William Lang (1982- May 2018), nicknamed Gridlock by Cisco Ramon, was a meta-human who fought the Flash. As a meta-human with the ability to absorb kinetic energy, Lang used his powers to commit many crimes, including carjacking, robbing from bank vehicles, and causing a plane to crash. However, he was defeated by the Flash and XS. Following his defeat, he was murdered by Cicada, who desired the extermination of all those like him.
Under unknown circumstances, William Lang obtained meta-human powers, using them to commit crimes.
He first appeared after attacking some police officers, but was incapacitated by the Flash. However, the arrival of another speedster distracted the Flash, allowing Lang to take the opportunity to punch him far into the sky.
Lang then boarded an airplane with the hopes to crash it, thereby giving him enough kinetic energy to become virtually invincible. In the time the plane reached zero-g, rendering Lang's powers inept, the Flash, Kid Flash, and XS used their speed to get onto the plane and, with the help of a breach, Wally placed power-dampening cuffs on Lang and knocked him out. After they vibrated to make the airplane phase through the skyscraper and the bridge, he was arrested.
The truck which was transporting Lang to Iron Heights was ambushed by Cicada. Lang battled Cicada, initially seeming to have the upper hand. However, Cicada eventually absorbed his powers using his dagger and brutally beat Lang before stabbing and killing him.
Powers and abilities
- Meta-human physiology: Through unknown means, Lang's DNA was infused with dark matter which altered and supercharged his cells, turning him into a meta-human and thereby allowing him to access to his powers.
- Kinetic energy absorption: Lang can absorb kinetic energy released when someone touches him, and then redirect it to use said energy against them. When using his powers, he generates light blue colored electricity. He later planned to hijack and crash an airplane in order to absorb the kinetic energy.
- Immobilization: If Lang can't move, he is unable to use his powers, as he can only absorb kinetic energy from moving targets. When the plane he hijacked entered zero-g, Lang was unable to use his powers.
- Gridlock mask: Lang wears a mask as his villain alter-ego, Gridlock. It is a black face mask that shows his eyes, nose, and mouth. He wears it with a black jacket with white lines on each side of its chest, with black pants and shoes.
- "" (flashbacks)
- "" (mentioned)
- "" (pictured)
- "" (flashback; television)
- "" (mentioned)
- "" (in Grace's mind; television)
- "" (pictured)
- Lang was Cicada's first kill.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Abner Girdler was a specialist in urban planning and new transport technologies at Technodyne. He proposed to build a monorail in Manchester, Alabama, but at the last moment the project was canceled by County Transportation Commissioner Clifton Berdett. Having lost a lucrative contract, Technodyne went bankrupt, and CEO Leo Nordstrom fired Girdler. Deciding to sabotage the election of Clifton Burdett as mayor, he becomes Gridlock, equipped with a technology capable of stealing kinetic energy from people and objects, leaving them in stasis for about an hour. Gridlock abducted Nordstrom and froze most of Manchester, but was eventually defeated by Impulse.
- Lang's actor, Daniel Cudmore, previously appeared on as Jackhammer in "", in addition to providing the motion capture for Grodd in the episode "".
- Lang's height is 6'2. However, in real life, Daniel Cudmore is about 5 inches taller.