and was forced to bear her, which was the reason he wanted to kill Batman but not Bruce since it was his vigilante persona who ruined his life. Tommy pointed a gun at Kate and used his phone to shut down the power throughout the building, trapping people in three elevators, telling her that if Batman does not meet with him on the roof he will drop the elevators. He made fall one of them, with the catering staff in it, to demonstrate he was talking seriously.After he went on the roof, Tommy was approached by Batwoman, thus he realized Batman hasn't returned as he believed. Enraged, he demands Batman and calls her his side piece, they fought enough time for Batwoman to charge the neutralizer on her gauntlet and shuts-down the rail gun. However, Tommy grabbed his remote and set off a charge causing the remaining elevator to fall and forcing Batwoman to use the two-way grappling gun to catch it. She then used a grappling hook to pull herself up, holding for her life. Tommy took advantage of it by stepping on her hands, cracking her bones in an attempt to finally kill her, but was ultimately knocked out by Alice from behind. After his arrest, Tommy was sent to Arkham Asylum for his crimes.
During the Anti-Monitor Crisis, Tommy, as well as everyone in the multiverse except for the seven Paragons, was killed in an antimatter wave by the Anti-Monitor on December 10, 2019, only to be restored a month later, after the Paragons and the Spectre created a new universe.
Life in Arkham
In 2020, while still locked up in Arkham, Tommy started to become insanely obsessed with Bruce, to the point of speaking only about him. One day he interrupted a psychoanalytic session that Dr. M. Butler was having with his patients, insulting the other inmates, and yelling about deserving more recognition since he claimed to have taught Bruce everything he knew. Butler tried to calm him and have him change the topic but failed and ordered Tommy to be dragged away.
Later, while they walk by each other in the corridor, Alice called Tommy a Bruce Wayne wannabe and, after he dared her to repeat it, she taunted him saying he will never be Bruce Wayne, ultimately leading an enraged Tommy to stab her. While Alice hid his weapon and burst out laughing asking for a doctor, Tommy was dragged away and sent in solitary.
Staging his own deathA few days later, Kate spoke to Tommy in prison, letting him know that she knew he killed Lucius for his journal. Not wanting to answer her questions, Tommy played insanity to get himself escorted out by security. Upon reaching his cell, he was surprised to see Alice inside it, then "Dr. Butler" arrived, informing him that his insanity plea was denied and Crows would arrive the following day to take him to trial, where he would most likely be executed. Alice then offered to help him escape Arkham and to give him a new face if he told her what was in the journal that Kate mentioned, with Dr. Butler revealing himself to be Mouse for good measure. Tommy relented and explained that the journal allegedly had a way to activate a fail-safe in the Batsuit that would kill the wearer. He also revealed to them that Bruce Wayne is Batman. Tommy then followed Mouse and Alice's escape plan and had his face removed and graphed onto a body double whom they pose in a suicide. Later on, Alice bandaged Tommy's head, telling him that he won't get a new face until they get the journal. Tommy calls Johnny Sabatino about it; however, after a run-in with Batwoman, Johnny decided to sell it instead of giving it back to Tommy. Alice then summoned Magpie, giving her a tracker, agreeing to remove it once they got the book. After Magpie failed her mission, Tommy was left without a new face, also, he did not reveal to Alice and Mouse that the entire journal was written in code, which enraged both of them after they find out about it.
Due to Alice taking "hostage" his new face, Tommy was forced to work with her in order to translate it. Alice planned to kidnap Luke Fox to translate Lucius Fox's journal, while he and Mouse believed that a linguist was better suited to do the job and it would have less chances to attract Batwoman's attention. Following his and Mouse's plan, he walked into Gotham University library with a pair of handguns, killed some patrons that were about to scream upon seeing him, and reached for his target, Professor John Carr, to which he pointed a gun telling him to "hush"; thus he got said nickname by Vesper Fairchild.
He brought the man to Arkham, where Alice, spiteful and still convinced they should kidnap Luke, only gave the professor ninety minutes to do the work, all the while electrocuting him for getting "inspiration", until Carr finally died; then she was talked into giving Tommy's plan two more chances.
Elliot then got rid of Carr's body in a dumpster and kidnapped an N.S.A. agent named Tony Kim from the agency's field office at Tricorner. Kim failed the ninety minutes test as well, prompting Tommy to tell Alice that they needed more time in order to do it; however, Alice refused to listen to him and suggested to kidnap Parker Torres for the third and final attempt before her idea would be implemented, since due to his action all of Gotham's cryptography experts were placed under surveillance by the Crows.
As suggested, Tommy went to Gotham Prep and abducted Torres; however while he was taking her to Arkham through Williams Viaduct, he was intercepted by Batwoman and, after a brief fight, forced to escape and went back to Arkham.
Furious and conscious that three abductions were making him too popular, he finally accepted to use Alice's plan and, after Mouse discovered Luke's location by calling him on the phone and imitating Kate's voice, he went to Wilson Plaza and kidnapped both him as well as Julia Pennyworth, who was with him, planning to use her as the leverage.
After Elliot, Alice, and Mouse tortured the girl repeatedly, Luke accepted to attempt translating the journal and he agreed in letting him some space to concentrate on it.
Then, when Batwoman infiltrated in Arkham offering Alice to giving her a pair of eyeglasses that could translate the journal in exchange of Luke and Julia's life, despite Luke telling the vigilante not to do it since the journal actually contain the secret to kill her, Tommy watches as Alice accepted the trade, holding Luke and Julia at gunpoint until the exchange was done, then he was ordered to release the prisoners.
Later, after the Crows and GCPD went to Arkham, he told Alice that their cover has been exposed, prompting her to set Arkham on fire and create a mass prison break in order to cover their own escape. Then, having discovered it could be used to pierce through the Batsuit, she asked Tommy where to find Green Kryptonite.
Becoming Bruce Wayne
Hush became increasingly frustrated that he was stuck in the sewers with Mouse and Alice and threatened to use his guns on Alice unless she gave him a new face. As Mouse talked to him about how flawed his threat was, Alice decided that she would honor her promise. Eventually, Alice gave Elliot a new face, albeit while telling him how undeserving he was of the new appearance. She then held up a magazine with Bruce Wayne on the cover; Elliot marveled that he now appeared as Bruce in a mirror shard, and Alice instructed him to trick Kate to get the Kryptonite with his new face.
- "Do you know what it's like to have the villain of your story be the hero of your city? He is a monster, who left me anchored to a repulsive, gold-digging bitch, and now he's gonna die."
- —Tommy Elliot to Kate Kane[src]
As shown by the contemptuous opinions Jacob Kane, Reagan, Kate Kane, and Mary Hamilton respectively held Tommy in, he is extremely arrogant and snobby, to the point that many individuals preferred Bruce Wayne over him. In fact, Tommy was dubbed with rather very demeaning nomenclature by several people, with "Ass-hat" and "Waste" to name a few, and those are just among the politest. Tommy himself has demonstrated to care very little about others, often belittling and treating them poorly, including his family, employees, and fellow inmates at Arkham.
Tommy was also described as vilely misogynist, extremely vainglorious, and very narcissistic, as demonstrated by having a massive nude painting of himself as well as describing his original appearance as that of a "lady-killer." However, Alice described Tommy as "one of the most loathsome men in Gotham" deeming him as vain, uncouth, humorless, and dull, stating that only a drunk woman could find him charming.
Tommy is mentally unstable to the point of lacking any form of logic; he holds a grudge against Bruce for saving his mother's life, which prevented him from getting his inheritance, also stating that Batman ruined his life. Despite this however, Tommy later gained an obsessive admiration for Bruce, much to the chagrin of Bruce's cousin, Beth, as he keeps claiming to be Bruce's best friend despite having stolen a high-tech gun from him and, unknowingly to Beth, tried to kill him with it. Tommy is also quite prone to anger and fits of rage whenever the situation went differently than he planned, becoming irrational, brash, hyper, and a little spastic.
At Tommy's party, Kate asks Reagan to read him for her and the blonde bartender described Tommy by saying he's "danger, hazardous waste. Thinks he's doing us all a favor when he really just helps fund the laws that are separating our city."
- High-level intellect/Great business acumen/Expert tactician/Leader: Tommy is a highly intelligent individual and an extremely skilled tactician, able to orchestrate the robbery of a railgun to penetrate the Batsuit at Wayne Enterprises Research & Development without leaving a single trace to the police. He is also an exceptional businessman and leader, as he was successfully running and oversaw Elliot Estates, making it a multi-billion dollar corporation, eventually managing to earn a higher net worth than Bruce Wayne by late 2018, albeit Bruce was absent from Gotham City for the past three years. In addition, he correctly believed that Kate Kane knew about Batman's real identity just like he does.
- Expert of deception/Manipulator: Tommy is very skilled at deception, he managed to pass himself as crazy with ease and tricked Alice and Mouse into helping him escape Arkham without revealing that Lucius' journal was written in code.
- Explosives expert: Tommy is knowledgeable in setting up remotely-triggered bombs, rigging some to detonate at the signal coming from his personal smartphone.
- Expert hand-to-hand combatant/Martial artist: Tommy is a very capable hand-to-hand combatant and martial artist. He is seen swift and strong enough to intercept or even distance himself from Kate when the latter attempted to forcibly take the rail gun from him twice; the first, he grabbed hold of her wrist and the second, Tommy drew a gun at her. Both times succeeding to keep Kate at bay. In a fight against Kate in her Batwoman suit, he landed a few decent hits that made her momentarily double over, though briefly, even with her guard up.
- Expert marksman: Tommy is highly trained in using firearms, capable of shooting with the rail gun that can pierce the Batsuit. He also dual-wields a pair of .45s as "Hush," and demonstrated precise shooting when he kidnapped John Carr from Gotham University's library.
- Skilled knife wielder: Tommy has some skill at using knives as he managed to stab and seriously injure Alice while in Arkham.
- Indomitable will/High tolerance for pain: Tommy is a driven and determined individual, displaying a remarkable resilience to pain as he stood with very little discomfort at the removal of his face or even after getting a Batarang into his leg.
- Stealth: Tommy is skilled in stealth, he was able to quietly take out people in the Gotham University library and sneak up on his kidnapping victims. He also managed to get the drop on Luke Fox and Julia Pennyworth.
- Trenchcoat: Tommy wears a trenchcoat with a padded collar while operating as Hush.
- Silenced twin M1911 45. handguns: Tommy uses two M1911 45. handguns with silencers attached as his main weapons of choice when operating as Hush.
- Knife: Tommy pulled a knife during a brief confrontation with Mouse.
- Bandages: Tommy wears facial bandages to cover up his face which was been cut off before his surgery from Alice.
- Handgun: Tommy used a handgun when confronted by Kate Kane.
- Rail gun: Tommy stole the rail gun from Wayne Enterprises Research & Development in order to use it to kill Batman. After he was arrested the weapon was taken back by Wayne Security.
- Explosives: Tommy planted explosives on elevators for his plan to lure out and kill Batman, linking its detonation to its personal smartphone's signal.
- Shiv: Tommy kept a homemade knife hidden in his shoe while in Arkham but lost it after using it to stab Alice and being sent in solitary.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Tommy Elliot is Bruce Wayne's former childhood best friend and a famous neurosurgeon who masquerades as the villain "Hush". He is a master manipulator and prominent enemy of Batman who often uses other villains in his schemes but refuses to let anyone but himself kill Batman. Tommy uses his skills to make his face identical to Bruce's, although he still uses bandages to hide his face when he is Hush.
- Tommy quoting Aristotle's maxim about friendship in "" is a reference to the comics, where Hush has a penchant for quoting the philosopher.
- Tommy refers to Kate Kane as "Candy," much to her annoyance. In the DC comics, that was her cadet nickname while at West Point.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 ""
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 ""
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 ""
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 4.8 ""
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 ""
- ↑ ""
- ↑ ""
- ↑ Batwoman boss breaks down SPOILER's new identity, teases season 2's love triangles