Zombies are a type of creature created either through the reanimation of human corpses or degradation of a human through infection. There are several different types of zombies which vary in their creation and their abilities.
- 1 Overview
- 2 History
- 3 Powers and abilities
- 4 Known zombies
- 5 Appearances
- 6 References
Zombies is a term used to refer to any creature who appear to be in a decayed state, either through the reanimation of deceased corpse or infection from a substance that degrades their physiology. These methods of zombification include; lightning strikes, Time Wraiths, the TX-90 virus, Ramsey Rosso's infected blood, and magic.
Lightning strike reanimated zombies
- "A zombie?... For real?"
- —Cisco upon seeing Woodard[src]
In 2015, after Team Flash's attempt to have Barry regain his powers in a recreated particle accelerator explosion, the energy wave it released somehow reactivated part of Tony Woodward's brain, causing him to return to life in a zombie-like state. Tony broke out of S.T.A.R. Labs and began retracing his steps from his last attack. Once Team Flash finally determined what he wanted, Iris decided to act as a bait for him to get him to come back to S.T.A.R. labs. Cisco and Harry Wells tried to shut down his brain using a pair of powerful electromagnets, but to no avail. Once Barry came back from the Speed Force, he used his spin to create enough energy to supercharge the electromagnets, giving them enough power to finally put Tony to rest for good.
- "The Flash pulled me from the timeline. He held me captive for months; and when I finally got loose, I found myself... pursued by something. I thought it was a Time Wraith; the monsters that hunt speedsters who mess with time. But, whatever's hunting me is far worse than a Time Wraith."
- —Thawne about Black Flash[src]
After losing a race to Barry and attempting to destroy the multiverse, Time Wraiths appeared and imprisoned Hunter Zolomon in the Speed Force, while reducing him to a decayed zombie-like form known as Black Flash. Due to being bound to the Speed Force's will, the transformed Zoom could only detect speedsters as living beings; it ignored anyone else. Its primary job was to erase time remnants like Thawne and Savitar when they were no longer supposed to exist in the current timeline.
TX-90 virus zombies
- "That looks like a...."
"Don't say it!
- —Jax and Stein[src]
In 1863, at the height of the Civil War, a time pirate infected with the TX-90 virus crash-landed in Mississippi. The effects of the virus turned the pirate into a zombie-like creature as well as infecting a group of Confederate soldiers who had found the crashed vessel. When the Legends arrived to answer the pirate's distress beacon, they encountered Union army dispatch Henry Scott, who was being chased by a group zombies. Though the Legends easily defeat the zombies, Scott was mortally wounded in the process, and with his dying breath he tasked the team with his mission of stealing secret Confederate battle plans from the Collins Plantation. Mick Rory was also wounded in the battle, having been bitten by one of the infected soldiers, and he was taken aboard the Waverider for medical treatment. Ray and Martin managed to heal Mick and Sara and Nate defeated the zombies, fixing the timeline.
A type of meta-human called the Blood Brothers, were zombie-like beings that were created by Dr. Ramsey Rosso/Bloodwork. While some Blood Brothers are still alive and can be returned to their proper living state, others are properly reanimated from death.
Powers and abilities
- Immortality: Being already dead, zombies are incapable of dying of natural causes. Though they are capable of being physically damaged to the point where they can no longer function.
- Lack of pain: Unable to feel pain, zombies are unaffected by any damage or crippling injury that they sustain, which even includes surviving decapitation. The only way to permanently put them down is a head-shot or complete destruction of their body.
- Self-sustenance: Zombies are somehow able to keep moving for long periods of time without water or food.
- Stamina: The zombies are capable of exerting themselves for long periods of time; without getting tired.
- Soul detection: An ability only demonstrated by zombies created supernaturally by Atropos. These zombies are able to detect the presence of humans with souls and will be attracted to them, which is shown when John Constantine who had no soul at the time was ignored by the zombies.
- Mortality detection: Another ability only demonstrated by Atropos' zombies. These zombies were shown to be aware that the Legends were immortal and waited until their immortality expired before attacking; meanwhile, they actively pursued Zari Tarazi because they could sense her mortality.
- Teamwork: Fragile and deprived of intellect the zombies are capable of rudimentary forms of teamwork to bring down their prey. Using numbers they were able to systematically restrain and kill Sara Lance and several of the other Legends.
- Lack of intellect: Acting mostly instinctive and feral, zombies are unable to use equipment, plan ahead, or anticipate plans to counter them.
- Weakened body structure: As many bodies are in a decayed state, it is fairly easy to dismember them.
- Tony Woodward (deceased)
- Hunter Zolomon/Black Flash (deceased)
- Mick Rory (cured)
- Blood Brothers (cured)
- Many Confederate soldiers (deceased)
- Crew of Supernatural (deceased)
- London citizens (unknown, possibly erased due to Loomworld)
DC's Legends of Tomorrow