- For other uses of Trickster, see Trickster (disambiguation)
- "I've had 20 years to come up with the perfect trick. It's going to be my masterpiece. My Mona Lisa. My Breaking Bad season five."
- —The Trickster
"Tricksters" is the seventeenth episode of the first season of , and the seventeenth episode overall. It aired on March 31, 2015.
|A copycat killer who goes by the name “The Trickster” starts setting off bombs in Central City. In order to stop the villain, Barry and Joe meet with the original Trickster, a criminal mastermind named James Jesse, who has been imprisoned for 20 years. Things quickly go from bad to worse when the Tricksters unite and take Henry Allen prisoner. Meanwhile, Iris asks Eddie for help with a case, and flashbacks show how Harrison Wells came up with the idea for the particle accelerator.|
- Grant Gustin as Barry Allen/The Flash
- Candice Patton as Iris West
- Danielle Panabaker as Dr. Caitlin Snow
- Rick Cosnett as Detective Eddie Thawne
- Carlos Valdes as Cisco Ramon
- Tom Cavanagh as Dr. Harrison Wells and Professor Eobard Thawne
- Jesse L. Martin as Detective Joe West
Special guest star
- Matt Letscher as Professor Eobard Thawne/Reverse-Flash
- Bre Blair as Tess Morgan
- Vito D'Ambrosio as Anthony Bellows
- Devon Graye as Axel Walker/The Trickster
- Michelle Harrison as Nora Allen
- Patrick Sabongui as Captain David Singh
- John Wesley Shipp as Dr. Henry Allen
- Chris Cound as Father
- Arlo Hajdu as Henry
- Anthony Harrison as Warden Wolfe
- Monice Peter as Police Officer #1
- Anthony Shim as Police Officer #2
Barry Allen and Joe West see parachute bombs in gift boxes landing towards a playground. This reminds Joe of a criminal named James Jesse who also committed a series of terrorist attacks under the name “The Trickster” 20 years ago and has been imprisoned since. In order to stop the copycat villain, Barry and Joe meet with the original Trickster, who appears enraged that "a rank amateur, a mere pretender" is stealing his legacy. However, the new Trickster Axel Walker sets a diversion for the Flash, where he breaks James Jesse out of prison and take Barry's father Henry Allen prisoner.
In the Trickster's lair, James says he had years to come up with "the perfect trick", claiming it was a masterpiece, his "Breaking Bad Season 5". James also reveals to Axel that he is his father. Jesse and Walker attempt to extort patrons of fundraiser by poisoning them and ransoming the antidote. When the Flash arrives, Jesse and Walker fit him with a bomb that will detonate if he stops moving. Harrison Wells coaches Barry on how to vibrate his molecules so that he can phase through objects, which removes the bomb. Afterward, Barry provides an antidote to all the patrons before capturing Jesse and Walker. The Flash reveals his identity to Eddie and convinces him to keep Iris from investigating Mason's disappearance. Barry tells Eddie and Joe that he knows "Wells" is the Reverse-Flash.
In flashbacks, 15 years ago, Harrison Wells and his wife, Tess Morgan, drive home. The car hits a speed trap and flies end over end, killing Tess. Wells tries to get a man who leans down to help, but he says the girl has been dead for centuries before introducing himself as Eobard Thawne. He connects a tube between himself and Wells, killing Wells and giving Thawne his appearance and identity so he can develop the particle accelerator sooner. Thawne hides the body and pretends to be Wells when the police arrive.
Preparation began January 9, 2015 and ran until January 19, 2015. Shooting began January 20, 2015 and ran until January 30, 2015.
- Tom Cavanagh (Harrison Wells) and Matt Letscher (Eobard Thawne) previously starred together, as father and son, in the 2008 TV series Eli Stone.
- There are a few scenes that that are similar or bear some resemblance to scenes from the TV show Smallville.
- Barry Allen/The Flash saves a boy named Henry from one of Axel Walker/The Trickster's parachute bombs landing towards a playground. The Smallville episode "Commencement" had Clark Kent use his superspeed to save a boy named Henry from a fall meteor when a meteor shower hits the titular town. In the case of the former, Flash says "Henry? Nice name." This is a reference to Henry Allen, Barry's father.
- The situation when Eobard Thawne asks Gideon for help after getting his powers depleted. The Smallville episode "Booster" featured another DC character from the future, Booster Gold, also asking an artificial intelligence (Skeets) for help.
- The episode contain multiple references to the 1990 TV series , specifically the episodes "" and "".
- Shirley Walker's themes used for the Flash episodes featuring the Trickster can be heard.
- Several cast members from the 1990 series appear in the episode.
- Mark Hamill reprises his role as James Jesse/The Trickster, having previously portrayed the character, with pictures in the police reports about Jesse's trial and conviction taken from Hamill's appearance in the 1990 series. Hamill also voiced him in the "Flash and Substance" episode of Justice League Unlimited.
- John Wesley Shipp joined the 2014 series in a recurring role as Barry's father, Henry Allen. Shipp previously portrayed Barry Allen/The Flash opposite Hamill's Trickster. This episode is the first onscreen reunion between the two actors, albeit different characters.
- Vito D'Ambrosio reprises his role as Anthony Bellows. While the original character was a uniformed Central City police officer in the 1990 series, he is the Mayor of Central City in the 2014 series.
- The original Trickster's attacks were 20 years ago. From the date of airing, the day "The Trial of the Trickster" aired was May 18, 1991, which is almost 23 years before this episode premiered.
- When Joe West tells Team Flash about the Trickster, he describes James Jesse as "like Jesse James, only more twisted." In the 1990 series, P.I. Megan Lockhart describes Jesse as "...like Jesse James, only backwards and twisted."
- When Barry and Joe follow a lead to James Jesse's old Trickster hideout, old costumes, props and set designs from the 1990 series can be seen.
- The trench coat Henry Allen wears, at the end of the episode before Joe takes him back to Iron Heights Prison, is the same jacket John Wesley Shipp wore several times as Barry in the 1990s series.
- The Trickster's role in the episode was compared to Hannibal Lecter and the Joker. The latter is taken because Mark Hamill also voiced the Joker in various animated movies, television, and video games, starting with Batman: The Animated Series.
- When listing two locations of two bombs, Axel says that they are between 52nd Street and Avenue B. This is a reference to:
- James Jesse references multiple famous films and TV shows:
- While describing his latest trick, he compares it to the Mona Lisa and the fifth season of Breaking Bad.
- The scene where James Jesse told Axel, "I am your father" is taken from Mark Hamill's most famous role as Luke Skywalker; in Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, Darth Vader revealed he is Luke's father.
- When the Flash has a bomb placed on his wrist, James Jesse compares his predicament to the 1994 film Speed, and namedrops Keanu Reeves.
- Axel and James attaching a bomb to Flash's wrist and warning it will explode if he stops running is similar to the 2012 animated film Justice League: Doom where Mirror Master did the same thing under the same threat. Similar to how Barry gets rid of it in the episode by vibrating through a truck, in the film he gets rid of the explosive by vibrating through an iceberg.
- Harrison Wells talks to Barry about learning to phase by immersing him and calming him down. Barry uses this same technique in "", even having a flashback to that moment.
- The final scene of "" takes place during and after the scene in this episode where Eobard kills Wells and takes on his appearance. In the later episode, Wells is resurrected through particles left behind by the other Wells after Harrison Nash Wells's sacrifice to power up the Artificial Speed Force, shortly after being buried by Eobard.
|"" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • " " • "" • "" • "" • "" • "" • ""|