Zari Tarazi (born c. 2009/2010), previously named Zari Adrianna Tomaz in an erased timeline, known as Z to her friends and Khaahar to her brother, was a computer hacker, rogue time traveler, member of the Legends and wielder of the Air Totem, one of the Six Lost Totems of Zambesi. She was an anti-government hacker who fought against the organization A.R.G.U.S. in the year 2042 alongside her brother, Behrad Tarazi until he was killed. When Zari first encountered the Legends, she tricked them into helping her retrieve Behrad's totem back from an A.R.G.U.S. black site.
Zari eventually apologized and agreed to join the Legends as a full-time member. She later developed a relationship with teammate Nate Heywood until sacrificing her memories with the Legends to help save his life. The creation of Heyworld caused the Anti-Meta-human Act of 2021 to never pass which changed Zari's past.
When Zari was young, she refused to participate in the fasting of Ramadan, despite her mother's efforts. Nonetheless, Zari was taught by Nasreen how to cook Iftar and grew to understand the importance of family whilst celebrating Ramadan. In 2018, Zari was taken out to a park by her mother, where they played together on the swing set.
In 2021, A.R.G.U.S. began taking control over the United States and instituted a dictatorship, including banning all religion and meta-humans. As a result, Zari and her family were persecuted for practicing Islam. Together with Behrad, Zari became part of the resistance in adulthood, fighting against A.R.G.U.S.'s control of her home.
Working with the Legends
One night in 2042, A.R.G.U.S. raided Zari's family's home, killing Behrad and confiscating his amulet. Zari and her parents were forced to flee and began living in a remote camp.
Sometime later, Zari was captured by A.R.G.U.S. during an attempt to take back her brother's amulet. As they were transporting her to a prison facility, the truck was stopped by Kuasa, giving Zari time to escape before the former could kill her.
Zari made her way to a hideout to gather supplies, where she was found by the Legends. An A.R.G.U.S. drone found them, but Zari was able to hack it, allowing her to escape. She headed to a bar, where she was intercepted by Mick Rory, attempting to befriend her. They were interrupted by Kuasa, who was fought by Sara Lance. Rory quickly caused a diversion, allowing them to escape and return to the Legends' timeship, the Waverider. Zari agreed to help them capture Kuasa, only on the provision that they help her rescue her brother from an A.R.G.U.S. black site. They infiltrated the site and as all of the inmates escaped, triggered by Jax, Zari went to retrieve an amulet. She admitted to the Legends that she'd played them, but only as the amulet had been her brother's. She went outside, using the amulet to fly away. Zari made her way to her family's camp, followed by the Atom, but found it to be completely destroyed and them not there. Suddenly, Kuasa arrived. Working together, Ray and Zari were able to incapacitate Kuasa, allowing them to run away, but she stopped them in her tracks again. However, the Legends suddenly appeared, providing backup, forcing Kuasa to withdraw.
Joining the Legends
They returned Zari to her hideout, where Rory and Amaya Jiwe convinced her to join the Legends. Amaya explained that Zari's amulet was, in fact, a totem, similar to her own. She offered to teach Zari how to use her powers, which the latter accepted.
On the Waverider, Ray tried to have a team-building routine in honor of Zari joining the group, which she thought was pointless. She then watched Ray disappear in front of her which was a result of him dying in 1988. When the team prepared to travel back to save him, she was excited to actually time travel. They went back to 1988 and she suffered some side effects from the trip as she began speaking French as Ray reappeared. Zari was amazed at how different the world was in 1988 as opposed to 2042. They found young Ray Palmer and followed him to his home where they learned that Ray had a small Dominator in his bedroom. Zari was told all about the team's last encounter with the Dominators and they made a plan to sneak into Ray's room the following day to take the alien back.
The two found the Dominator named Gumball, but found that young Ray was still home and was heading back to the room. Zari hid under Ray's bed while Ray shrunk down. She then watched as young Ray took the Dominator to watch Singin' in the Rain. Suddenly, Ray's mother, Sandy Palmer, arrived home after being informed of Ray skipping school. Zari became nervous when Sandy was close to discovering Gumball and asked for a distraction. When young Ray took Gumball and grown-up Ray into his bag to run, she went after him but he accused her of only wanting Gumball and ran away from her. She tried to go after him but she lost him in the woods. She then found him in a small tent that he made where he role-played being Sir Galahad. She didn't want to play pretend with him but Ray told her that she had to think like a kid to get through to him and played along. Young Ray finally came out with Gumball but they were then ambushed by Smith and his agents.
Zari was rescued by Ray and the duo saved young Ray and Gumball. When escaping from the agents she used her totem to transport herself and little Ray in the sky like E.T. They eventually made it to the other Legends and the Dominator queen, who was reunited with her child. Later on, Zari convinced little Ray to go trick-or-treating with her and the other Legends, though she was not a fan of the costume she was wearing. Later on, Zari bonded with adult Ray by giving his team-building exercise a go and the two watched Singin' in the Rain together while eating Halloween candy.
Zari went to eat breakfast with Sara, Amaya, and Stein, though she was surprised at their simple choices to eat when they could have any food they wanted. As she had gone through life on meager rations, Zari told them that from now on, she would "eat like a queen". She then asked if the Legends could take the Waverider to 2041, as that was the year that her brother had been killed so that she could try and save him from A.R.G.U.S.. However, Sara and Amaya protested that Zari's mission could create unforeseen consequences to the timeline. Before she could try to argue more, Nate called the team to the bridge. There, he explained how one of the outlying anachronisms was in 2042, where they had met Zari. He found another in Victorian London that seemed to be a series of vampire attacks.
Zari was in her room cleaning when she was approached by Amaya. Amaya wanted to talk with her about her totem, but Zari was short with her about it. When Amaya pointed out that it was her brother's legacy, Zari angrily expressed how she didn't want to talk about her brother, especially when she and the other Legends were claiming that she couldn't save him even though she now had a chance to. This ignited her totem, which seemed to resonate with Amaya's. Amaya explained that the reason she hadn't returned to Zambesi was that the two of them were connected. The two then went to the bridge, where Zari met Rip Hunter. Rip Hunter explained to the Legends that he was on the hunt for an evil being by the name of Mallus and the vampire attacks were connected to him.
When Nate had been kidnapped by Sir Henry Stein, Zari went with the team to infiltrate the Order of the Shrouded Compass and rescue him, as well as find the rogue vampire. She infiltrated the club with the team and she was asked to sit for a séance with "Madame Eleanor". Zari's disbelief was evident to Eleanor, who admitted that she too was a skeptic before realizing her power. "Elanor" then went into a trance and Zari heard her speak out in her brother's voice. Zari then heard her younger brother say that it was her fault that he died as she didn't protect him and had run away. Zari tearfully tried to plead to her brother but Amaya broke the séance up. Back at the ship, Zari confessed to Amaya that she did indeed run and left her brother to be killed by A.R.G.U.S. She also didn't want her totem anymore as it was a reminder that she should've died that day, not her brother.
Crisis on Earth-X
When most of the heroes were trapped on Earth-X, Zari, along with the rest of the Legends, rescued the heroes who were trapped in the S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator. She later joined Team Flash, Team Arrow, and the Legends in a battle the against Earth-X Nazis and managed to repel their forces.
The timeline destroyed
During one of the Legends' missions, John Constantine and Charlie were in the jump ship, working on a secret side mission to save John's ex-boyfriend, Desmond, and restore Charlie's shape-shifting powers, but Zari intercepted them and brought them back to the Waverider. There, John told them about Neron, a demon who had sent Desmond to hell and had been hunting John down ever since. Zari left to search for loopholes, but Charlie shape-shifted into John as the real John snuck off the ship. Zari dragged Charlie onto the jump ship and followed him to New Orleans, where he broke up with Desmond, driving the latter out of town. The two girls began quickly flying home to warn Sara of John's actions, but a temporal explosion hit the jump ship, knocking them both backward. When Charlie came to, she was excited to have her powers back, but soon realized that Zari had been turned into a cat.
Baffled by Zari the cat, Charlie decided to bring her back to the Waverider, but not before she dropped herself off at a casino in Las Vegas 1962. When Charlie met Custodians of the Chronology and followed them to the Waverider, she heard Zari in the library and wondered why she was a cat, to which Gideon, who had a holographic full-body human model, explained that the Custodians became homicidal due their disastrous encounter at Woodstock and that the Fairy Godmother, who was also presumably killed, turned Zari into a cat. After the Custodians tried to kill her, Charlie escaped to the jumpship with Zari, flying to the Time Bureau headquarters in 2018.
Charlie then located John there and showed Zari to him, who transmogrified her back into human form, but ultimately returned her back to a cat, as she threatened to set the timeline back to its original course. Trying to return to the jumpship, they had an encounter with Mona, Ava, and again with Custodians of the Chronology, but the three Legends managed to flee, setting a course back to Woodstock 1969 and preventing Sara's death by shooting the unicorn from the jumpship.
Unfortunately, it still didn't solve Zari's cat predicament, so they headed back to the Time Bureau, only for Charlie to see new plaques of commemoration for Nate, Ray, and Mick, who were killed in one of their missions, and meet the new version of the team, the Sirens of Space-Time, who told her of the three's tragic demise by the hands of the Fairy Godmother. Charlie briefed John and Zari on the situation, before the Sirens found her out, but successfully escaped and set a course back to Salem 1692, with John and Zari. After Charlie and John saved Nate, Ray, and Mick from the Fairy Godmother, they returned to the jumpship and found Zari, who was happy not to be a cat anymore until the others helped her realize that she had become a talking puppet.
Searching for an explanation, John was told by the Puppets of Tomorrow that Mick made a bond with the Fairy Godmother, turning the Legends into puppets and becoming his new partner in crime, information that he then shared with Zari and Charlie. Charlie and John continued on to fix the mistakes in the timeline, which returned Zari to her human form until there were no more commemorative plaques of the team in the Time Bureau headquarters. Zari and John were just learning about it from Charlie when John suddenly collapsed due to the number of timelines he was currently experiencing. Zari was listening while Charlie tried to persuade John to make the compromised timeline work, but he realized that nothing they do will be in their favor, and told Charlie to have hope in her powers as he did with saving Desmond. When Charlie disagreed and tried to fight them, Zari used her air totem to knock her out and fled with John.
Charlie, eventually realizing that she was what the Legends needed to be peaceful to the fugitives, infiltrated the Waverider and distracted a still-homicidal Sara as John did his part in New Orleans. Zari was waiting on the jumpship when a time wave, caused by the past John and Desmond's restored love, reverted the timeline to its original state. Charlie, Zari, and John then returned to the Waverider and rejoiced as time was finally and truly fixed. The two girls then left John to tell Sara their time-traveling tale. Once they were in private, Charlie apologized to Zari for stuffing her in a backpack but also, more importantly, for getting off on the wrong foot. Charlie explained that she kept coming back to Amaya's form not because of her attractiveness, as Zari pointed out, but because it was the form she had when she joined the Legends, the first-ever team that held a special place in her heart. Zari forgave Charlie, telling her that destroying history for personal gain had happened to almost everyone on the team, including herself. The two reconciled, and Charlie teased Zari about finding Amaya, hence her, attractive.
Fixing the timeline
After the Legends drastically changed the timeline due to the creation of and the events that transpired in Heyworld, Zari was replaced by her brother, Behrad Tarazi as the owner of the Air Totem and a member of the Legends. However, before being corrected by the timeline, she filmed a fail-safe video that would play for Nate if she ever disappeared, in which she asked him to find her.
When the Legends altered the timeline at Heyworld, Zari became famous, eventually becoming a socialite and an entrepreneur. When Behrad and Nate visited her family for her father's birthday, Zari began to grow suspicious when she noticed Behrad had the Air Totem and he and Nate hadn't aged a day since 2019. Before she could reveal the truth to her parents, Behrad transported Zari aboard the Waverider.
- "Hey, I know what it's like to lose the people you love in a senseless war. It makes you desperate, but... if you really want peace, it starts with you."
- —Zari Tomaz to Anh Ly[src]
Haunted by the loss of her brother, Behrad Tarazi, and hardened from years of growing up in a dystopian future where she and other individuals with powers were hunted, Zari Tomaz generally presents herself as a cynical and gruff survivor who prefers to keep other people at arm's length; she was initially unenthusiastic at the prospect of joining the Legends due to not feeling like any sort of team player. Zari tends to resort to sarcasm or blunt honesty as a means of communicating feelings, a quality she shares with Mick Rory.
Zari has a very reserved personality, never wanting to show vulnerability; she tends to bottle up her difficult emotions of sadness and regret, likely because that's what she's done/had to do her entire life. Similarly, Zari seems to have slight anger management issues that cause her to do selfish acts, regardless of their effect on the timeline. However, she opened up about this to Sara Lance, who understood and promised to help her express emotions in a healthy way.
However, Zari's disposition is not entirely sour; besides her dry and teasing sense of humor, she is proven to have some talent in video games and enjoys playing them in her spare time. More noteworthy, Zari is capable of empathy and compassion as the situation warranted, shown as when she connected with Ray Palmer's child-self and actually did so more successfully than Ray himself. Her display of similar empathy and kindness to Prudence Hawthorne and a young Nora Darhk would seem to suggest that she has a general soft spot for children. Zari was also just as devastated emotionally by the death of Martin Stein as all of her teammates were. Upon the news of his sacrifice, she sat with Ray, Nate Heywood, and Amaya Jiwe as they mourned and even attended his funeral.
Zari has also shown romantic and even motherly traits since joining the Legends. After faking a relationship with Nate for the latter's parents, they began to experience real feelings for each other. Zari was initially afraid to accept these feelings, allowing Sunjay to easily seduce her, but she came around with the help of Mona Wu and was the first to make a move towards a real relationship and confess her feelings to Nate. After their first-date mission, Zari and Nate acquired the egg of a dragon, whom they chose to care for themselves. They have since given it a name, incubated it, and taken turns holding the egg to provide skin-to-skin contact. All of this indicates that despite Zari's outer image of hardened survival instincts and practiced cynicism, there is a kind, gentle side to her as well.
Zari has great pride in her Muslim roots, as it is the only thing that she believes still keeps her connected to her family. Throughout her time-traveling adventures with the Legends, Zari honored her traditions by celebrating Ramadan, even though the hunger was making her incredibly irritable.
Powers and abilities
Erased timeline powers
- Air Totem: Zari's powers come from the Air Totem, a totem that channels and harnesses the power of the air. However, after the timeline changed, Zari never received the totem from her brother since he was never killed.
- Aerokinesis: The Air Totem grants Zari the power to manipulate and generate the air, bending it in whichever way she wanted.
- Air blasts: The totem allows Zari to fire offensive or defensive blasts of air from her hands.
- Vortex generation: The totem allows Zari to generate a powerful vortex to shield herself. It's unknown exactly how powerful it is, although in the medically-induced virtually reality Gideon put her in, Zari utilized this power in an attempt to protect the rest of the team and the ship from a bomb.
- Flight: The totem allows Zari to fly and she can also give others this ability, as shown with a young Ray Palmer.
- De-oxygenation: Zari has demonstrated the power to siphon the air out of people's lungs, eventually causing them to die of hypoxia. However, she has never used it to that extent.
- Aerokinesis: The Air Totem grants Zari the power to manipulate and generate the air, bending it in whichever way she wanted.
- Totem recall: Zari has the ability to "call" her totem to her if she currently does not possess it.
- Totem connection: Since Zari is the wielder of one of the Six Lost Totems of Zambesi, she has a connection to the other totems. This connection even allowed Zari to sense Kuasa's death.
- Genius-level intellect/Computer specialist/Master computer hacker: Zari is a highly intelligent, experienced computer hacker, as she was able to easily hack into Gideon's mainframe.
- Bilingual: Zari is capable of fluently speaking English and Farsi.
- Expert deceiver/Manipulator: Zari has an exceptional understanding of how to blend in with society, particularly with the social elite, as seen when she was able to get herself and the Legends into Marie Antoinette's party. Zari is also fairly competent in manipulating individuals, coming up with a partially-successful plan to draw Marie Antoinette away from her own party.
- Eidetic memory: Zari possesses perfect memory recall, as she was able to instantly recall that she hadn't had a donut in 1743 days.
Erased timeline abilities
- Genius-level intellect/Computer specialist/Master computer hacker: Zari is a highly intelligent, experienced computer hacker, as she was able to hack into an A.R.G.U.S. drone to pixelate her image, allowing her to escape from it. Zari was even able to hack into the Waverider's subsystems, although Gideon knew about it after she did so. Zari also created an advanced computer simulation that would allow the Legends to find "loopholes" in the timeline if needed when they are fixing anachronisms.
- Bilingual: Zari is capable of fluently speaking English and Arabic.
- Expert engineer: Zari is proven to be a highly skilled engineer, as she able to easily repair the Waverider. After the departures of Jefferson Jackson and her co-engineer Wally West, she is now the main engineer of the ship.
- Timeline/Reality awareness: Zari has an adept ability to find small "loopholes" in the timeline that she can break without severely damaging it. She has used this skill to send Helen of Troy to Themyscira in her time period instead of Troy, and save the life of Jane Hawthorne.
- Expert hand-to-hand combatant: Zari is proven to have well-coordinated fighting styles such as boxing and krav maga, as seen during the resurrection of Damien Darhk and while saving Helen of Troy. Zari was even skilled enough to roughly hold her own against Sara Lance for a time when the latter was possessed by Mallus but was eventually subdued.
- Culinary expertise: Having been taught by her mother, Nasreen, Zari is an accomplished cook, particularly with her cultural dishes; she prepared an entire Iftar feast to celebrate the end of Ramadan.
- Violinist: Zari is shown to be a skilled violinist, as she taught herself how to play the violin during a sedative-induced simulation. After waking up, she flawlessly performed Vivaldi's '"L'inverno" (Winter) Concerto No. 4 in F minor, Op. 8, 4 'Winter': Largo'.
- Dancing: Zari is a very talented dancer, as shown when she danced with Sunjay in a Bollywood dance number.
- Singing: Zari has proven to be a good singer, as seen when she sang with Kamadeva, Sara, Charlie, and Mona.
- Stealth/Escape artist: As a former vigilante, Zari learned to stealthily get herself out of dangerous situations; when Kuasa attacked an A.R.G.U.S. truck transporting her, Zari was able to quickly break out of her handcuffs and flee the scene while Kuasa was occupied by the drivers.
Erased timeline equipment
- Totem necklace: Zari originally summoned the power of the Air Totem by touching a golden necklace that contained it. The necklace was destroyed when the populace Salem tried to burn Zari at the stake.
- Suits: Zari's first suit was a white dress with gold accents that she wore as a Halloween costume. Later, during the Earth-X invasion of Earth-1, Zari received a new suit in black and gold from the Waverider's fabricator.
- Totem wristband: When Zari's necklace was burned in Salem, Ray Palmer designed her a special bracelet that allows her to bear the Air Totem at all times. The bracelet is also programmed to operate as a smartwatch and pedometer.
- Dragonusk: Zari has a brand of perfume known as Dragonusk, presumably since she is known as "Dragon Girl". The perfume turned out to block the user's olfactory sensors, which rendered them immune to the effect of Marie Antoinette's magical perfume.
Erased timeline equipment
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
- Zari is a fan of musicals.
- Zari enjoys playing video games, especially Mortal Kombat.
- She knows how to play the violin.
- Zari has at least minor claustrophobia, a fear of confined spaces.
- She loves cats.
- Zari is the sixth character in the Arrowverse to have an episode named after her in a civilian sense, after Sara Lance, Felicity Smoak, Harrison Wells, Oliver Queen, and Alex Danvers.
- She is also the third character in the Arrowverse to have an episode title be solely her name, after Sara and Alex.
- According to her rap sheet, which was pulled up by Gideon before she joined the Legends, Zari was charged with burglary, larceny, grand larceny, identity theft, trespassing, digital trespassing, meta-human smuggling, and conspiracy.
- Zari was also charged with multiple religious infractions, due to her being Muslim and the fact that religion was made illegal by 2042.
Behind the scenes
- In DC comics, Adrianna Tomaz is known as the superhero Isis. She is able to use a mystical amulet (identical to her totem on the show) to harness the Powers of Isis using the incantation "I Am Isis", granting her power over the elements. Isis also has a younger brother who becomes the superhero Osiris. Her amulet and her brother's powers were given to them by Black Adam, whom Isis was in a relationship with. The two eventually married and ruled Kahndaq.
- Andrea Thomas, the first character to be known as the superhero Isis, debuted in the TV series The Secrets of Isis portrayed by Joanna Cameron. Cameron also appeared as Andrea Thomas/Isis in several episodes of the TV series Shazam!.
- A version of Isis appeared in the Smallville episode, "Isis". In that episode, an amulet, which contained the spirit of the Isis, took over the body of Lois Lane.
- According to Shayan Sobhian, the reason for the change of Zari’s last name is because of changes to the timeline.
- Tarazi is Zari's original family name. However, due to the banning of religions in the original timeline, her family was forced to change their last name to Tomaz. Since this timeline is now erased, her family's surname is no longer Tomaz.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 ""
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 ""
- ↑ Legends of Tomorrow adds Tala Ashe as a visitor from the future - Entertainment Weekly
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 ""
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 ""
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6 6.7 6.8 6.9 ""
- ↑ ""
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 ""
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 ""
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 ""
- ↑ ""
- ↑ ""
- ↑ ""
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 14.3 14.4 ""
- ↑ ""
- ↑ ""
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 ""
- ↑ ""
- ↑ ""
- ↑ ""
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 21.2 ""
- ↑ ""
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 23.2 ""
- ↑ ""
- ↑ ""
- ↑ ""
- ↑ 27.0 27.1 ""