- 1 Biography
- 2 Powers and abilities
- 3 Appearances
- 4 Behind the scenes
- 5 References
The Hellgrammite was arrested by Krypton's military guild. He was brought before Judicator Alura Zor-El and sentenced to Fort Rozz for life. In 2003 after Fort Rozz crashed on Earth, the Hellgrammite escaped, along many of his other fellow convicts.
The Hellgrammite stole chemical compounds from six different chemical plants across the United States within a period of a year.
In late 2015, the Hellgrammite raided Plastino Chemicals. When a security guard caught him in the act, the Hellgrammite chased down and stabbed the man in the chest with a stinger, but was shot in the process.
At a warehouse, the Hellgrammite was later confronted by two Kryptonian soldiers sent by General Astra. Though the Hellgrammite attempted to explain to the two that he didn't want any trouble and he had to eat, Commander Gor told him that if he didn't want any trouble he would have stayed hidden, and reminded the Hellgrammite that General Astra had promised to take care of all of his needs on Earth in exchange for his loyalty. He was soon confronted by Astra herself, who told him that they were stronger together and wanted his help to capture her niece, Supergirl, by acting as a bait. When the Hellgrammite attempted to decline as he had seen what happened to people who took on those with the symbol "S", Astra made it clear that it was a command and not an invitation.
The Hellgrammite later arrived at a trap set for him by the D.E.O., jumping onto a vehicle with DDT. After being shot at by Hank Henshaw and Alex Danvers, the Hellgrammite jumped onto their vehicle, shot stingers into several of the agents and abducted Alex, whom he brought to Astra. He later attacked Alex, who was attempting to contact the DEO through her radio, throwing her into a nearby chain-link fence. He was later defeated by Alex after she forced the stinger he had protruded from his hand into his heart. The Hellgrammite survived the injury, though, and was incarcerated at the D.E.O. desert facility.
Working for the Children of Liberty
Over three years later, the Hellgrammite and Kopy were taken from their cells by Agent Taylor and handed over to the Children of Liberty. Hellgrammite's mind was controlled by Agent Liberty and forced to invade and cause panic in a National City park. After the mind control passed, he killed Mercy and Otis Graves. Later, he is incarcerated again.
During the Anti-Monitor Crisis, the Hellgramite as well as everyone in the multiverse except for the seven Paragons, was killed in an antimatter wave by the Anti-Monitor on December 10, 2019, only to be restored a month later, after the Paragons and the Spectre created a new universe.
Powers and abilities
- Hellgrammite physiology: As a Hellgramite, he has special abilities.
- Super strength: Due to his physiology, the Hellgrammite was much stronger than a normal human. He was shown to be strong enough to pluck Alex Danvers from a moving vehicle and carry her off.
- Super leaping: The Hellgrammite was able to jump extreme distances, as shown when attacking the D.E.O. vehicles.
- Shapeshifting: The Hellgrammite can camouflage himself into any shape desired.
- Stingers: The Hellgrammite could eject stingers from his body with deadly toxins to kill/incapacitate his victims.
- Super smell: Due to the Hellgramite's physiology, he had a very powerful sense of smell.
- Skilled hand-to-hand combatant: The Hellgrammite is a capable hand-to-hand combatant; enough to hold his own against his Alex Danvers.
- Multilingual: Hellgrammites are capable of learning to speak other languages very quickly.
- Stingers: The Hellgrammite is vulnerable to the stingers he ejects from his body, as Alex was able to seriously wound him with one of them.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Hellgrammite is not the name of an alien species but the alias of a mutated human with insectoid features, Roderick Rose. He first appeared as a supervillain and enemy to Batman and the Creeper. Later stories pitted him against Green Arrow, Black Canary, and Superman.