- "You see John, I've been waiting for you and you found me. I don't know what I've been waiting for and you don't know what you found. Question is, are we gonna help each other out or not?"
- —Zed Martin to John Constantine[src]
Mary had been born to a leader of the cult known as the Resurrection Crusade. One day, Mary ran away and had been on a run from them since. To avoid drawing attention to herself she stopped using her real name and started going by the name "Zed".
Meeting John Constantine
Powers and abilities
- Extrasensory perception: Zed has psychic powers, which often come useful when working with John Constantine.
- Precognition: Zed can look into a person's future to an extent. When she once looked into Jim Corrigan's, she foresaw his death.
- Empathy: When Zed touched Constantine's bare skin, she was able to sense his loneliness, pain, desperation, and guilt, and realize these emotions were what motivated him.
- Artistic skill: Zed is a talented sketch artist.
- Expert thief: Zed is a talented pickpocket, enough to steal from John Constantine, who is more alert than the common person.
- Multilingual: Zed is capable of fluently speaking English and Spanish. She can also understand sign language, able to translate the deaf Freddy's witness statement for Constantine.
Behind the scenes
- In the DC Comics, Mary Martin, also known as Zed and the Mary, a psychic artist who met John Constantine in a London alleyway, she was recruited by an extremist Christian group called 'The Resurrection Crusade' to bear the Second Coming, which Constantine stopped from happening.