Mary had been born to a leader of the cult known as the Resurrection Crusade. One day, Mary ran away and had been on a run from them since. To avoid drawing attention to herself she stopped using her real name and started going by the name "Zed".With her psychic powers, she began seeing visions of John Constantine and drew sketches of him.
Powers and abilities
- Extrasensory perception: Zed has psychic powers, which often come useful when working with John Constantine.
- Precognition: Zed can look into a person's future to an extent. When she once looked into Jim Corrigan's, she foresaw his death.
- Empathy: When Zed touched Constantine's bare skin, she was able to sense his loneliness, pain, desperation, and guilt, and realize these emotions were what motivated him.
- Artistic skill: Zed is a talented sketch artist.
- Expert thief: Zed is a talented pickpocket, enough to steal from John Constantine, who is more alert than the common person.
- Multilingual: Zed is capable of fluently speaking English and Spanish. She can also understand sign language, able to translate the deaf Freddy's witness statement for Constantine.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC Comics, Mary Martin, also known as Zed and the Mary, a psychic artist who met John Constantine in a London alleyway, she was recruited by an extremist Christian group called 'The Resurrection Crusade' to bear the Second Coming, which Constantine stopped from happening.